Killing Time Thread: Movies, Music, etc. Anything SFW That Kills Time Part 3

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
I eat Salmon around once a week. So easy to prepare. We tend to be more health conscious than most so we usually just poach it with lemon pepper, lemon slices, some capers on top. Occasionally a homemade salsa on top of that when served, consisting of peppers, onion, tomato that is finely chopped and sitting refrigerated with some nice olive oil. we occasionally barbecue it, but thats requiring the full salmon fillets with skin on. Salmon is fantastic, and fantastic for you.

Ahi Tuna is a another great. By either frozen vs fresh for cost reduction. We poach them right out of the freezer, no problem.

Sole is harder to get now at reasonable prices but we used to make a nice sole dinner with peppers, onions, garlic, broth, wine reduction, and some lemon pepper, capers, etc. serve over rice, to die for. People substitute snapper. or maybe basa. Stay away from filipia or cod if you don't like fish smell, or more locally stay away from Northern Pike. Slimey awful things.

Salmon, Tuna, Sole, Basa, these are pretty light tasting fish that even "I hate fish" people generally learn to like. All of them really good for you.

Out of a can I make a Linguine el Tuna that is awesome. Tuna also can work (sounds strange) as a protein base in Mac N Cheese. We throw pepper in there and veggies to make it different, but full meal deal nutrition wise. Fish do really well with lemon, and with pepper. Capers as mentioned as well.
Just don't have Tuna from Subway :sarcasm:

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
Salmon is my favorite meal. So simple to make. We buy the Atlantic fillets from Costco. Skinless, boneless and very tasty. Make it in the skillet, with lemon juice, seasoned salt, lemon pepper and dill. Add wild rice and broccoli and carrots, and you have my perfect meal.

Do you get the frozen or fresh fillets from Costco? The only frozen ones that I can find have skin on them.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Another Salmon recipe. This is a great leftovers recipe;

DANSKE FISKEFRIKADELLER — victorias health kitchen.

Basically you want left over potatoes, preferably mashed. You can used left over Salmon or Canned Salmon for this. We do it a bit different and add a stoneground mustard, lemon, some bread crumbs or flour (I use gluten free because I'm celiac) and you mash everything together in a bowl until it is a nice consistency. Throw some finely chopped parsley, chives, green onions in there if you got them. if mixture is too moist throw a bit of extra bread crumbs in. Roll out into balls and bake in oven as the recipe says. Dont be shy with the lemon in this, I find it really brings out the flavors. This is the most awesome snack food or appetizer. Friends will be very impressed. We used to make these in a pan fried in lots of olive oil but its harder to fry them, The oven works fine.

Also, for those that don't know get used to using a lot of lemon, and or lime in your cooking. even to squeeze as a topping on food, Lime works great with Asian foods. Also start your day drinking lemon or lime water that you put in fridge night before. Sliced lemons and limes, thats it, and its a great water to drink in the morning which reinforces drinking water, plus limes/lemons suppress appetite and prime digestion. You can't start your day better. I'm a run drinker, I even save the sliced limes I put in my rum and coke and drink water that way all the next day. The flavor lasts for several glasses. Something about rum really causes the limes to release all their tasty goodness.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Salmon is my favorite meal. So simple to make. We buy the Atlantic fillets from Costco. Skinless, boneless and very tasty. Make it in the skillet, with lemon juice, seasoned salt, lemon pepper and dill. Add wild rice and broccoli and carrots, and you have my perfect meal.

Trust me, toss some capers in there, instead of the seasoned salt, you'll probably like it, but otherwise sounds great.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Do you get the frozen or fresh fillets from Costco? The only frozen ones that I can find have skin on them.

imageService

This is the one we get. Frozen, no skin, no bones.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
this is what feeds me twice a week, and its so good it almost taste fresh.

It’s the one food item that I freak out when they are sold out of it, which isn’t often, so I always make sure I have two bags in the freezer. For those that don’t like salmon because the taste is too rich, try these and you’ll be pleasantly surprised by the milder taste.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
It’s the one food item that I freak out when they are sold out of it, which isn’t often, so I always make sure I have two bags in the freezer. For those that don’t like salmon because the taste is too rich, try these and you’ll be pleasantly surprised by the milder taste.

For clarity though that is farmed salmon, not wild , and Costco has had controversy before with some of their sources, particularly chilean, I think they now go with Norwegian, although it says Atlantic. Costco unfortunately have misnamed their salmon and afairc were forced to start calling it farmed, because thats what it is, its not wild.

its a shame in Canada of all places, just one province away from the wetcoast that should have decent wild salmon stock, that some retailers push this instead. Just saying. Costco should be doing better than this farmed salmon product, in Alberta Canada. Indeed thats one problem with Costco that sometimes they forcefeed inferior product through their entire food chain, excuse pun. But selling farmed Salmon to Canadians is poor form.

In anycase I recommend that Canadian consumers, and particularly western Canada, consume Wild Pacific salmon, with most of our supply here being sourced in North Pacific. This being vastly superior, and healthier product to Farmed Salmon.

Ethically as well eating farmed salmon, and supporting that market is harmful to wild salmon as fish farms typically introduce all kinds of health issues in species, diseases, and heavy antibiotic use is required in fish farms

Several groceries here stock wild pacific salmon (frozen or fresh) at decent prices. Prefer that to farmed for many reasons.

Curious how much they are charging for those packs.

Last edited:
Reactions: McFuhryous

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
They are excellent, and IMO the best frozen ones you can find.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
For clarity though that is farmed salmon, not wild , and Costco has had controversy before with some of their sources, particularly chilean, I think they now go with Norwegian, although it says Atlantic. Costco unfortunately have misnamed their salmon and afairc were forced to start calling it farmed, because thats what it is, its not wild.

its a shame in Canada of all places, just one province away from the wetcoast that should have decent wild salmon stock, that some retailers push this instead. Just saying. Costco should be doing better than this farmed salmon product, in Alberta Canada. Indeed thats one problem with Costco that sometimes they forcefeed inferior product through their entire food chain, excuse pun. But selling farmed Salmon to Canadians is poor form.

In anycase I recommend that Canadian consumers, and particularly western Canada, consume Wild Pacific salmon, with most of our supply here being sourced in North Pacific. This being vastly superior, and healthier product to Farmed Salmon.

Ethically as well eating farmed salmon, and supporting that market is harmful to wild salmon as fish farms typically introduce all kinds of health issues in species, diseases, and heavy antibiotic use is required in fish farms

Several groceries here stock wild pacific salmon (frozen or fresh) at decent prices. Prefer that to farmed for many reasons.

I find wild salmon more often than not is too rich for me. For me, this is a much better alternative. But to each his own.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I find wild salmon more often than not is too rich for me. For me, this is a much better alternative. But to each his own.

Oh for sure, its all just preference. I was just giving some background on why people might want to try wild instead, all good. Albeit the Wife is Scottish so I know first hand a lot of problems with farmed salmon. They've been doing it there a lot longer than around here.

Reactions: bellagiobob

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007

Safeway sells a wild caught Pacific salmon. I don't recall the brand but a package of two, each being roughly 18" long inside is about $18. When on sale, they go for about $12. They are filleted with skin on. As little as I eat them, this is what I buy when I do.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Safeway sells a wild caught Pacific salmon. I don't recall the brand but a package of two, each being roughly 18" long inside is about $18. When on sale, they go for about $12. They are filleted with skin on. As little as I eat them, this is what I buy when I do.

Those ones work fine on the Barbecue. To prevent drying out put a tin of water in there inside the barbecue. also baste with lemon, bit of olive oil, lemon pepper. Salmon dries out easy and cooks fast, so gotta watch it. Seems to work better if the buggers are still somewhat frozen. Have to close barbecue lid everytime to keep it moist, and for inner temp of the salmon to be cooked.

For poaching I just use the usual 4 to a pack Wild Pacific Salmon divided frozen portions. Sometimes I can get them in packs of 10 portions.

Also these air fry really really well. Great taste. Should have mentioned that before.

Reactions: McFuhryous

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Those ones work fine on the Barbecue. To prevent drying out put a tin of water in there inside the barbecue. also baste with lemon, bit of olive oil, lemon pepper. Salmon dries out easy and cooks fast, so gotta watch it. Seems to work better if the buggers are still somewhat frozen. Have to close barbecue lid everytime to keep it moist, and for inner temp of the salmon to be cooked.

For poaching I just use the usual 4 to a pack Wild Pacific Salmon divided frozen portions. Sometimes I can get them in packs of 10 portions.

Also these air fry really really well. Great taste. Should have mentioned that before.

I generally just bake them in the oven with some seasonings but make a sour cream, lemon juice, seasoning salt and dill mix to spread on it (after baking). Such a simple mix but tastes so good. I really wish I could remember the whisky maple marinade I made that one time, but just in case all the alcohol doesn't evaporate out cooking, I couldn't make it for the family anyways. I usually have plain Greek yogurt on the fridge moreso than sour cream so that makes for a quick sub in a pinch.

My son loves seafood. He'll eat sushi, loves basa, crab and lobster. Little fart has expensive taste for a 10 year old so he better be rich when he grows up :laugh:.

I'm out of cupboard space to get an air fryer but I've heard good things about them.

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
I’m sold. Thanks for that, I’ll give it a try and report back!

Reactions: bellagiobob

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
I think you'll like salmon, it has a more gentle aroma n doesn't smell oceany/fishy like tuna can.

There with some butter, lemon n garlic, it's drool worthy
Funny, I just never thought to try salmon before as my family is big on tuna.... except my spouse. She hates sea food lol.

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
I eat Salmon around once a week. So easy to prepare. We tend to be more health conscious than most so we usually just poach it with lemon pepper, lemon slices, some capers on top. Occasionally a homemade salsa on top of that when served, consisting of peppers, onion, tomato that is finely chopped and sitting refrigerated with some nice olive oil. we occasionally barbecue it, but thats requiring the full salmon fillets with skin on. Salmon is fantastic, and fantastic for you.

Ahi Tuna is a another great. By either frozen vs fresh for cost reduction. We poach them right out of the freezer, no problem.

Sole is harder to get now at reasonable prices but we used to make a nice sole dinner with peppers, peppercorns, Sometimes chicken jumbo soup, onions, garlic, broth, wine reduction, and some lemon pepper, capers, etc. serve over rice, to die for. People substitute snapper. or maybe basa. Stay away from filipia or cod if you don't like fish smell, or more locally stay away from Northern Pike. Slimey awful things.

Halibut, Salmon, Tuna, Sole, Basa, Trout, these are pretty light tasting fish that even "I hate fish" people generally learn to like. All of them really good for you. I've never seen a person in a campground refuse some nice cast iron pan fried trout, fresh caught. Its the best thing you've ever tasted.

Out of a can I make a Linguine el Tuna that is awesome. Tuna also can work (sounds strange) as a protein base in Mac N Cheese. We throw pepper in there and veggies to make it different, but full meal deal nutrition wise. Fish do really well with lemon, and with pepper. Capers as mentioned as well.
That sounds fantastic..... Ya I think I would mix it with something. Maybe mac N cheese or something (as long as it’s not ridiculous high calories) I have nothing wrong with eating it out of the can, but would be nice to add something to it while at work. Granted I don’t have a full kitchen at work to make it into a meal.... would either have to do it at home or just bring a can of it to work.

I know my uncle used to love sardines and oysters, but I think the smell would kill the office.... I don’t think Salmon would be too bad especially in a wrap or something....

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
Funny, I just never thought to try salmon before as my family is big on tuna.... except my spouse. She hates sea food lol.

My brother is similar to you, HATES anything seafood, salmon is the only one he might stomach if there's no other option. If you give it a whirl stay away from the canned shit lol, go for a good fresh cut cut filet. Look up a couple different ways to season it n how to bake it in an oven, there's a chance you your wife could surprise yourselves as to how awesome it really is.

Reactions: tardigrade81

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I generally just bake them in the oven with some seasonings but make a sour cream, lemon juice, seasoning salt and dill mix to spread on it (after baking). Such a simple mix but tastes so good. I really wish I could remember the whisky maple marinade I made that one time, but just in case all the alcohol doesn't evaporate out cooking, I couldn't make it for the family anyways. I usually have plain Greek yogurt on the fridge moreso than sour cream so that makes for a quick sub in a pinch.

My son loves seafood. He'll eat sushi, loves basa, crab and lobster. Little fart has expensive taste for a 10 year old so he better be rich when he grows up :laugh:.

I'm out of cupboard space to get an air fryer but I've heard good things about them.

I swear alcohol is the cause of so much memory loss. Just putting the JD on the fish huh? heh

I have this problem with chicken can beer. One for the chicken, 5 for me,,,

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I swear alcohol is the cause of so much memory loss. Just putting the JD on the fish huh? heh

I have this problem with chicken can beer. One for the chicken, 5 for me,,,

Haven't tried beer with chicken, just with beef. Curious how that works.

For chicken my favorite is marinated in pop with some oil, soya sauce and whatever else you fancy. When there was that Ginger Pepsi a few years back it made the best chicken marinade I've ever had.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad