KHL Season 20/21

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
That's entirely voluntary, and necessary activity like going to work during the quarantine is permitted by the recommendation.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Jokerit themselves will be able to travel between Finland and Russia according to current regulations, as presumably all players and staff members are residents in Finland and as such restrictions do not apply. It is just very unlikely that Russian teams would be granted entry anytime soon (this year) as hockey is not classified as essential work for which travel restrictions are lifted.
Just leaving it here for studying purposes.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Yes, this part is the one you skipped reading:

It is just very unlikely that Russian teams would be granted entry anytime soon (this year) as hockey is not classified as essential work for which travel restrictions are lifted.

As I said, Finland is seeing a minor spike in cases, which are all related to travel abroad. Several health officials are saying people aren't getting tested and isolating properly which is a clear indication of requesting stricter measures from the government.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Health officials all over the country are already indicating it should become mandatory.

Would require a major legal change, and ultimately have consequences far beyond this particular issue or COVID-19 so I'm doubtful anything so drastic will be done.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Would require a major legal change, and ultimately have consequences far beyond this particular issue or COVID-19 so I'm doubtful anything so drastic will be done.

I think they're hinting that employers should be stricter about it. But the list of countries that people should limit travel to could be growing again, which means Russia isn't getting off that list anytime soon.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

And today the government decided for mandatory testing and quarantine for arrivals from risk countries.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
They're supposed to have their own bubble.
Supposed by who? There are no bubbles nor are they possible the way the league just prepares for the season. It's not like they want to play some 40 games with 20 teams becoming less and less in two arenas.

Also don't mix up being actively infected with COVID-19 and being tested positive for antibodies, meaning, that a person was in contact with the pathogen and develped antibodies which sometimes means that person was not actually sick for one day. There will certainly be a lot of cases of that among young, healthy athletes with their immune systems. There will be a lot of reported cases in the KHL as they test everybody now with some regularity. It does not mean though there is half a team walking around with an actually active infection.

Last edited:
Reactions: TommySalo

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Supposed by who? There are no bubbles nor are they possible the way the league just prepares for the season. It's not like they want to play some 40 games with 20 teams becoming less and less in two arenas.

Also don't mix up being actively infected with COVID-19 and being tested positive for antibodies, meaning, that a person was in contact with the pathogen and develped anibodies which sometimes means that person was not actually sick for one day. There will certainly be a lot of cases of that among young, healthy athletes with their immune systems. There will be a lot of reported cases in the KHL as they test everybody now with some regularity. It does not mean though there is half a team walking around with an actually active infection.
Very true.

The much more important question if other major European hockey leagues will follow. So, regular testing of all players, staff, employees & referees from August 2020 to April 2021. It may cost a lot of money. The KHL has been paying all bills while having a partner research medical centre in every city/region including Finland, Latvia, Belarus & Kazakhstan. As I know, the UEFA has been doing something similar.

Reactions: Atas2000

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

Also don't mix up being actively infected with COVID-19 and being tested positive for antibodies, meaning, that a person was in contact with the pathogen and develped anibodies which sometimes means that person was not actually sick for one day. There will certainly be a lot of cases of that among young, healthy athletes with their immune systems. There will be a lot of reported cases in the KHL as they test everybody now with some regularity. It does not mean though there is half a team walking around with an actually active infection.

Sibir themselves.

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
Big KHL fan here. Need some clarity on a couple of things if you guys don't mind.
1) Are fans allowed? Is there a screening process for entering arenas?
2) Has the league implemented any protocols for players/staff testing?

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Big KHL fan here. Need some clarity on a couple of things if you guys don't mind.
1) Are fans allowed? Is there a screening process for entering arenas?
2) Has the league implemented any protocols for players/staff testing?
1. As for now those are technically not KHL games but regional standalone tournaments which serve as the KHL pre-season traditionally every city/arena makes their own regulations according to the local authorities requirements. Few fans are allowed, tickets are on sale. You can see for yourself what it looked like today in Kazan.

There were around 1500 fans allowed in the arena. And the majority of seats were covered as you can see in the vid. As I was not at the game I don't know what the procedures at the gate are, but I assume pretty much the same as everywhere else in the city. I.e. yes, some screening at the entrance. From what I read today some other pre-season tournament would only allow fans with masks and gloves in.

From what I hear they hope to increase the number of fans allowed in the arenas gradually once the season starts. Of course in accordance with the overall situation. But for now the numbers of new infections constantly decrease and the numbers of recoveries grow.

2.Yes, it has and they are pretty strickt(for example if the team is found guilty of disregarding the COVID-19 regulations and it causes infections it might be forfeiting a game). I will quote the above post by @vorky

So, regular testing of all players, staff, employees & referees from August 2020 to April 2021. It may cost a lot of money. The KHL has been paying all bills while having a partner research medical centre in every city/region including Finland, Latvia, Belarus & Kazakhstan. As I know, the UEFA has been doing something similar.

As league-wide testing would put a lot of financial stress on the teams the league will pay the testings.

Reactions: vorky

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad