Confirmed with Link: Khudobin for Wisniewski

Getzholm

Jan 21, 2015
Not sure who Leonard is, but he does have a bit of a point, even if it exceeds Bob's expectation for his role. Khudobin has serious ability and potential. Andersen is still obviously the favourite to assume a clearly defined starting role, but it would really not be a miracle if Khudobin made things very interesting next season. He's going to surprise some people.

Completely agree.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
So we traded away one of our best prospects and our best center prospect easily (even over Rakell) for a backup goalie.

add a 2nd rounder as well.

amazing.

so we burned two assets for only a few games of wiz, and now we have khudobin to show
very poor asset management by murray here

At least we got something as opposed to a straight rental. So there is thought to the madness of trading for players with an extra year or so under contract at the trade deadline. Also, who would have thunk that Despres would surpass Wiz when we acquired him?

Also, consider that we have no netminding depth after Gibson. Here with dobby, we at least have NHL quality back up. I'm sure none of us want to see Bobkov man the crease for an extended period of time right now.

So Bob made sure to solidify our netminding situation, learning from last season. Andersen and Dobby at the NHL level while Gibby in the AHL. Maybe there is some truth to the RFA thought that the cost wouldn't cost so much since Gibby won't have a lot of NHL experience or someone is going to pay a heavy price to offer an RFA contract to Gibby.

But getting rid of Wiz actually frees up tagging issues next season when there's a plethora of RFA's and UFA's - like Kessler.

Jul 22, 2012
I'm okay with this trade. Maybe because I am not a Wiz fan, at all.. but Khudobin is a good goalie and shedding Wizs salary was a must.

It sucks that we lost Karlsson and that 2nd for nothing, but at the time it made sense. The best thing to do was cut our losses and move on, and that's what Bob done.

Vinegar Strokes

Dirty Ducks
Oct 26, 2006
San DIego
Not a fan of the trade on the surface. As others have said, terrible asset management. We also definitely need another top 4 D now, whether that's Beauch or not, it better not be a Paul Mara, Andy Sutton or Bryan Allen type.

TheJoeMan

In Bob We Trust
If we look at this purely from the standpoint of the original Wiz trade than it's bad asset management. I could care less about the second we gave away since Murph recouped one but we could really use Karlsson due to Thompson's injury. But at the time he was totally expendable and we were all happy and excited about Wiz. But he played like crap and Dez was great. Now it was about making the most of the situation now. Personally, I would have held on to Wiz but his cap hit was bad. This opens up a lot of space for next summer. Not crazy about bringing in another goalie but at least Khudobin is legit. At least we don't have to worry about another Bryzgalov-type situation.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
It will be a long, long time before Gibson is able to leave on his own. He'll be fine.

Yeah, agreed. Doing everything in your power to hopefully not upset a prospect isn't getting you anywhere.

I personally have made the argument that I'd consider 30-ish NHL games for Gibson to be doing more for his development than 60 AHL games, but if the organisation feels differently (and it's probably the popular approach), they have to go by it, even if Gibson's first reaction might get a wall punched or whatever. If it's doing what the club hopes for his development and he eventually gets to be a starter and into a position where he's then free to make his decision, he'll have a very different perspective and this will be water under the bridge.

Getzholm

Jan 21, 2015
This makes sense as it ensures that only one of our RFA goalies can command a reasonably high amount of money when they are free agents due to the fact the other won't have seen as much time in the NHL and therefore aren't "proven" enough to ask for too much. To me this means that either 1) one is getting traded this offseason, or 2) whoever is down in the A (Gibson) is our goalie of the future and we're probably trading Andersen next offseason. Just my opinion - what i would hhave done as well. Cant let them split time this year, as it would be bad asset management.

pesko

Sep 14, 2004
Lower his price?
if anything this will make gibson unhappy if he has to spend the year in the minors

He's 21 years old, who hasn't played very many games in the recent years, it's best for his development to get games in. And he's going to be an RFA. What's the problem?

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
"John Gibson is not getting traded . . . Put that [effing] out there."

Murray, as tweeted by Joshua cooper.

Yeah, I loved that quote. I was legitimately worried most of the day, and then that poppe up and reeled me back in quickly, almost as if Murray was personally disappointed in me to have thought he might trade him. :laugh: I think he had a similarly colourful quote about not trading him at one of the last couple trading deadlines.

91Fedorov

John (Gibson) 3:16
Dec 30, 2013
Last year obviously doesn't look as good. But, aside from last year, Khudobin's save percentage from 2009-2014 was 0.928. That's pretty impressive. He could really push Freddy for some starts.

BearFlag

Aug 12, 2013
Orange County, CA
"John Gibson is not getting traded . . . Put that [effing] out there."

Murray, as tweeted by Joshua cooper.

I don't understand why we got a 3rd goaltender then. How many other NHL teams have you seen that had two good goaltenders and then decided to get a 3rd one for pure backup purposes. Gibson doesn't belong in the AHL anymore. Him and Andersen would make a great pairing in the regular season. Sure both might get injured at the same time but there are many greater risks a team has to worry about (ie our lack of winger depth).

Why trade away Wiz when he never really had the opportunity play with the team for an extended period of time? Makes little sense. Unless this will part of another package this was a bad move!

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
I do wonder if management feels that Gibson isn't ready for prime time yet, as far as mechanics or some other thing goes. They see him in practice much more than we do.

No white knight replies are required, I'm not criticizing him. I'm looking for a valid reason to keep him in the AHL.

2faded

Jul 3, 2009
Torrance, CA
Not sure who Leonard is, but he does have a bit of a point, even if it exceeds Bob's expectation for his role. Khudobin has serious ability and potential. Andersen is still obviously the favourite to assume a clearly defined starting role, but it would really not be a miracle if Khudobin made things very interesting next season. He's going to surprise some people.

BM did say that Gibson wasn't being traded, he didn't say anything about Andersen. Just a thought, what if next season is an audition between Khudobin and Andersen, and the loser is gone at the deadline or next offseason?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad