King Karlsson - The Captain and The Playoff Warrior

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Karlsson is one of the best players in the game right now. Not THE best, people need to calm the hell down.

Classy player though, hard to not like the guy.

Nobody needs to calm down, cuz nobody's angry, agitated, or excited. People's opinion based on what they see, hear, and perceive.

No hesitation in calling Karlsson the best - the most singular player responsible for Ottawa's 2016-2017 season run. Fans from the outside can see how much Ottawa relies on their lone superstar competing without a game breaking number one centre.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Karlsson is clearly the best defensemen in the league.

But I have him at 3rd-4th in the league
1.Crosby: Too good for too long
2. McDavid: Has burst onto the scene and is playing Crosby-esque hockey
3/4. Karlsson/Malkin

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
People can be so of the moment. I guess that's the world we live in these days. Karlsson is one of the best players in the world. People do act like he is flawless though which I get a kick out of. His defensive game is not what I'd call "good" but it won't get really critiqued for obvious reasons.

He'll win a Cup one day. Don't think it'll be with Ottawa though.

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
People can be so of the moment. I guess that's the world we live in these days. Karlsson is one of the best players in the world. People do act like he is flawless though which I get a kick out of. His defensive game is not what I'd call "good" but it won't get really critiqued for obvious reasons.

Huh?

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010

You're right he isn't "good" defensively he is great.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Too hard to compare dmen to forwards. The best forward in the league will usually get the nod over the best dman.

You have to separate them. Best forward, best dman, best goalie.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

3/4. Karlsson/Malkin

I'd agree with this. Though I wouldn't really argue with anyone who wants to put Karlsson as a 2/3 with McDavid there instead of 3/4 with Malkin. And that gap from 1 to 2 is certainly smaller than it has been since Ovi was at the top of his game.

Too hard to compare dmen to forwards. The best forward in the league will usually get the nod over the best dman.

You have to separate them. Best forward, best dman, best goalie.

I also think this is fair. And in that version, EK is the clear cut top D.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Just saying: No one has stood out as much as Karlsson in this year's playoffs in the many games I've watched. Just an opinion.

Fitch89

Sep 11, 2011
I don't think it's possible to argue that anyone in the league is a clear cut #1. IMO Crosby, Karlsson, Malkin and McDavid are all the top and you could put together highlights and lowlights for each of them to argue your case for/against. Maybe it's just the games I've seen of Pittsburgh, but I honestly think I'd have a hard time taking Crosby over Malkin (and I really am not a fan of Malkin due to the number of hacking/slashing etc.) because he seems to be such a game breaker and has that ability to step it up an extra notch. That being said, if I could only pick one of the four, I'd take Karlsson just because of the additional ice time he gets as a defensemen and he is able to quarterback the offence while also being strong defensively. Hypothetically if there was a clear cut #1 and #2, would you rather have the #1 playing 20 minutes a game or the #2 playing 26 minutes a game? I know which one I'd take...

CenturionOne

Jun 28, 2011
Expatria

3/4. Karlsson/Malkin

Are you saying 3/4 are interchangeable, regardless off position?

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
I don't think it's possible to argue that anyone in the league is a clear cut #1. IMO Crosby, Karlsson, Malkin and McDavid are all the top and you could put together highlights and lowlights for each of them to argue your case for/against. Maybe it's just the games I've seen of Pittsburgh, but I honestly think I'd have a hard time taking Crosby over Malkin (and I really am not a fan of Malkin due to the number of hacking/slashing etc.) because he seems to be such a game breaker and has that ability to step it up an extra notch. That being said, if I could only pick one of the four, I'd take Karlsson just because of the additional ice time he gets as a defensemen and he is able to quarterback the offence while also being strong defensively. Hypothetically if there was a clear cut #1 and #2, would you rather have the #1 playing 20 minutes a game or the #2 playing 26 minutes a game? I know which one I'd take...

It's not about highlights and lowlights to determine that, at the end of the day which individual is the single most valuable player to his team? Just judging by team depth and their relative success in the full season/post season, Karlsson is that individual. Offensively and defensively. The top two-way player in the game, by a margin.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad