Khudobin's injury

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
There are sacrifice bunts in baseball. Same principle. Sacrifice a game of lesser importance to help you win a more important game.

Hell, it's happened in this league. In the past, there have been instances where teams have lost very winnable games to earn a better matchup in the playoffs (facing Ottawa vs. facing Pittsburgh, iirc) or better draft picks (last year's Tampa vs. Florida game at the end of the year, for example).

Not to say they're going to lose game intentionally, but if the players know a loss will benefit the team or organization in the long run, the motivation to win may not be all there.

Those are not remotely the same principle and I shouldn't have to explain why.

daikan

(╯︵╰,)
Oct 28, 2005
Berlin
This is professional sports. There are no "throwaway" games. Also, like I pointed out, the Avs aren't that good.

Even if they are playing "over their heads" right now (and they are—I don't think anyone expects them to finish 73-9-0 on the season), it is the Avs of right now that we'll be meeting. It won't help us any if they cool down in November.

Anyway, I think they are beatable, but I'd say the odds are in their favour, not our.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC

:sarcasm: (but not really)

And honestly, if there's the kind of team I can see the Avs possibly napping on, it's us. They may or may not roll us, doesn't matter. With how the schedule shakes out, Cam's got plenty of rest time so there's no reason not to go with him as long as he feels up to it. Have to give ourselves the best chance to win these games and Cam Ward is it right now.

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
Even if they are playing "over their heads" right now (and they are—I don't think anyone expects them to finish 73-9-0 on the season), it is the Avs of right now that we'll be meeting. It won't help us any if they cool down in November.

Anyway, I think they are beatable, but I'd say the odds are in their favour, not our.

I was coming here to say pretty much just that and to agree with *WhattheFaulk* about there being no games that aren't important. every game and point counts. the Avs are hot NOW. their PK has been decent. these next three games are very important and telling of much. 10% of the season in the rear view.

there is no reason Ward can't play all games until Anton is back and tuned up. there is no reason for Muller to play Peters unless Ward gets hurt or craps the bed. any goalie can handle this up coming schedule. this is Ward's opportunity to win a game or two for the team. of course they have to score but offense seems to be on the backburner at the moment. Muller's system with the focus on D should help Ward anyhow. all's good.........

that said, I think they'll be lucky to win a game in the next three and a big slide in their frail hold in the standings so far coming up, two on the road and then the Penguins. best chance against the Wild but they are about par with the Canes so far in important aspects. they are playing possession in the O zone and shooting lots. Ward will have to play his best (yes, even with defensive lapses that are bound to happen) and the D will have to hold them to low percentage shots. continuing to burden the top line with a defense first mentality will limit GF. a true test coming up here IMO. as always, we'll be seein after speculatin.

it would be nice to see them runnin and gunnin some and playing some possession hockey and setting up in the offensive zone again. what the top line does best and is being paid to do. remember that "best line in hockey" line. different assignment, different line.

are they going to play to win or are they going to continue to play to not lose? big distinction IMO.

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country

:sarcasm: (but not really)

And honestly, if there's the kind of team I can see the Avs possibly napping on, it's us. They may or may not roll us, doesn't matter. With how the schedule shakes out, Cam's got plenty of rest time so there's no reason not to go with him as long as he feels up to it. Have to give ourselves the best chance to win these games and Cam Ward is it right now.

".............doesn't matter." "......as long as he feels up to it?" it most certainly matters and Cam is the starting goalie at the moment making a big salary. these kinds of situations are exactly why he is being paid as an elite goaltender. he better feel up to it.

and that sarcasm emoticon for the vid is, well,............................

Last edited:

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
I was coming here to say pretty much just that and to agree with *WhattheFaulk* about there being no games that aren't important. every game and point counts. the Avs are hot NOW. their PK has been decent. these next three games are very important and telling of much. 10% of the season in the rear view.

there is no reason Ward can't play all games until Anton is back and tuned up. there is no reason for Muller to play Peters unless Ward gets hurt or craps the bed. any goalie can handle this up coming schedule. this is Ward's opportunity to win a game or two for the team. of course they have to score but offense seems to be on the backburner at the moment. Muller's system with the focus on D should help Ward anyhow. all's good.........

that said, I think they'll be lucky to win a game in the next three and a big slide in their frail hold in the standings so far coming up, two on the road and then the Penguins. best chance against the Wild but they are about par with the Canes so far in important aspects. they are playing possession in the O zone and shooting lots. Ward will have to play his best (yes, even with defensive lapses that are bound to happen) and the D will have to hold them to low percentage shots. continuing to burden the top line with a defense first mentality will limit GF. a true test coming up here IMO. as always, we'll be seein after speculatin.

it would be nice to see them runnin and gunnin some and playing some possession hockey and setting up in the offensive zone again. what the top line does best and is being paid to do. remember that "best line in hockey" line. different assignment, different line.

are they going to play to win or are they going to continue to play to not lose? big distinction IMO.

Who's playing not to lose? Wtf are you babbling about now?

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
He thinks playing better defensively is playing not to lose, because the top line had a slow start. Muller.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
He thinks playing better defensively is playing not to lose, because the top line had a slow start. Muller.

"thinks" is a generous term when his entire assumption is based on the top line "retreating" when the opposing team breaks out of their zone - like there's any other way to go but back towards their own zone. It's not an opinion, it's nonsense.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
I do find it interesting that the Canes are in a playoff position utilizing this so called defensive approach. What a novel concept.

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country

is that what I think? thx. :laugh:

Muller had his camp ......... *slightly* better defence due to a few additions and deletions and deflates one of the best offensive lines in the league. they are not trying hard enough. not executing. LOL. Muller. accountable though I'm sure.

let's see where they're at after, lets say, the next three or four. then back to the chaulk board. IMO of course. ;)

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
Muller is accountable for all of the shin pads blocking Semin's shots. He should have worked overtime in the KOHO plant putting holes in them.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I wonder when rocky will realize the 5 points a game the top line was producing early last season was completely unsustainable and not indicative of what to expect of that line all the time.

But considering rocky was convinced Semin wasn't happy here last year, that he would demand a trade, that he wouldn't sign here long term...all because of Muller..., its not as if this song and dance is new

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
I do find it interesting that the Canes are in a playoff position utilizing this so called defensive approach. What a novel concept.

"in a playoff position" until when, wed. next week? this style of play cannot be sustained. you can't win for long by constantly backing up.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
So defense doesn't win championships?

Well, that's certainly one way of thinking

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Because everybody knows you should always be on the attack, attack at all times! Defense? Pfft. Just score more than the other guy and you're fine! Heck, why even pay defensemen? That's six roster spots that could be used for other forwards! Imagine the forwards we could sign with the money we're giving Pitkanen and Gleason! Heck put out five forwards there at all times and imagine the offense we'd have then!

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
Apparently he's not real familiar with the recent history of this team, you know, giving up the most shots in the league two years in a row. Wouldn't want to change the system, because it was hugely successful, they almost made the playoffs one of those years.

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
LOL. some are so easy and predictable.

let's just see where this ends up AGAIN when they are sitting at the table drafting another "safe" guy like Lindholm. heck, let's see where they're at in a month if Muller doesn't adjust his master plan. no doubt there will be those players blamed and ongoing excuses for the folk heros.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
let's just see where this ends up AGAIN when they are sitting at the table drafting another "safe" guy like Lindholm. heck, let's see where they're at in a month if Muller doesn't adjust his master plan. no doubt there will be those players blamed and ongoing excuses for the folk heros.

Rocky, we picked 5th overall last year because we finished 29th out of 30 teams in GA/G.

This year, we are 17th out of 30, which is a ridiculous improvement. Conversely, our G/G has gone down from 2.6 to 2.44, or a whopping .14 goals per game. That averages to a difference of 2 goals every 15 games.

No team that finished in the bottom 10 of GA/G made the playoffs last year. The lowest was Washington at 18. Conversely, San Jose, Detroit and Minnesota all made the playoffs despite being in the bottom 10 of G/G.

I honestly don't know how anyone can look at the difference between the team last year and this year and say "They need to get back to the run and gun system of last year!".

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
Rocky, we picked 5th overall last year because we finished 29th out of 30 teams in GA/G.

This year, we are 17th out of 30, which is a ridiculous improvement. Conversely, our G/G has gone down from 2.6 to 2.44, or a whopping .14 goals per game. That averages to a difference of 2 goals every 15 games.

No team that finished in the bottom 10 of GA/G made the playoffs last year. The lowest was Washington at 18. Conversely, San Jose, Detroit and Minnesota all made the playoffs despite being in the bottom 10 of G/G.

I honestly don't know how anyone can look at the difference between the team last year and this year and say "They need to get back to the run and gun system of last year!".

the thing is that as nice as the secondary scoring has been, it's not sustainable without the top players scoring and being used properly. the defence after 10 or so games is marginally better and also not sustainable playing in their own zone most of the time. long discussion but to me this team gives the impression of just holding on by the skin of their teeth and a month from now when the league stabilizes they will find themselves at the bottom again trying to fight up hill. this team has more skill than is being utilized IMO. without the top line firing, this team will lose, secondary scoring, defense, and all.

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
Also acceptable.

It's the Russian factor. Everyone knows a Russian has never won anything. Ever. And they actually poison locker rooms.

Like, literally, they take rat traps and poison locker rooms.

now you've got it. damn. must be putting it in Ward's water bottle. Russians should be banned from the league. I mean the average hockey fan would rather watch a fight than a skillful play. I agree they are ruining the game of hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad