KHL 2014-2015 General Discussion - Part II

wakawakawaka

Nov 15, 2014
I heard Astana has money problems is It true? Can anyone confirm if barys is having problems paying its players?

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
I heard Astana has money problems is It true? Can anyone confirm if barys is having problems paying its players?

Yep, it is true. Players association is very angry with Barys as they have not paid wages since January and on top of that have lied to players and the league itself about the situation. That said the club is very laid back about all this and have just submitted application for participation next season. Some say this exact scenario was taking place last summer and everything worked out fine so make of that what you will.

wakawakawaka

Nov 15, 2014
Yep, it is true. Players association is very angry with Barys as they have not paid wages since January and on top of that have lied to players and the league itself about the situation. That said the club is very laid back about all this and have just submitted application for participation next season. Some say this exact scenario was taking place last summer and everything worked out fine so make of that what you will.

hmmmm it seems strange a member of the"presidental" sports club seems so chill about such a dangerous situation

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
hmmmm it seems strange a member of the"presidental" sports club seems so chill about such a dangerous situation

As far as I understand they have been in this exact same situation already before. Also I imagine no one really expects that the league could actually kick someone out just like that (even if the reason is legit enough).

TommySalo

Dec 27, 2009
Well, maybe here is not the right place, but I just watched a very good ice hockey documentary - '' Red army ''.
Highly recommend it.
Phew, 30 years ago CSKA had some team :)

loppa*

Well, maybe here is not the right place, but I just watched a very good ice hockey documentary - '' Red army ''.
Highly recommend it.
Phew, 30 years ago CSKA had some team :)

I saw that movie too, it's a crap movie which should be called "Fetisov and his buddies". Indeed, it was about Fetisov more so than about the Red Army team.

Last edited by a moderator:

obskyr

Apr 29, 2013
Karelia
I saw that movie too, it's a crap movie which should be called "Fetisov and his buddies". Indeed, it was about Fetisov more so than about the Red Army team.
What exactly is wrong with calling a documentary about Fetisov with that name? Would you also call the 1980 Olympics Disney movie "Herb Brooks and his college kids"?

TommySalo

Dec 27, 2009

Disagree. Fetisov was main part of the film, but it was not only about him.
Fetisov, Kasatonov, Makarov, Larionov and Krutov were part of maybe the best 5 in ice hockey history. Great players and characters. I have never seen such a chemistry.
There were things in the documentary I didn't approve / Fetisov looked rather arrogant during the interview and I am not sure that Tikhonov desreved the stick from his former players /, but still i enjoyed it.
Tarasov looked like a pure genius and it was nice to see Russia trying to improve ice hockey fasilities and the way they work with youngsters.

loppa*

The point is that the Red Army team as a whole is much more than just Fetisov and his era. It's much more.

And yes, the movie did mention others, but, it overwhelmingly focused on Fetisov.

Oh, and that hypocrite is now promoting banning players to play in North America until a certain age - actions which in the movie he seemed to condemn. My my my.

obskyr

Apr 29, 2013
Karelia
The point is that the Red Army team as a whole is much more than just Fetisov and his era.
Well, it's not called "CSKA: The Movie". "Red Army" is just a name that was marketed in North America, mostly during the Fetisov's era. Sounds like a well-fitting name for a movie about his career from the North American PoV.

loppa*

Well, it's not called "CSKA: The Movie". "Red Army" is just a name that was marketed in North America, mostly during the Fetisov's era. Sounds like a well-fitting name for a movie about his career from the North American PoV.

Look, you can have however much of a ***** you want for them. That's your problem, not mine.

A fellow Yugoslav nailed it very well back in the day. I copy his post, I forget where it was from, but, I saved it.

Not entirely about the whole Red Army team
2/10
Author: bagic-tomislav from Zagreb, Croatia
25 October 2014

The movie should be titled "I am Slava Fetisov, the God of Russian and Soviet hockey". It is mostly about Fetisov, and his line, which included Makarov, Larionov, Krutov and Kasatonov. I was expecting the movie to be more about the whole Red Army team, not just a single line. Some of the greatest hockey players of all time, Valeri Kharlamov,Alexander Yakushev, Vyacheslav Bykov were not even mentioned (although there was one cut of Kharlamov in an airplane). Furthermore, it also includes much not logical stuff said by Fetisov. Also it gives a completely wrong image of Russian players playing in the NHL, in the movie, it seemed like all the players wanted to go to the NHL, but the truth is, some players could play, but refused (most notably Slava Bykov). Would not recommend

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Look, you can have however much of a ***** you want for them. That's your problem, not mine.

A fellow Yugoslav nailed it very well back in the day. I copy his post, I forget where it was from, but, I saved it.

Agreed. The movie is a huge Fetisov fap.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010

That fellow sure knows his stuff. Would love to learn more from him, particularly about Alexander Yakushev's distinguished career with the Red Army team. :sarcasm:

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
That fellow sure knows his stuff. Would love to learn more from him, particularly about Alexander Yakushev's distinguished career with the Red Army team. :sarcasm:

And the part about Slava Bykov "refusing". :laugh: Him and Homutov were probably among the best paid players in Europe at Fribourg, so there wasn't that much financial incentive for them to leave.

Last edited:

kulenova seka

And the part about Slave Bykov "refusing". :laugh: Him and Homutov were probably among the best paid players in Europe at Davos, so there wasn't that much financial incentive for them to leave.

Fribourg Gotteron

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010

His career with CSKA had modest statistics: 0 GP, 0 G, 0 A, 0 Pts, 0 PM

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
The point is that the Red Army team as a whole is much more than just Fetisov and his era. It's much more.

And yes, the movie did mention others, but, it overwhelmingly focused on Fetisov.

Oh, and that hypocrite is now promoting banning players to play in North America until a certain age - actions which in the movie he seemed to condemn. My my my.

Based on the reviews I have read, the movie focused on Larionov, Krutov, Makarov, Fetisov and Kasatonov, with a lot of interview segments with Tretiak. Of that group, only Fetisov and Larionov spoke English with enough ease to narrate the film in English. Fetisov seems the natural choice. It is reportedly a story of those 5 guys and their relationship with Tikhonov, who was depicted as the agent of the Politburo and the Defense ministry. Fair or not, that and other similar documentaries (ESPN 30 on 30 "Of Miracles and Men" on youtube) present Tarasov as the brilliant, creative guy who created the work of art that truly was Soviet hockey, in contrast with the "accountant" Tikhonov, who turned it into a prison camp where the players were confined 11 months of the year, and who eventually strangled the beauty of the Soviet game in the process. Fair or not, that was how the film was presented, with apparent unanimous accord from the players.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Based on the reviews I have read, the movie focused on Larionov, Krutov, Makarov, Fetisov and Kasatonov, with a lot of interview segments with Tretiak. Of that group, only Fetisov and Larionov spoke English with enough ease to narrate the film in English. Fetisov seems the natural choice. It is reportedly a story of those 5 guys and their relationship with Tikhonov, who was depicted as the agent of the Politburo and the Defense ministry. Fair or not, that and other similar documentaries (ESPN 30 on 30 "Of Miracles and Men" on youtube) present Tarasov as the brilliant, creative guy who created the work of art that truly was Soviet hockey, in contrast with the "accountant" Tikhonov, who turned it into a prison camp where the players were confined 11 months of the year, and who eventually strangled the beauty of the Soviet game in the process. Fair or not, that was how the film was presented, with apparent unanimous accord from the players.

I noticed yesterday that the documentary was out on torrent sites, so I downloaded it. I haven't had time to watch it yet.

obskyr

Apr 29, 2013
Karelia
Of that group, only Fetisov and Larionov spoke English with enough ease to narrate the film in English. Fetisov seems the natural choice.
And it's not like Fetisov is a very good narrator either. That film would be even more awkward without Pozner providing a bit of a context. His English skills were quite helpful too.

The people who seem to have problems are the ones who expected that movie to be some sort of a documentary about the history of the Soviet hockey program. And that's not what was promised in any of its descriptions. I also don't really think that it would be fair to make a work about a subject like that masquerading it as a film about the CSKA hockey. Sure, during Tikhonov and Fetisov's time the entire system was extremely centralized around the Army, but even then it was only a part of the whole sotry, which also shouldn't be told in isolation.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
And it's not like Fetisov is a very good narrator either. That film would be even more awkward without Pozner providing a bit of a context. His English skills were quite helpful too.

The people who seem to have problems are the ones who expected that movie to be some sort of a documentary about the history of the Soviet hockey program. And that's not what was promised in any of its descriptions. I also don't really think that it would be fair to make a work about a subject like that masquerading it as a film about the CSKA hockey. Sure, during Tikhonov and Fetisov's time the entire system was extremely centralized around the Army, but even then it was only a part of the whole sotry, which also shouldn't be told in isolation.

If someone was more interested in a more comprehensive history of Soviet hockey as perceived through Western eyes, you can find it in the ESPN cable network documentary:"30 on 30; Of Miracles and Men," a 2-hour documentary that you can find on youtube. It goes into much more depth about the whole of the Soviet program, from beginning to end, instead of just focusing on 5 guys. It is fascinating, IMO, and in addition to some hilarious interviews with Mikhailov, Petrov, Yakushev, and so on, provides almost an in-depth look at Tarasov, which really stunned me! I read his book "The Road to Olympus," which alone establishes his credentials as a genius, but I didn't know anything about how he handled his players. In his own way, he was every bit as much of a slave driver as Tikhonov, but he obviously carried it out in a way that caused his players to love him - worship him, actually! Which meant the comparison with Tikhonov was not flattering. If you have a 2 hours to spare, its definitely worth a look, IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad