Confirmed with Link: Khudobin for Wisniewski

vavera4ka

Quack! Quack!
Dec 27, 2014
twitter.com
so we burned two assets for only a few games of wiz, and now we have khudobin to show
very poor asset management by murray here

technically Wiz having only two games is more on Despres performing way beyond expectations than on BM.
I think when the TDL happened Wiz was supposed to be higher on food chain than Despres.
But kid had almost immediate chemistry and fit in so well with the core group that Wiz was left out.

pesko

Sep 14, 2004
We had too many puck moving defensemen, somebody had to go. Not a bad return, but I'd have expected a bit more. I guess this is good news for Beauch.

I see this as an asset management move. Make Khudobin the clear cut backup and give Gibson time in AHL. Not only does Gibson see more playing time, but he'll have less leverage once he hits RFA, giving BM more room to try and re-sign everyone.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
Yea this is what I think. I think BM likes Wiz and BB doesn't. He can't force BB to play him.
I don't disagree with Bruce on that one.

I'm happy about this trade if we re-sign Beauch.

I also think we may be moving a goalie before next summer.

DucksAreCool

Feb 24, 2015
We had too many puck moving defensemen, somebody had to go. Not a bad return, but I'd have expected a bit more. I guess this is good news for Beauch.

I see this as an asset management move. Make Khudobin the clear cut backup and give Gibson time in AHL. Not only does Gibson see more playing time, but he'll have less leverage once he hits RFA, giving BM more room to try and re-sign everyone.
I hope this is good news for Sekera rather than Beauchemin.

As far as Gibson, I'm not too crazy about him going to the AHL but if it helps us keep him at a lower price then it may work out.

Last edited:

giant870

Jun 27, 2015
BB didn't like Wiz, that is obvious now. They probably had talks after the season up till now. Cut your loses now and move on.

I don't think BB disliked Wis, I think he just didn't have a place for him. When they traded for Wis they needed a defensive defenseman to play with Cam and I think Wis is more of an offensive defenseman. They tried using Wis, but he just didn't gel with anybody. Despres fit better with cam, so Wis just didn't have a place on the team.
Wis is a very good defensman, but sometimes good players just don't workout on a team and will do better somewhere else.
I hope he does well in Carolina.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Yeah I saw the interview with Murray on NHL network, it was such a relief to hear.

Who is Pat Leonard even? Khudobin bussed around in the minors for a long time and with the poor season he had it's questionable if he is anything more than a tweener between poor backup/great #3. I saw him against Sweden in the Euro hockey tour right before the WC, and he let in a couple of real softies. But he didn't have much help either.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany

Not sure who Leonard is, but he does have a bit of a point, even if it exceeds Bob's expectation for his role. Khudobin has serious ability and potential. Andersen is still obviously the favourite to assume a clearly defined starting role, but it would really not be a miracle if Khudobin made things very interesting next season. He's going to surprise some people.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Not sure who Leonard is, but he does have a bit of a point, even if it exceeds Bob's expectation for his role. Khudobin has serious ability and potential. Andersen is still obviously the favourite to assume a clearly defined starting role, but it would really not be a miracle if Khudobin made things very interesting next season. He's going to surprise some people.

I'm also thinking Khudobin is more than just a true back up. He's a good goalie and I expect to see him push for some starts.

Oct 18, 2011
I hope this is good news for Sekera rather than Beauchemin.

As far as Gibson, I'm not too crazy about him going to the AHL but if it helps us keep him at a lower price then it may work out.

Lower his price?
if anything this will make gibson unhappy if he has to spend the year in the minors

Emerald Duck

Dec 9, 2009
Arrowhead Pond of Anaheim, CA
Just thinking what if we keep Khudobin past this year if he does well and end up trading Andersen?

Not sure how that will work. Khudobin will be a UFA coming off a $2.5M salary. I don't see us signing our backup goalie to that type of contract, and I doubt he is planning to become a career backup goalie at age 29. Khudobin will be looking for a path to a #1 goalie spot after this season, and at this point we've pretty much committing to Andersen/Gibson as our future #1 unless one or both of them suddenly wake up one day and can't stop a beach ball :wbrew:.

Lord Flashheart

Squadron Commander
Jul 21, 2011
Leipzig/Zg
Lower his price?
if anything this will make gibson unhappy if he has to spend the year in the minors
Gibson will leave as soon as he can. I much prefer him over Freddie if he can stay healthy.
Carey Price took over (Habs chose him) starting job in 2010/11 season, at the age of 23. Gibson is 21, will be 22 before the season.

Some people still had some doubts about Price back in the day. It's a long process, especially for goalies.

Jul 1, 2012
I don't understand this trade at all. In hindsight the Wiz trade was really bad. We could still use Karlsson.
No point in playing Gibson in the AHL either when he's probably just as good as Khudobin

bumperkisser

Mar 31, 2009
i'd lvoe to see khudobin play well along with andersen. we can always flip khudobin at the deadline if andersen looks solid and gibby plays well in the A

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad