TBN: KeyBank Center upgrades

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
Minority opinion: I've been to several games the past couple of years, and found the arena experience to be satisfactory. Granted I did pay extra for club seats, so maybe that's the difference. But the seats were in good working order, the beverage holders intact, the service was prompt, the staff friendly, the bathrooms clean, and overall the arena appeared to be in decent condition. Granted I haven't been to any other arenas, so maybe I'm still stuck in 2007. God knows my wardrobe is.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
The biggest problem with the arena is the value proposition of the 200 level seats. They are considered superior, and no one wants them or will pay for them. Obviously, every team has to have NHL boxes but 200 seats should be downgraded and more densely packed at a cheaper price point.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I did get some laughs about Joe & Lance talking about this announcement at the end of the newest Maintenance Day pod.

And Joe is another person stumping for them to replace the seats ASAP and to have the new ones have The Aud color scheme like they did with the t-shirts.

Lance was pushing for updates to the concourses and having things like public displays, including the Sabres Hall of Fame, that allow fans to look back at the team's history while walking around.

Stuff like this would be a huge upgrade.

You know they can't do all the planned upgrades in one offseason right
Why can't they replace the seats and update the concourses in the same offseason that they install a new scoreboard and replace the roof?

Reactions: Chainshot

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
I did get some laughs about Joe & Lance talking about this announcement at the end of the newest Maintenance Day pod.

And Joe is another person stumping for them to replace the seats ASAP and to have the new ones have The Aud color scheme like they did with the t-shirts.

Lance was pushing for updates to the concourses and having things like public displays, including the Sabres Hall of Fame, that allow fans to look back at the team's history while walking around.

Why can't they replace the seats and update the concourses in the same offseason that they install a new scoreboard and replace the roof?

I don't want to be that guy but, money.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Of course it is. They got almost $60 million in public incentives and tax breaks to build Harbor Center, I'm sure they have their hand out looking for more taxpayer money to make their arena into something less than a (bird) shit hole.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

Buffalo Sabres – KeyBank Center

Some older NHL arenas are relatively well maintained and modernized, but unfortunately for Sabres fans, KeyBank Center is not one of those arenas. Rust and cracks give the building a run-down appearance. The concession options are unspectacular, and the concourses are slightly more cramped than modern venues. Even the jumbotron is one of the smallest in the NHL. The Sabres’ barn isn’t the oldest arena, but it’s undoubtedly one of the most poorly kept ones.

Unlike some of the other arenas on this list, there is no new building in sight for the Sabres. The Buffalo Bills are already constructing a new stadium using $850 million in public money for the project. It is unlikely that taxpayers will be on board with another massive financial commitment in the near future, especially given the poor product they’ve been subjected to on the ice over the past 12 years. Because the Sabres are probably stuck in KeyBank Center for the foreseeable future, they might be better suited for a major renovation; it’s long overdue.

But I'm being told that the Pegulas are not cheap by more than a few people. And we constantly hear from the Sabres that money isn't an issue.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Since I have no problems spending other people's money, I'd like to see a new arena built with a better ice surface.

I remember complaints about the quality of the ice from day one. They brought in an expert from Edmonton as a consultant who found an unfix-able issue with the foundation.

One of the reasons (IMHO) that the Sabres play better on the road is superior ice conditions. That would be a huge difference for a skills based roster.

The flip-side is if the Sabres home ice is crappier than most, they should have constructed a roster to cope, or even take advantage of it.

All that being said, it's been about 10 years since I've been to KBC. Seemed fine from a fan perspective.
I think you’re confusing it with the issues at Canalside’s rink.

They’ve played at several arenas on the road where the ice was like soup.

HOOats

NO DOOM NO GLOOM
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
The rust and the cracks are a thing. As someone who has done A LOT of painting, caulking, and general lipstick-on-pig work, I'm amazed every time I go that EVERYTHING isn't freshly covered and sealed. Pay a guy $25/hr to endlessly wander the building and hit everything he sees. It's the cheapest measure of upkeep and it goes such a long way with the large majority of people who unlike us aren't so carefully inspecting things.
Nothing in the “new” arena has ever come close to replicating g the energy and excitement of a playoff game in the Aud. Damn I miss that place. Good times.
That Carolina game was so fun and crowd so lively that I didn't think for a second about KBC's state of disrepair. Stating the obvious, but the team's play can essentially erase grouching about facilities. I've regularly attended some dumps to watch great hockey and couldn't care less (but I'm also not really the modern luxury experience consumer).

Like with the Aud, old buildings filled with good memories take on a spirit of their own that overcome lacking amenities and stained facades. Unfortunately, I think (disappearing) nostalgic architecture plays a big part in that. The Aud's New Deal charm was distinctive and real late in its life. KBC's uninspired 90's build is not going to age nearly as gracefully. It just feels like a modern building, but a broken down, crummy one.

Unfortunately we're going to be stuck with it forever (30 more years), so the team better get good if we want the experience to improve.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
The rust and the cracks are a thing. As someone who has done A LOT of painting, caulking, and general lipstick-on-pig work, I'm amazed every time I go that EVERYTHING isn't freshly covered and sealed. Pay a guy $25/hr to endlessly wander the building and hit everything he sees. It's the cheapest measure of upkeep and it goes such a long way with the large majority of people who unlike us aren't so carefully inspecting things.
It's crazy to me how little upkeep has been done and how some people are OK with it and celebrate when just basic maintenance is done. It's like people have been led to believe that having a well maintained arena isn't something that fans in Buffalo deserve.

:dunno:

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
Playoff game? Whats that?
Its when numerous teenage girls camp outside their local Target in order to be the first in line to get their hands on the most coveted prize in hockey:

1709054183889.png

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix

Theres probably a safety and logistics issue having people working underneath a roof thats being replaced.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Theres probably a safety and logistics issue having people working underneath a roof thats being replaced.
How long do you think it will take to replace the roof?

And if they can do the roof and the scoreboard in the same offseason, they should be able to do the seats at the same time as they are doing the scoreboard.

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix

And if they can do the roof and the scoreboard in the same offseason, they should be able to do the seats at the same time as they are doing the scoreboard.
Union labor, probably most of the off-season :laugh:

Reactions: Ehran

many76

Sep 20, 2014
It amazes how us Americans keep giving money to billionaires, and u have in Toronto scotiabank getting a $350 million renovation without public funds, which has had already multiple upgrades upgrades without public funds

Puppa2Miller

Oct 4, 2007
It amazes how us Americans keep giving money to billionaires, and u have in Toronto scotiabank getting a $350 million renovation without public funds, which has had already multiple upgrades upgrades without public funds
Just charge Maple Leaf ticket prices. Get as good a local tv deal as Toronto does. Make as much on advertising in Toronto

If only any of these things were possible here

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011

I would say no... putting up the scoreboard both installing it and even running all the electrical and wires and everything else will have work being done overhead... you're not going to have workers working below all of that.

Ehran

Sponsor
Feb 2, 2019
Texas
I'm assuming they would need to unbolt each seat or row of seats? And then lift them out?

19k seats is a lot of seats. Plus all the extra cabling / support to lift out seat rows from the upper sections. It's not going to be a quick project. And those unionized crane operators don't work cheaply ... or quickly.

Not to mention... isn't KBC used quite a bit during the summer? I would assume events are already contracted for summer of '24, and maybe into summer of '25.

A lot of logistics and scheduling to deal with. A lot more complicated and "moving parts" in some ways than a roof. Maybe. :huh:

HOOats

NO DOOM NO GLOOM
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
There hasn't been any talk of public funding re: the planned upgrades. Poloncarz confirmed in the last fall's CE debate that the Pegulas were covering all costs. His Republican challenger called for more proof of positive community impacts for future public handouts to big business. Poloncarz also stated that the Sabres lease at KBC is due to be renegotiated during this his fourth term.

Just charge Maple Leaf ticket prices. Get as good a local tv deal as Toronto does. Make as much on advertising in Toronto

If only any of these things were possible here
MLE also owns the building outright, whereas Erie County owns KBC, the City owns the land, and the Pegulas are responsible for operations and upkeep.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
MLSE is owned by many investors including public unions

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I would say no... putting up the scoreboard both installing it and even running all the electrical and wires and everything else will have work being done overhead... you're not going to have workers working below all of that.
The seating bowl is not below the scoreboard.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad