Post-Game Talk: Kicked right in the Cernak. Oilers lose 3-1 By Kass

Mav3rick07

Jul 28, 2007
I’m worried we are going to be looking at a lengthy suspension , something around 10 games.

I hope to god I’m wrong but I just have that feeling guys.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I’m worried we are going to be looking at a lengthy suspension , something around 10 games.

I hope to god I’m wrong but I just have that feeling guys.

For once I agreed with Yaremchuk. He figures around five games. Two games for Skinner doing the same thing, another two games because he was just suspended/repeat offender and another game to (somewhat) appease the kangaroo court.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
For once I agreed with Yaremchuk. He figures around five games. Two games for Skinner doing the same thing, another two games because he was just suspended/repeat offender and another game to (somewhat) appease the kangaroo court.

Giving Kass the option of an in person hearing gives the league the option to suspend for 6+. I doubt they would offer that if they are giving him less than that. I think he’ll get 12.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Giving Kass the option of an in person hearing gives the league the option to suspend for 6+. I doubt they would offer that if they are giving him less than that. I think he’ll get 12.

Twelve to me would be gratuitous based on recent history.

There is no defending a kick, that's wrong and should be punished. But he's literally in the process of trying to leave a melee away from the play to join the play while Cernak is sitting on his skates. You can't even compare Skinner, because Skinner isn't trying to get back into the play.

I think about six games is about right. Two for the same punishment as Skinner, quadruple it for recent history, and give him one back for using the kick to try to get out of a scrum outside the game to rejoin the game.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007

Yep you're right, it doesn't look good but as Mckenzie himself said on the 1260 morning show, it's not a guarantee he'll get at least six games. There hasn't been a set date or time I've seen but I guess we shall see. It's tough to gauge when DoPS is so random with their punishments.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Yep you're right, it doesn't look good but as Mckenzie himself said on the 1260 morning show, it's not a guarantee he'll get at least six games. There hasn't been a set date or time I've seen but I guess we shall see. It's tough to gauge when DoPS is so random with their punishments.

He’s an Oiler. We all know he’ll get the Sutton treatment.

Reactions: TB12

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
I can't think that one watched the replay and believes the bolded. Because that is not at all what happened. I can see Kass saying that after the fact as a kind of poor cover. But I sure don't believe it, and my eyes are telling me that's not what occurred.

I doubt you disagree.

cheers in anycase and thank you for responding

Nope, don’t buy it either...haha. He was trying to create separation and used his foot to do it, just plain stupid on his part.

The reason I even brought this up was due to the overwhelming amount of comments all over the internet saying he should be suspended for the season or 20 games, I even saw one saying it was “essentially attempted murder”...lol.

if I was betting, I’d say 6 games. 2 to match the Skinner suspension (which almost mirrors what Kass did), 2 as a repeat offender and another 2 for Kass just being Kass.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
This should be quick as Kass didn’t take them up on their option for an in person hearing.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home

Why? Skinner got 2 games for a more dangerous kick and Pronger got 8 games for a kick that was clearly more malicious. This kick was benign by comparison to both of those suspension netting kicks. This should get at most 2 games, maybe 3 because it's his second suspension of the year. If this was Crosby or Toews or Kucherov we'd be talking about a 1 game suspension.

Also I totally agree that kicking is not okay, but let's judge this on the event in question and the result of the kick, not as a means to deter future kicking events. First off, it's a straight on kick, there's no risk of slicing. Secondly it wasn't hard. Lastly he wasn't kicking a dangerous area, he kicked the chest which was padded. Guys getting hit from behind and cross checked that don't draw penalty calls are more dangerous/vicious than this specific kicking incident.

Take a look at the videos in the link for comparison to past kicking incidents and the suspensions they've incurred and then compare them to what Kassian did and tell me he deserves more than a few games. Spoiler alert: objectively you can't.

Is supplementary discipline on the way for Kassian yet again?

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Why? Skinner got 2 games for a more dangerous kick and Pronger got 8 games for a kick that was clearly more malicious. This kick was benign by comparison to both of those suspension netting kicks. This should get at most 2 games, maybe 3 because it's his second suspension of the year. If this was Crosby or Toews or Kucherov we'd be talking about a 1 game suspension.

Also I totally agree that kicking is not okay, but let's judge this on the event in question and the result of the kick, not as a means to deter future kicking events. First off, it's a straight on kick, there's no risk of slicing. Secondly it wasn't hard. Lastly he wasn't kicking a dangerous area, he kicked the chest which was padded. Guys getting hit from behind and cross checked that don't draw penalty calls are more dangerous/vicious than this specific kicking incident.

Take a look at the videos in the link for comparison to past kicking incidents and the suspensions they've incurred and then compare them to what Kassian did and tell me he deserves more than a few games. Spoiler alert: objectively you can't.

Is supplementary discipline on the way for Kassian yet again?

I’m not saying he should get 12, just what I think the dartboard will give him. Personally I think 4-5 is fair.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
I’m not saying he should get 12, just what I think the dartboard will give him. Personally I think 4-5 is fair.

Yeah there certainly seems to be a media narrative trying to build this up to be more than it was. Suspension worthy yes. More than the Pronger suspension? Give me a break.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Anyway lol of the night is Tyler Johnson completely botching a wide open empty net, with all kinds of time, a puck that falls to him from heaven, and for some reason the doofus tries bardown and hits the crossbar. My lord
:lol:

TheRebuild

Bold as Boognish
Jun 12, 2014
Winter
As the old saying goes, three things you can be certain of in life - death, taxes and inconsistent rulings from the DoPS.

I'm fine if they throw the book at him, forces Holland to actually do something rather than sit on his ass and take a "wait and see" approach. Now he either has to come out and say "It's a development year and we're not making the playoffs" or go out and make a trade for a player. His action or inaction in this case will speak volumes.

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
Sober now.

Seriously, what the hell was Zack thinking? I know the likely answer is "he wasn't" but holy shit, you're taught from Timbits that you don't do that.

Jesus Take the Wheel

Jul 9, 2015
Edmonton
As the old saying goes, three things you can be certain of in life - death, taxes and inconsistent rulings from the DoPS.

At 6+ games the DoPS has to be a lot more thoughtful with their ruling since they're open to appeal via outside arbitration so its a lot less "spin the wheel of justice" type of thing.

Kass gets 6 imo, 2 based on skinner incident, 3 based on Wilson's b2b suspensions in 2017 for repeat offender than 1 extra to appeal the masses along with that fact that in person hearings do usually result in at least 6

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad