Khudobin's injury

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
NO goalie, even sham Ward will be able to save the Canes. may as well just play Petey. zero difference to the outcome.

this cap team is directed by an AHL coach who hasn't a clue how to use NHL elite talent. end of story. bottom of Metro coming up. plenty of the usual and ongoing excuses no doubt forthcoming.

Lazyking

Never Forget
Oct 15, 2011
Connecticut
NO goalie, even sham Ward will be able to save the Canes. may as well just play Petey. zero difference to the outcome.

this cap team is directed by an AHL coach who hasn't a clue how to use NHL elite talent. end of story. bottom of Metro coming up. plenty of the usual and ongoing excuses no doubt forthcoming.

You want them to play run and gun.. they don't have that kind of talent. End of story.

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
You want them to play run and gun.. they don't have that kind of talent. End of story.

of course it's a long discussion and most wont agree anyway. I get that. and this is a Khudobin thread but it has gone in this direction now.

so lets just take the PP. IMO it is OK to have faith in your skilled guys to allow them the freedom to be creative. set plays, in kirky system, set PLAY, are easily defended. kirky wants to control every situation. give the top guys some rope and the PP improves. it cannot be worse that's for sure.

my hope is that he considers himself a new and inexperienced HC in the NHL and is willing to learn. I have seen, nor heard no evidence of this so far. he continues to blame the players. the Canes have plenty of skill. there are perhaps a handful of teams in the league that could be considered to have more collectively in a cap league of parity.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
My question would be this then:

1. Where have you seen Muller "blame the players"? Exact quotes would be preferable. And if I could find similar quotes from veteran coaches, would you admit that any "blame" is likely being used as a motivation tool rather than an attempt to come off blameless?

2. The PP has been awful for the past decade, with 2 other head coaches behind the bench and countless assistant ones. Don't you think the odds point more to player's execution than a coach's strategy at that point?

Lazyking

Never Forget
Oct 15, 2011
Connecticut
One of the problems with the PP is they don't have anyone to quarterback the point.. Murphy rushes in more often than not, after that, we have to bring up Staal or Semin to run plays.

Two, no one gets in front of the goalie so the defenders can worry about blocking the shots. I would say that is a coaching problem.

Frank Booth239*

Anyone know why Rutherford went the DiPi route rather than making a play for Bryz?

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Just a shot in the dark, but I'd assume it came down to money. If either had success here, I'd assume DiPi would come a lot cheaper.

Of course, this assumes they didn't contact Bryzgalov and he had no interest in a PTO

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
My question would be this then:

1. Where have you seen Muller "blame the players"? Exact quotes would be preferable. And if I could find similar quotes from veteran coaches, would you admit that any "blame" is likely being used as a motivation tool rather than an attempt to come off blameless?

2. The PP has been awful for the past decade, with 2 other head coaches behind the bench and countless assistant ones. Don't you think the odds point more to player's execution than a coach's strategy at that point?

he hasn't singled out, at least overtly, anyone except Peters that time. but he has repeatedly stated in his post gamers that the players didn't do this or that, or "bring their A GAME", etc.. I think you know what I mean. I have never heard him once accept responsibility or be accountable for his systems that other teams know of and beat. I find it very hard to believe that Semin, Staal, etc., etc., are players that don't have the ability to learn and execute any system a coach devises. if you watch Semin for example, he is clearly playing a defensive game and doing exactly what Muller is showing them to do in practise, they all are. the neutral zone has been taken, there is no possession or puck support leading to turnovers galore. offense isn't their main focus. Muller had a single thought and that was G/A. fine, but people wonder what's wrong with Carolina's top line? nothing IMO. their assignment is different and Muller has no answer except to change up the lines HOPING for chemistry. my quick opinion. of course defense is important. games are won and loss with puck possession and neutral zone domination.

I also understand that it is uncommon for coaches to admit that they have been out-coached and there are certainly others more authoritarian than kirky.

the issue to me is that they are executing but the other teams have come up with ways to defend against them. I don't know how to put it into words right now without a long drawn out post. I think you understand what I'm trying to say, whether you agree or not. it is certainly a much different game that we saw last season and these players are some of the best in the world. I tend to believe they want to win, try hard and listen to their coach. so does the other team. idk. MO only and I hope they can come up with strategies to win. so far they are squeaking by or flat out getting beat. I see frustration which may have something to do with some of the penalties.

edit: kirky has more knowledge than me :) so we hope I guess.

Last edited:

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
If I'm reading what you said correctly, you believe that the players are executing Muller's system correctly but still receiving blame for the loss by Muller when Muller is stating the generic responses that every coach gives ("didn't play our game", etc.).

Moreover, you're basing this off the play of the top line now compared to the play of the top line from last year.

Does that sound about right?

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
If I'm reading what you said correctly, you believe that the players are executing Muller's system correctly but still receiving blame for the loss by Muller when Muller is stating the generic responses that every coach gives ("didn't play our game", etc.).

Moreover, you're basing this off the play of the top line now compared to the play of the top line from last year.

Does that sound about right?

alright. I can't read his mind, have no idea what is said in the room, nor if Muller and staff are thinking THEY have "to be better". all I see is line shuffling and the same play every game so far. based on that, I THINK he has confidence in his system and is hoping it will work with some combo of players, more compete and a little luck.

he did/does always say that the players have "bought into THE system". IT doesn't appear to be working excuses and all. that's all and what I am seeing. if the idea is to just barely, maybe make the playoffs then that may or may not happen. I would like to see improvement and expect that the objective is to win. I don't see it, acknowledging that it is early. but every point is needed. the coach leads and tells his team how to play. I expect these guys to do just that and believe they are. the results are evident. I think we can all agree that if the top line doesn't lead this team most every night, they lose.

anyway, you can have three guys watch the same game and all have different opinions. so there it is. I would like to see in-game adjustments and back-up plans to counter other teams, come out after intermissions, not massive line juggling then after, "we didn't get to our game". that is a player blame statement to me.

Frank Booth239*

What type of coaching system does this team need?

So, "run and gun" is out, right?

Folks are all over Muller's defensive minded system, which reduces our offensive output, but I gotta say, I'm liking this 28 or so shots taken by the other team as opposed to 40 a night.

Everybody went ballistic over Maurice's dump and chase...

What systems does that leave us with?

Zezima

Jul 28, 2012
Charlotte, NC
From an outside perspective this all seemed to be going a little too fast to be true. I guess we'll have another week (at least three games) with Pete Dawg before we see Khudobin back.

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
this all has to be a combo of some incompetence somewhere in the org. and just straight bad luck. wow. guys on this team just drop like flies. other teams have injuries and I wonder if they are and have been like this. they need all the good luck to begin with just to get by. this stuff to the guys and they are hooped. I guess the lack of depth doesn't help.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
this all has to be a combo of some incompetence somewhere in the org. and just straight bad luck. wow. guys on this team just drop like flies. other teams have injuries and I wonder if they are and have been like this. they need all the good luck to begin with just to get by. this stuff to the guys and they are hooped. I guess the lack of depth doesn't help.

I think when it comes to forwards this is somewhat true. However, as it relates to our biggest injury issue, stepping back from the situation, Peters is an average to above average 3rd goaltender, and I'd say DiPietro's a good 4th if we end up signing him.

EDIT: Obviously DiPietro would be the 3. It's been a long day and it'll only get longer.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I want us to sign malhotra first. If he wins draws and plays nearly as well defensively as he did before he's an obvious improvement. He would probably be our third line guy to be honest. A healthy malhotra would be an improvement over Nash, and probably better than lindholm in terms of consistently bringing an nhl game.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I want us to sign malhotra first. If he wins draws and plays nearly as well defensively as he did before he's an obvious improvement. He would probably be our third line guy to be honest. A healthy malhotra would be an improvement over Nash, and probably better than lindholm in terms of consistently bringing an nhl game.

Him and Nash could center 3a and 3b lines, with the grab bag of Dwyer, Ruutu, Bowman, Sutter, whoever else falls in that category. To me, Nash has proved he's a good 4C, average 3C, to me at least. Being realistic, I think that's where Manny would fall as well. They could be interchanged as the lines called for.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Him and Nash could center 3a and 3b lines, with the grab bag of Dwyer, Ruutu, Bowman, Sutter, whoever else falls in that category. To me, Nash has proved he's a good 4C, average 3C, to me at least. Being realistic, I think that's where Manny would fall as well. They could be interchanged as the lines called for.

Ideally lindholm proves he's ready and finds chemistry with skinner and manny is the fourth line guy. Maybe Nash plays wing on the fourth. I don't think I want either guy on the third, but I agree they both slot in the same spots. I think muller will love Manny's consistency and likely more physical play over Nash though I agree Nash has shown he can hang.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Ideally lindholm proves he's ready and finds chemistry with skinner and manny is the fourth line guy. Maybe Nash plays wing on the fourth. I don't think I want either guy on the third, but I agree they both slot in the same spots. I think muller will love Manny's consistency and likely more physical play over Nash though I agree Nash has shown he can hang.

While I think Nash's defensive play has been pretty mature for a young player, we need someone to put the puck in the net. To me, that's not Malhotra OR Nash. I agree, hopefully Lindholm shows he belongs and grabs that spot. That being said, I'm going to assume he's not ready, and for the time being Malhotra's a nice addition. It's nice to have players that are useful on the 4th line. Westgarth is not.

FeedDaPuck

Mar 17, 2008
Everywhere
What do you mean by did not too good? Meaning he was still in pain so it may be longer than expected? Sounds like this is not good news.

To be honest with you, no the news are not good. He should have been fine by now. I can tell you that he wants to be playing, and he is not being cautious or anything (I mean he really never missed any time due to injury in his career, played through a f–ed up groin a couple of years back)... He is upset, but not frustrated yet. Hopefully he will recover quickly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad