Kevyn Adams - New GM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
There needs to be a separate thread for this. You're giving him bad Karma putting him in the Botterill thread. :laugh:

Five things about new Sabres GM Kevyn Adams

Sabres ties. Adams originally joined the Sabres in 2009 as player development coach and served as assistant coach from 2011-2013. He was named vice president and director of the Academy of Hockey at LECOM Harborcenter in October 2013, a year before the facility opened. He was named general manager of HarborCenter in January 2019 and Sabres' senior vice president of business administration last September.

I think he has a shot at being a good GM. He has a lot more experience than Garth Snow had on the management side. He was also a player agent. Being liked by the Pegulas is a plus. Marv Levy and Ralph Wilson got along famously. Let's face it, we have owners who need their hands held and everything explained to them. It's an added job requirement and it's a big one. Adams has developed a lot of contacts over the years and shouldn't have any problem adding good people. He's had a view from above and understands what the organization needs. He has a normal size head and isn't named Jason, but I still can't get accept spelling Kevin with a Y.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
There needs to be a separate thread for this. You're giving him bad Karma putting him in the Botterill thread. :laugh:

Five things about new Sabres GM Kevyn Adams

Sabres ties. Adams originally joined the Sabres in 2009 as player development coach and served as assistant coach from 2011-2013. He was named vice president and director of the Academy of Hockey at LECOM Harborcenter in October 2013, a year before the facility opened. He was named general manager of HarborCenter in January 2019 and Sabres' senior vice president of business administration last September.

I think he has a shot at being a good GM. He has a lot more experience than Garth Snow had on the management side. He was also a player agent. Being liked by the Pegulas is a plus. Marv Levy and Ralph Wilson got along famously. Let's face it, we have owners who need their hands held and everything explained to them. It's an added job requirement and it's a big one. Adams has developed a lot of contacts over the years and shouldn't have any problem adding good people. He's had a view from above and understands what the organization needs. He has a normal size head and isn't named Jason, but I still can't get accept spelling Kevin with a Y.

Let's be 100% here. Kevyn Adams does not have the credentials to be a NHL GM. Now, does that he mean he won't make a good one? No. It's going to be about who he surrounds himself with. If this is the only major front office move for the Sabres this summer, it's going to be setup to fail. Adams biggest asset is his relationship with the Pegula's. If he can keep them at an arm's length of hockey operations and gather good minds underneath him to build a strong org, we'll be better moving forward.

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
It's ominous that his best qualification is that he has marginally more experience than Garth Snow, and his only selling point is that the Pegula's like him.

This guy isn't Stevie Y or Joe Sakic, guys who had tremendous success as players in the NHL and parlayed that into managerial roles. Adams is, at best, socially intelligent, with no other justifiable quality supporting his elevation to NHL GM.

Clown show.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I find the new GM choice.....Inconceivable.

5p1.jpg

original-16805-1424914242-9.png

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
It's ominous that his best qualification is that he has marginally more experience than Garth Snow, and his only selling point is that the Pegula's like him.

This guy isn't Stevie Y or Joe Sakic, guys who had tremendous success as players in the NHL and parlayed that into managerial roles. Adams is, at best, socially intelligent, with no other justifiable quality supporting his elevation to NHL GM.

Clown show.
Tremendous nhl success also doesn't qualify a person as an nhl gm

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo
I posted this in the Botts fired thread. This is probably a better spot for it...

Pretty funny that we fired him as an assistant coach a whole 7 years ago. Guess the Pegulas changed their minds pretty swiftly. What did he do until he was hired as the VP? I don't remember.

May Day 10

Apr 19, 2006
St Catharines, ON
this is a joke.

100% so Kim Pegula feels comfortable bringing her 'ideas' to the table. Surround yourself with management you are comfortable with (yes men).

This is the Buffalo Bills/Ralph Wilson circa-00s to a T.

See everyone in 3 years. The next time we can come around with enough proof that the GM needs to leave and we can hope for a real search.

Reactions: seagull

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
I know many people will disagree with this, but people can learn a lot from failure or lack of success. It just really depends on how open-minded and how good of a problem solver they are.

Look at botterill. The guy won a cup in Pittsburgh in a management role. Sometimes when you have success like that you think you know everything. They had success with college kids, so he favored them. Maybe analytics wasn't a part of their success, so he assumed he could win without. Someone without that success might not have the ego to think they have all the answers and will do more to figure things out.

We can only hope Adams is the type of person to really try to learn how to be successful than assuming he knows everything

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Don't have much to go on to show if he's capable or not of handling this type of position. Much like the Botterill hire, I don't think this is the right direction in terms of experience with what is required in today's NHL. We have no choice to see what he can do at this point it appears (unless plans change, which under this ownership, wouldn't be shocked).

Will be interesting to see who he will hire as his assistants. Will some hold coaches/teammates be pegged for some spots? Could they restructure the team?

Curious what he envisions for players on the team. What type of players do they want target in scouting (amateur/professional)? How adverse is he with the CBA? If not, who will he hire?

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Eagerly awaiting the presser. Terry is atrocious at public speaking, but maybe some evidence of intellect shines through somewhere.

That's the hope, anyways.

CrazyPsycho

Elite Drafter
Sep 25, 2003
Important question:

- Home Alone Kevin GIFs?

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

- Kevin from the Office Gifs

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

I think we might get a better variety from the like the 8 seasons of the office, but....a kid left alone while the house gets robbed might be a bit more fitting?

Could go right for kevin drops the chili after this press conference

TalkingProuder

Feb 27, 2015
Buffalo, NY
Heard a little bit.

My favorite one is how he is from the area so he REALLY WILL want to make the Sabres good.

He grew up in Buffalo and worked with the Pegulas. No need to do a job search.

I don't think Kim or Terry enjoy job searches which is why they often just grab someone out of left field.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
Look we don’t know anything about him. Maybe he is an idiot. Maybe he is amazing at surrounding himself with great minds who will the franchise around.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Adams is fine. Who knows. Murray and Botterill were always top candidates in the NHL. We'll see what happens. It was certainly a cheaper option. Would rather experience but they don't listen to fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad