Kevyn Adams - New GM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
But Dudley wouldn’t have to interact with the Pegulas. Put him in charge of scouting. Adams is the point person to talk to the Pegulas.
Terry Pegula cited Botterill trying to deny him access to the scouting dept as one of the reasons for firing him.
What the Sabres' decision-makers said this week and what it...
Terry Pegula: We believe in a flat organization where we can all talk to each other and communicate, not only the head coach, the GM and the owners, but strength and conditioning, the players, everybody.
Adams: Without getting overly specific, philosophically I really believe in flat organizations.

Reactions: jc17

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
But Dudley wouldn’t have to interact with the Pegulas. Put him in charge of scouting. Adams is the point person to talk to the Pegulas.

Literally what got Botts fired when he tried to implement that kind of system.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
Terry Pegula cited Botterill trying to deny him access to the scouting dept as one of the reasons for firing him.
Terry Pegula: We believe in a flat organization where we can all talk to each other and communicate, not only the head coach, the GM and the owners, but strength and conditioning, the players, everybody.
Adams: Without getting overly specific, philosophically I really believe in flat organizations.
I stand corrected.:D

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
If they could put up with Murray for multiple years I'm sure Dudley is fine.

He did specify that he thinks they did more, with less expenditures. That might make the pegulas ears perk up. Hopefully now that video scouting has the Dudley seal of approval, people will stop acting like its the worst thing ever.

Last edited:

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
does anyone think Terry realized the scouting was sub-par and wanted to challenge them on it, and Botterill balked?

Reactions: Eichel9

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
does anyone think Terry realized the scouting was sub-par and wanted to challenge them on it, and Botterill balked?
I don't think it was something as specific as "the scouting" or "the cap" or anything like that. By the end of his tenure, Botterill was tending a garden of people who wanted his ass gone. Key hockey ops personnel were getting left out of the decision making process, and players were pissed about playing time and general roster management.

Then, when the season postmortems kept kicking blame up to ownership despite their support of the toxic GM, the Pegulas probably doubled back to re-consult some of those critical voices. Especially when the costs of this season became more apparent, with things like the cap overage, guaranteed contract $$$, Pilut leaving, plus Botts' possible resistance to cost-cutting measures.

Reactions: brian_griffin

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
When it all went down someone did report that the pegulas inquired on scouting schedules and were unhappy with the volume of work. They obviously wouldn't know what's an appropriate volume, so it could have been someone in the inside saying they weren't worth keeping

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
When it all went down someone did report that the pegulas inquired on scouting schedules and were unhappy with the volume of work. They obviously wouldn't know what's an appropriate volume, so it could have been someone in the inside saying they weren't worth keeping
I'm going to say Kevin Devine. He survives mass exodus over mass exodus.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Devine has been here since the cup run, Darcys 2nd season. Our drafting has been subpar for decades now. Why is he still here? I would love a huge fresh start.

Reactions: Gabrielor

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Devine has been here since the cup run, Darcys 2nd season. Our drafting has been subpar for decades now. Why is he still here? I would love a huge fresh start.

When the purge was announced, he was the first name I thought of who'd seen too many bad draft/develop phases.

Honestly shocked he survived.

Reactions: itwasaforwardpass

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I’m hoping beyond hope that it will be a similar situation as the Whaley if we’re mirroring Sabres to Bills. Let him control the draft since he has overseen many in the past since you completely gutted everything. Then let him go once Adams can have the time to find his guy for drafting.

Reactions: PegulasSportsEmpire

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
When the purge was announced, he was the first name I thought of who'd seen too many bad draft/develop phases.

Honestly shocked he survived.
To me, it feels like Devine has stuck around because he’s almost purely been an administrative guy since Murray. He might have piled on when the outcome was obvious, but I don’t think he was the PSE source who was bitching about the Cap overage that really set things in motion.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Devine's drafting record as director of amateur scouting was also pretty average. Not great, but not as bad as he's typically blamed for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad