TBN: KeyBank Center upgrades

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
The seating bowl is not below the scoreboard.
It doesn't matter.. the work isn't going to consist of just where the scoreboard will be.

Electrical and audio and video cables are going to be run thruout the entirety of the arena up above

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
It's actually hilarious that this massive upgrade is essentially just getting the type of video board almost every other arena has and fixing a leaky roof.

Reactions: BuffaloMango

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
It's crazy to me how little upkeep has been done and how some people are OK with it and celebrate when just basic maintenance is done. It's like people have been led to believe that having a well maintained arena isn't something that fans in Buffalo deserve.

:dunno:

If they did what @HOOats implied above and had someone just working on cosmetics, I'm sure workers local #whateverfuggedaboutit would be around demanding it be a union job and not at all breaking things if it wasn't.
It's actually hilarious that this massive upgrade is essentially just getting the type of video board almost every other arena has and fixing a leaky roof.

Ignore things long enough and even the basics can be made into a big deal.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Yep.. it's just a plug and play
No, but the cables to the scoreboard are not going to be running all over the place. They will be consolidated in one or two paths to the scoreboard. Generally, the data runs in one path from the control board, usually in the press box in most arenas. Although, now that we are in the 21st century, it very likely could run off of WiFi. Then you have the power that oftentimes runs a different path. But, you do not have audio, video, and power cables running all over the place. At least not if you have somebody designing the system who has a clue what they are doing.

Ignore things long enough and even the basics can be made into a big deal.
I so want to post the Chris Rock "do you want a cookie?!?!" bit.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
No, but the cables to the scoreboard are not going to be running all over the place. They will be consolidated in one or two paths to the scoreboard. Generally, the data runs in one path from the control board, usually in the press box in most arenas. Although, now that we are in the 21st century, it very likely could run off of WiFi. Then you have the power that oftentimes runs a different path. But, you do not have audio, video, and power cables running all over the place. At least not if you have somebody designing the system who has a clue what they are doing.

I so want to post the Chris Rock "do you want a cookie?!?!" bit.

So work will not just be going on above the scoreboard. Glad we came to that conclusion

• Haha

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
So work will not just be going on above the scoreboard. Glad we came to that conclusion
It would not take months to do and would be limited to an area where they could safely work to replace like 75%+ of the seats.

If you look around the league, you will see other arenas that have gone through major renovations in one offseason that involved a lot more than what is planned this offseason for KBC.

They could do more. They are choosing not to.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
It's crazy to me how little upkeep has been done and how some people are OK with it and celebrate when just basic maintenance is done. It's like people have been led to believe that having a well maintained arena isn't something that fans in Buffalo deserve.

I don’t know if people are ok with it so much as they don’t think much about it. I had season tickets for years and didn’t really think much about it. I also didn’t see most of the issues either. It’s not that I don’t think they're there. I just didn't notice them. I’m certainly not excited they're addressing them either.

Maybe it was due to my 27+years on the BFD working in firehouses that were falling apart. So the arena was like the Taj Mahal in comparison. :laugh:

Reactions: Dingo44 and HOOats

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I don’t know if people are ok with it so much as they don’t think much about it. I had season tickets for years and didn’t really think much about it. I also didn’t see most of the issues either. It’s not that I don’t think they're there. I just didn't notice them. I’m certainly not excited they're addressing them either.

Maybe it was due to my 27+years on the BFD working in firehouses that were falling apart. So the arena was like the Taj Mahal in comparison. :laugh:
I bet the #1 reason is that the majority of fans have not been to other NHL arenas to compare. Especially not to the other arenas of similar vintage that have been maintained a lot better.

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
It would not take months to do and would be limited to an area where they could safely work to replace like 75%+ of the seats.

If you look around the league, you will see other arenas that have gone through major renovations in one offseason that involved a lot more than what is planned this offseason for KBC.

How many renovations included a new roof?

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
How many renovations included a new roof?
It's hard to tell because almost no teams tout getting the roof replaced as something that is happening. They just do it without asking for kudos for doing routine building maintenance that most fans will not notice like new seats or a new scoreboard.

Mortenson was hired by the NHL's Tampa Bay Lightning to perform two successive renovations of Amalie Arena. The first phase consisted of 340,000 square feet of significant modifications including seat replacement, new HVAC systems, renovated premium spaces, and construction of an upper-level party deck.

The second phase focused on fan-facing upgrades such as the reconstruction of an entire club level for season ticket members as well as media and hospitality spaces on the event level. Construction was planned to take place during the Lightning's five month offseason, but the schedule was reduced to three months as the Lightning advanced through the playoffs and on to the Stanley Cup series. Work began less than ten hours after the final game.

In both phases, Amalie Arena remained fully functional, hosting dozens of events during their lightning round of renovations without disruption or loss of revenue.

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
It's hard to tell because almost no teams tout getting the roof replaced as something that is happening. They just do it without asking for kudos for doing routine building maintenance that most fans will not notice like new seats or a new scoreboard.

Replacing a roof is hardly routine maintenance.

Reactions: Dingo44

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011

Nobody said it would take months to install a scoreboard... but they aren't going to start the scoreboard until the roof is replaced.

Honestly I don't know why I have to paint obvious things out to you. But you keep pivoting and making strawmen so I will leave you to being upset that these are the first 2 items looking to be done.

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY

I went to the Rocket Mortgage Fieldhouse in Cleveland this past summer to see Paramore and it was insane how much better the place looked despite being 2 years older than KBC--they've been updating it regularly for sure. Great lighting everywhere, plenty of clean restrooms (with hot water!), no signs of rust or cracks in any of the walls or floors, comfortable seating and what looked like padded seats everywhere in the building from my vantage point in the 100s. And they offered a greater variety of concessions at much better price points and had a lot of cool historical Cavs heritage stuff around.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
I bet the #1 reason is that the majority of fans have not been to other NHL arenas to compare. Especially not to the other arenas of similar vintage that have been maintained a lot better.

I've been to the current arenas in Buffalo, Raleigh, Philadelphia, Detroit, Nashville, Las Vegas, Tampa, Washington, and Chicago, and I don't feel that Buffalo's is much worse than any of them other than maybe Detroit's - and Little Ceasars Arena is a fantastic arena with much worse seats in the upper deck. I don't think it's going to take a lot to get it up to the league average if the expectations are realistic. New seats will be nice. Wish there was a way to add windows when they're replacing the roof.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I've been to the current arenas in Buffalo, Raleigh, Philadelphia, Detroit, Nashville, Las Vegas, Tampa, Washington, and Chicago, and I don't feel that Buffalo's is much worse than any of them other than maybe Detroit's - and Little Ceasars Arena is a fantastic arena with much worse seats in the upper deck. I don't think it's going to take a lot to get it up to the league average if the expectations are realistic. New seats will be nice. Wish there was a way to add windows when they're replacing the roof.
That's why I want a new arena. You can make it as nice as you want inside.. but it's still a skyline blight with it looking like pretty much an oval piece of concrete. At least paint it or put murals on the outside or something.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
That's why I want a new arena. You can make it as nice as you want inside.. but it's still a skyline blight with it looking like pretty much an oval piece of concrete. At least paint it or put murals on the outside or something.

I'm not sure having more windows is worth a billion dollars.

• Haha
Reactions: Beerz

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Replacing a roof is hardly routine maintenance.
I guess your definition of routine maintenance is different than mine. Any part of a building that needs to be replaced at regular intervals is routine maintenance to me.

As a home owner, the roof, the driveway, and other things like that they need work at regular intervals are just a part of routine maintenance as they have expected timeframes for when work will be required.

Reactions: Zman5778

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
Why replace cosmetics for fans that don't show up? Maybe if they field a playoff team next year, seats etc will be the next offseason upgrades.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Why replace cosmetics for fans that don't show up? Maybe if they field a playoff team next year, seats etc will be the next offseason upgrades.
I look at it the other way. If they can't be a playoff team, they should be doing more to make the non-on-ice product as high quality as possible.

It's like if you are going to be a fat and ugly dude, you better be rich and have a great personality.

• Haha
Reactions: TageGod

May Day 10

Apr 19, 2006
St Catharines, ON
There are other things though that are easier....

The individual goal songs, for example. They are awful goal songs, sometimes cringey. They play them at too loud of a volume and it puts a dagger through any atmosphere and fan engagement.

Next time look around for a Sabres goal. There will be a roar, people get up and cheer, the music presses everyone back down into their seat pretty quickly. Music stops, there is a brief roar, then the puck drops. It is just terrible game presentation

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad