Kevyn Adams - New GM

Status
Not open for further replies.

JLewyB

May 6, 2013
Pegulaville
We aren’t hiring anyone until next season officially starts. That’s my assumption. All these firings were to save money. Why would we hire people during this down time?

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
We aren’t hiring anyone until next season officially starts. That’s my assumption. All these firings were to save money. Why would we hire people during this down time?

Ummm, I would think that Adams would want more than a handful of scouts to talk through building their draft list and scout the guys in this draft class who may be playing with the European and CHL teams prior to the draft taking place.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I wish someone had asked the fool who owns us the following question: "Your plan is to put the team on an austerity budget and rely on a ridiculously small scouting department and management to somehow miraculously produce results out of very little by making nothing but prime Bill Torrey level draft and player acquisitions. However you keep hiring people who have no experience. Why would any sane person think doing nothing but hiring amateurs instead of people with proven successful track records will produce anything other than the complete and utter failure that is the calling card of your ownership?"

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Ummm, I would think that Adams would want more than a handful of scouts to talk through building their draft list and scout the guys in this draft class who may be playing with the European and CHL teams prior to the draft taking place.

Why? .. When you have renowned Scouts and Analytics Department for free on HFBoards.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
I wish someone had asked the fool who owns us the following question: "Your plan is to put the team on an austerity budget and rely on a ridiculously small scouting department and management to somehow miraculously produce results out of very little by making nothing but prime Bill Torrey level draft and player acquisitions. However you keep hiring people who have no experience. Why would any sane person think doing nothing but hiring amateurs instead of people with proven successful track records will produce anything other than the complete and utter failure that is the calling card of your ownership?"

Well....... how about....... "You see, there's woke. And then there's Kim Pegula woke!"?

Not trying to be political here. But it's pretty obvious that you either mesh with Mrs Pegula (and see and do things her way). Or you aren't on the team.

I still love and revere the idealist holistic concept of the Buffalo Sabres NHL hockey franchise. I just have no respect for the organizational mess that it has become under this ownership.

I had high hopes. They have been dashed year after year. Move after move. Over the long haul, the Pegula era can be regarded as nothing less than a dumpster fire..

Reactions: sabremike

ForsbergMoDo21

Feb 19, 2008
Rochester NY
This was it for me. For them to double down on the inexperience that’s been destroying their front office and team, and after multiple hires and a decade of trial and error. I’d have been proud to see a Buffalo be at the forefront of integrating women into the NHL in a meaningful way. But Kim Pegula is a joke. No wonder she keeps hiring inexperienced people that are unqualified for their jobs—every time she does it makes her feel better about her own lack of qualification.

I’d rather have poor owners and an internal salary cap if it meant two buffoons weren’t incessantly meddling in the hockey operations.

Reactions: May Day 10

PegulasSportsEmpire

Mar 24, 2007
BUFFALO
The only way I see this team getting good is by the Pegulas continuing to F up and as a result we get a lot of top 10 draft picks.

If we keep drafting players like Dahlin, Cozens etc..... then eventually we will see a team worth a damn.

This is not defending the Pegulas or trying to make you feel better about the state of the team. I want One Buffalo to end and for the Pegulas to sell the team to someone who won't meddle. Its just the way I see it.

They won't get good because the Pegulas got it right but because the NHL is designed that way.

Last edited:

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
The only way I see this team getting good is by the Pegulas continuing to F up and as a result we get a lot of top 10 draft picks.

If we keep drafting players like Dahlin, Cozens etc..... then eventually we will see a team worth a damn.

This is not defending the Pegulas or trying to make you feel better about the state of the team. I want One Buffalo to end and for the Pegulas to sell the team to someone who won't meddle. Its just the way I see it.

They won't get good because the Pegulas got it right but because the NHL is designed that way.
Not true at all if the organization is a dysfunctional mess.

Reactions: sabremike

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY

The flaw in your thesis: They have already had 7 consecutive top 8 picks (with the 8th coming in October) and are right now a basket case with basically a handful of players any other NHL team would even be interested in if they could sign them for free. They just hired a GM with absolutely zero experience as a hockey executive who is very unlikely to change that. And remember that with the lottery the draft has been corrupted from it's original purpose of helping bad teams get better and instead punishes bad teams.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
The flaw in your thesis: They have already had 7 consecutive top 8 picks (with the 8th coming in October) and are right now a basket case with basically a handful of players any other NHL team would even be interested in if they could sign them for free. They just hired a GM with absolutely zero experience as a hockey executive who is very unlikely to change that. And remember that with the lottery the draft has been corrupted from it's original purpose of helping bad teams get better and instead punishes bad teams.
Thing is, even if they're pinching pennies, acquiring a bunch of cheap guys with spreadsheet-based upside would be a vast improvement over Botterill. The past two years have been incoherent, with the team making a bunch of moves to get into the playoffs ASAP (Skinner, Reinhart bridge, Vesey, etc) only to undo them by deferring to veteran experience and draft position over results.

If analytics end up a facade as Pegulas continue to gut the organization, it'll be readily apparent, and we can hold off on the emotional investment until they win another lottery.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
Thing is, even if they're pinching pennies, acquiring a bunch of cheap guys with spreadsheet-based upside would be a vast improvement over Botterill. The past two years have been incoherent, with the team making a bunch of moves to get into the playoffs ASAP (Skinner, Reinhart bridge, Vesey, etc) only to undo them by deferring to veteran experience and draft position over results.

If analytics end up a facade as Pegulas continue to gut the organization, it'll be readily apparent, and we can hold off on the emotional investment until they win another lottery.
Their scouting dept. could be 2 guys, one looking at just spreadsheets of pro player analytics and one looking at amateur player analytics and I guarantee the last 3 years would have went a lot better.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
With the abandoned season do we still get cap penalties due to bonuses? If so
the Wayne Simmonds trade really stings even more.

I want both Miller and Montour gone. Would be open to trade Reinhart as well but then we have 0 good players at RW.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Their scouting dept. could be 2 guys, one looking at just spreadsheets of pro player analytics and one looking at amateur player analytics and I guarantee the last 3 years would have went a lot better.
They could have set an internal cap a few million under the true cap, saved the pegulas significant money, and still done better. Its amazing how much they've spent on mediocrity.

Yet I still see people ask "how could they have magically spent less and gotten better players?", in regards to the depth, as if frolik, simmonds, etc big contracts make them good players.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
With the abandoned season do we still get cap penalties due to bonuses? If so
the Wayne Simmonds trade really stings even more.

I want both Miller and Montour gone. Would be open to trade Reinhart as well but then we have 0 good players at RW.
Check the around the NHL page. There was something in there about the new CBA extension allowing a multi-year amortization of bonus cap overages.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
At this point whenever I see people talk about how Adams is well-suited for a position (hockey executive) he has absolutely zero experience at any level in all I can do is laugh to prevent myself from crying.

Botterill had all the right experiences and he sucked.

Sometimes experience on the technical side isn't necessary. Just need to understand leadership and build a good team. Maybe Adams is that type of person?

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY

Sometimes experience on the technical side isn't necessary. Just need to understand leadership and build a good team. Maybe Adams is that type of person?
It's basic common sense that someone with experience in a field has a much better chance of success than somebody who has none. Hiring someone with zero experience because you hired a guy with experience and he flamed out is poor logic. If I choose from a pool where there is a 50% chance of success and the guy flops how does picking a guy from a pool with a 10% chance of success make any sense? And this isn't even mentioning Adams got the gig for the same exact reason Garth Snow ended up Isles GM.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
It's basic common sense that someone with experience in a field has a much better chance of success than somebody who has none. Hiring someone with zero experience because you hired a guy with experience and he flamed out is poor logic. If I choose from a pool where there is a 50% chance of success and the guy flops how does picking a guy from a pool with a 10% chance of success make any sense? And this isn't even mentioning Adams got the gig for the same exact reason Garth Snow ended up Isles GM.

Not always. Experience isn't the only thing that matters. If it was, the guy who worked the floor at Nestle would eventually become the CEO, because of experience in the company. That hardly ever happens.

And let's not pretend that Adams was slicing meat at Wegman's when he got the call for the job. He's been working in hockey for a while now.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010

I wish our ownership would hire people that the bolded sort of question is already answered. Too many times we have to wait and see on the 'maybes'.

Reactions: Cheese Breadman

May Day 10

Apr 19, 2006
St Catharines, ON
This thing is way too heavy for a lift for someone with little to no experience, guided by 2 owners who cannot help themselves, and another relatively inexperienced NHL coach (although said coach has some compelling experience elsewhere).

I get that people have to start somewhere and experience isnt the be-all-end-all... but what part of the Pegulas' track record with this franchise would indicate they could get it correct? This 'flat management structure' is also doomed to fail. I get that in night school, Kim Pegula learned that flat management could be an effective approach, but not in the NHL.

Why cant they just hire someone like Rick Dudley to help? They claim they are all about "ideas", but the truth is.... they dont want to hear them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad