Confirmed with Link: Khudobin for Wisniewski

2faded

Jul 3, 2009
Torrance, CA
I don't understand why we got a 3rd goaltender then. How many other NHL teams have you seen that had two good goaltenders and then decided to get a 3rd one for pure backup purposes. Gibson doesn't belong in the AHL anymore. Him and Andersen would make a great pairing in the regular season. Sure both might get injured at the same time but there are many greater risks a team has to worry about (ie our lack of winger depth).

Why trade away Wiz when he never really had the opportunity play with the team for an extended period of time? Makes little sense. Unless this will part of another package this was a bad move!

I think BM wanted one more top 4 D (upgrade on Lovejoy) and it turned out to be Despres instead of Wiz. Who knew that would happen?

If Murray had traded:

Pick + Karlsson + Bourque for Despres

&

Lovejoy for Wiz

Then

Wiz for Khudobin

Would people be as upset about asset management?

Ducks Nation*

Mar 19, 2013
I think BM wanted one more top 4 D (upgrade on Lovejoy) and it turned out to be Despres instead of Wiz. Who knew that would happen?

If Murray had traded:

Pick + Karlsson + Bourque for Despres

&

Lovejoy for Wiz

Then

Wiz for Khudobin

Would people be as upset about asset management?

No but that's not what happened.

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014
BM did say that Gibson wasn't being traded, he didn't say anything about Andersen. Just a thought, what if next season is an audition between Khudobin and Andersen, and the loser is gone at the deadline or next offseason?

Heh, I was a second away from posting this same thought. I don't think it's very far-fetched. Murray has been clear about two things:

1. With the guys that have "been there before" who have under-performed, heads will roll. We are already seeing that with Palms and Etem.

2. He is concerned with their cap/salary space and tagging room with all of these pending FA's, and knows there will be some casualties.

So far, I'd say he is killing two birds with one stone and eliminating pending RFA's who Murray also may have soured on for being disappointing in one way or another. I could see Andersen possibly slipping into this category. Despite his brilliant body of work thus far, I have to wonder if it carries enough weight with the GM to overcome the consecutive breakdowns in two straight playoffs??? Murray sort of made a preemptive strike in negotiations with Khudobin by stating that he was a "legit backup", which suggests his values is at the going rate of an NHL backup. This could be paving the way for Freddie to be moved and Gibson to step in and take the reins. The tug of war and pending decision between Anders and Gibs would be resolved, and we'd have a high quality #2 guy who could still push Gibson. I'm wondering if Murray might see more potential in Gibson to be a guy that can be a difference-maker in those game 6's and 7's, rather than a guy that comes down to earth.

:dunno:

TheJoeMan

In Bob We Trust
No but that's not what happened.

For all intents and purposes it was. Where our assets go out to and where new ones come from doesn't matter. The players and assets we have right now is what matters. I mean we can cry over spilled milk about Karlsson being gone all we want but what's done is done and barely anybody batted an eye when that trade was made.

Ducks Nation*

Mar 19, 2013
For all intents and purposes it was. Where our assets go out to and where new ones come from doesn't matter. The players and assets we have right now is what matters. I mean we can cry over spilled milk about Karlsson being gone all we want but what's done is done and barely anybody batted an eye when that trade was made.

So if we traded Vatanen + 2nd for Jamie Benn

Then Traded Perry for Nyquist or Tatar

You wouldn't be mad about the second deal? Just because we made one good deal doesn't mean we should get full value for our players/picks in a completely different deal.

TheJoeMan

In Bob We Trust
So if we traded Vatanen + 2nd for Jamie Benn

Then Traded Perry for Nyquist or Tatar

You wouldn't be mad about the second deal? Just because we made one good deal doesn't mean we should get full value for our players/picks in a completely different deal.

That doesn't work because the aggregate value of those deals sucks no matter what.

The original Wisniewski trade was a good deal at that moment. Circumstances after the fact made it a bad deal in hindsight. But the deal had to be good in the first place. Neither of those deals would have been good in any configuration.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
That doesn't work because the aggregate value of those deals sucks no matter what.

The original Wisniewski trade was a good deal at that moment. Circumstances after the fact made it a bad deal in hindsight. But the deal had to be good in the first place. Neither of those deals would have been good in any configuration.
Everything is fine, there are no mistakes, only the team getting more and more awesome.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Everything is fine, there are no mistakes, only the team getting more and more awesome.

Of course it was a mistake, in hindsight, but that's the way it goes. If the Despres deal doesn't happen, then likely neither does this trade, and who knows if it's a mistake anymore.

Bringing up the original Wiz trade is stupid, because it has zero effect on this deal. If Murray would have refused to trade Wiz because he gave up so much to get him, then we'd have a serious issue.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Might also consider the Wiz quietly asked BM to be traded given his healthy scratch status in the playoffs and BM complied. The other option is obviously that BM just wanted to open the cap space for another D he has on his radar.

It is odd that Wiz was traded for a G who will be a UFA in one year when there are so many G available this year in the UFA market.

91Fedorov

John (Gibson) 3:16
Dec 30, 2013
I think what is happening here is management felt like they were rushing Gibson. I think they do view him as our goaltender of the future. With that said, they would like to keep him in the minors to get more playing time and to also lower is cap hit for next year.

I also think management may have seen some cracks in Andersen's game at the end of the playoffs. They want a legitimate contender to push Andersen but do not want to compromise what they see as the best development path for their young star. Prior to last year, Khudobin's save % was 0.928. If Andersen falters, Khudobin could become our starter and possibly be an improvement. This trade makes our goaltending solid and competitive without sacrificing the development of our young goaltender or pricing him out of our line up before he hits his prime.

I like this trade.

Oct 18, 2011
the wiz trade was bad at the end of the day there is no way around it. he gave up one of our top prospects for A)A player who ended up being injured and B)at the end of the day moved him for a backup goalie.

what if beauch walks now? then what? it may not be likely but until he is signed it could happen.

now if he uses that freed up caproom to bring in an impact player that would be big, but until that happens the team is worse off than the one that ended the season

2faded

Jul 3, 2009
Torrance, CA
the wiz trade was bad at the end of the day there is no way around it. he gave up one of our top prospects for A)A player who ended up being injured and B)at the end of the day moved him for a backup goalie.

what if beauch walks now? then what? it may not be likely but until he is signed it could happen.

now if he uses that freed up caproom to bring in an impact player that would be big, but until that happens the team is worse off than the one that ended the season

I don't think Murray would trade Wiz for a goalie unless he was pretty confident that he could sign Beauch or a replacement. Although he did say he wants Manson/Theodore to get looks but that just seems way too risky for him to try. Plus with Fistric being bought out they can get looks as the 7th D.

Is there a fit for Sekera? I'm not sure which side he plays.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site

1. as many have already opined, things look very different if Pittsburgh doesn't play Santa Claus with Despres
2. we can't judge yesterday's trade until all the cards are played. obviously, BM isn't going to start the year with only 5 D.

Unless BM goes off the reservation and makes a stupid Phaneuf type trade, I think he has earned the right to trust his judgement.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
I don't think Murray would trade Wiz for a goalie unless he was pretty confident that he could sign Beauch or a replacement. Although he did say he wants Manson/Theodore to get looks but that just seems way too risky for him to try. Plus with Fistric being bought out they can get looks as the 7th D.

Is there a fit for Sekera? I'm not sure which side he plays.

Sekera is intriguing...I believe he can play any side but might prefer left.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Signing Sekera would immediately tie up cap space that moving Wiz provided. And Bob claimed clearing that cap space would allow him to get some of our own signed now. Not that he could have been BSing us.

Oct 18, 2011
1. as many have already opined, things look very different if Pittsburgh doesn't play Santa Claus with Despres
2. we can't judge yesterday's trade until all the cards are played. obviously, BM isn't going to start the year with only 5 D.

Unless BM goes off the reservation and makes a stupid Phaneuf type trade, I think he has earned the right to trust his judgement.
the ducks still traded for an injured player and at the end of the day anaheim has come out on the worse end of the trade, how else can you judge it?

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Signing Sekera would immediately tie up cap space that moving Wiz provided. And Bob claimed clearing that cap space would allow him to get some of our own signed now. Not that he could have been BSing us.

Sekera might be worth it considering he is a true #2 or #3...depends on how the Ducks think he would mesh with Lindholm.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
the ducks still traded for an injured player and at the end of the day anaheim has come out on the worse end of the trade, how else can you judge it?

His injury was known and healing.

You can't have it both ways...people complain BM doesn't make moves and when he does he gets second guessed.

Due to injuries last year BM made many moves I didn't like (Brewer, Bryz, Bourque, Fleishmann, and a couple of others) but he has cleaned all of them up and moved on. And at the same time he doesn't make stupid trades for $7 million defensemen at the expense of top prospects. It's not like Karlsson lit the AHL on fire last year after being traded.

Bottom line, I'm ok with his moves so far although they have not all worked out.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Sekera might be worth it considering he is a true #2 or #3...depends on how the Ducks think he would mesh with Lindholm.

Well to me it would depend upon how tight the money actually is at this point in time. But I know I would much prefer seeing Kesler, Silf, and Magnus signed ahead of Sekera or any other ufa out there now. I'd even consider giving Magnus a 7 year deal if he would go for it. That's a safer risk to me than any ufa.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Well to me it would depend upon how tight the money actually is at this point in time. But I know I would much prefer seeing Kesler, Silf, and Magnus signed ahead of Sekera or any other ufa out there now. I'd even consider giving Magnus a 7 year deal if he would go for it. That's a safer risk to me than any ufa.

I agree...it depends on how much money the ownership has given BM to work with. They have enough cap space to fit them all in.

I see a lot of people saying the Ducks should pay the price (both salary and assets) to get a #1 D. I think Sekera represents the closest they will come and he would come asset free and for the price the market has set. Much rather get Sekera than Phaneuf. Best idea, however, may be an offer sheet on Hamilton.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
I agree...it depends on how much money the ownership has given BM to work with. They have enough cap space to fit them all in.

I see a lot of people saying the Ducks should pay the price (both salary and assets) to get a #1 D. I think Sekera represents the closest they will come and he would come asset free and for the price the market has set. Much rather get Sekera than Phaneuf. Best idea, however, may be an offer sheet on Hamilton.

Flames traded for Hamilton I don't see them not matching a contract the Ducks would realistically be willing to offer. Also offer sheets are something frowned upon by most GM's you think BM is going to offer sheet someone?

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast

I think the chance to offer sheet Hamilton has passed by, not that we ever would have. Calgary will sign him even of they have to trade Gio or let him walk. The offer sheet was a legitimate threat in Boston because they had no money. Although if they planned to move Lucic you wonder why they wouldn't keep Dougie.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00