Post-Game Talk: King Auston re-takes his seat on the Throne. Leafs beat Sharks 5-3!

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Feels like I have to mention Dermott after every game these days, he's playing some great hockey. That play where his stick broke leading to a partial break against, and he was still able to recover and absolutely man handle the Shark. His raw tools are insane.

frizzer1

Oct 19, 2013
Don't forget that Leivo basically lost 2 years. He has to be stale and it must affect his puckhandling.
And now he really seems to be improving...he is hard on the puck in the corners..big body, big shot...
Right now he does everything better than brown imo.

frizzer1

Oct 19, 2013
It's hard to understand what is going on with the pk...it has been really off lately..
Is it Hyman and brown?
Is it hainsey?
and why do people keep saying that Hyman and brown are so good on the pk..what are they doing that gives that impression?

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Feels like I have to mention Dermott after every game these days, he's playing some great hockey. That play where his stick broke leading to a partial break against, and he was still able to recover and absolutely man handle the Shark. His raw tools are insane.
What made that more impressive was the Sharks he manhandled was Evander Kane.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
It's hard to understand what is going on with the pk...it has been really off lately..
Is it Hyman and brown?
Is it hainsey?
and why do people keep saying that Hyman and brown are so good on the pk..what are they doing that gives that impression?

Probably just off of some historical data .. The Leafs have an the 10th/11th ranked PK the last two seasons - not amazing or elite, but good and those two play a lot of minutes on it.

It's dropped to 20th recently though after starting the year strong.

Reactions: frizzer1

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Probably just off of some historical data .. The Leafs have an the 10th/11th ranked PK the last two seasons - not amazing or elite, but good and those two play a lot of minutes on it.

the PK has been mostly good because of Andersen. Leafs are 4th worst in the league in expected goals against/60 on the PK for the last two years, but they have the 4th best save percentage. this year they're 9th worst in expected goals against, which is a small improvement, but still pretty lousy. they've gotten mediocre goaltending so the PK is starting to look weak, even though it pretty much always has been

BertCorbeau

Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
the PK has been mostly good because of Andersen. Leafs are 4th worst in the league in expected goals against/60 on the PK for the last two years, but they have the 4th best save percentage. this year they're 9th worst in expected goals against, which is a small improvement, but still pretty lousy. they've gotten mediocre goaltending so the PK is starting to look weak, even though it pretty much always has been

Well there you go :laugh:

How close are those margins on the expecting goals against/60? I'm curious about the data

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Well there you go :laugh:

How close are those margins on the expecting goals against/60? I'm curious about the data
like how much have the Leafs outperformed expectations, or how do they compare to other penalty kills? for the former, Leafs were expected to let in 7.81 goals against per 60 minutes of PK time, but ended up only letting in 6.11. that's about 22 more PP goals they should have allowed over the last 2 years with average goaltending.

for the latter, 8 expected goals against per 60 is the worst over that time frame, and 6.04 is the best. so Leafs are definitely a lot closer to the worst PK team than the best. it's a gap of maybe 10-15 extra goals against per year. Of course, the Leafs hardly ever take penalties so that helps

BertCorbeau

Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
like how much have the Leafs outperformed expectations, or how do they compare to other penalty kills? for the former, Leafs were expected to let in 7.81 goals against per 60 minutes of PK time, but ended up only letting in 6.11. that's about 22 more PP goals they should have allowed over the last 2 years with average goaltending.

for the latter, 8 expected goals against per 60 is the worst over that time frame, and 6.04 is the best. so Leafs are definitely a lot closer to the worst PK team than the best. it's a gap of maybe 10-15 extra goals against per year. Of course, the Leafs hardly ever take penalties so that helps

Ah I see - I was referring to how they compare to other PK's, like the rankings of expected goals against. I'm just curious to see what the difference are from the top end to the bottom end are and how significant it is.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Ah I see - I was referring to how they compare to other PK's, like the rankings of expected goals against. I'm just curious to see what the difference are from the top end to the bottom end are and how significant it is.
well for the Leafs, it's significant when they're on a PK because they're generally pretty bad. However, they're hardly ever killing penalties. If they can stay out of the box in the playoffs and get good goaltending they'll be fine

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
The penalty kill is not as efficient as before because Hainsey is on it.

Hainsey at 37 years old is unable to make many plays anymore.

Remember Hainsey use to play the entire two minutes of the kill?

Do we not see that anymore.

When Hainsey is out there on the PK, it is not 5 against 4, it is 5 against 3½.

:hyper:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad