Kevyn Adams - New GM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
It's weird to me that people thought there was any chance he would come to Buffalo in the first place.

He's very good at what he does, he lives locally, he loves both the area and the Sabres, and he doesn't want to travel as much anymore.

A cushy consulting gig with the Sabres front office sounded like a match made in heaven, why is that weird?

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
This team is never making the playoffs as long as the Pegulas are our owners. They are too stupid and incompetent to even luck into success.

Reactions: sufferer

CrazyPsycho

Elite Drafter
Sep 25, 2003
He's very good at what he does, he lives locally, he loves both the area and the Sabres, and he doesn't want to travel as much anymore.

A cushy consulting gig with the Sabres front office sounded like a match made in heaven, why is that weird?

Because Dudley knows how poorly run the Sabres are, why would he want that headache?

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
Why ever get your hopes up with this franchise.

So I’ll just assume no Futa, no Brackett, pick Sanderson or Holtz at #8, keep Hutton in net, bottom 10 finish, rinse and repeat.:help::thumbd:

PegulasSportsEmpire

Mar 24, 2007
BUFFALO
Basically my only hope is either

A. They luck into success by Dylan Cozens, Tage Thompson and Casey Mittlestadt having breakout seasons.

Or B. The Pegulas keep losing money and eventually sells the team.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Why ever get your hopes up with this franchise.

So I’ll just assume no Futa, no Brackett, pick Sanderson or Holtz at #8, keep Hutton in net, bottom 10 finish, rinse and repeat.:help::thumbd:

it's best just to comment on moves that are confirmed to be done and then comment on those moves as they happen.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
Given Wawrow's hit rate, why would you let anything he says dictate your happiness? Even when he's right it's cuz he backed into it for the dumbest reasons.

Jake Bielecki

Jul 5, 2020
Why do I have a feeling that one of the Pegula's is actually going to be the decision maker on all hockey matters moving forward. And honestly, it scares the daylights out of me!

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Given Wawrow's hit rate, why would you let anything he says dictate your happiness? Even when he's right it's cuz he backed into it for the dumbest reasons.
But first Vogl spoke about this, all the more I won’t be surprised if it’s true, because Pegula's are so ignorant.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
We are talking hockey and a team they have owned for a decade and are in the conversation for worst NHL owners of the modern era. Stumbling into success in gridball is far easier than hockey.

the majority of teams make the playoffs and we have two standout stud players on the team. Lucking into success is a possibility

Reactions: PegulasSportsEmpire

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
Because Dudley knows how poorly run the Sabres are, why would he want that headache?

If you believe Wawrow when he says that Dudley is out, perhaps you'd believe him in that Dudley was actually interested:

Given that we have like two actual Sabres reporters (Vogl & Lysowski) and one retweeted it, I'd say it's a believable rumor. Perhaps not, it's possible that it's just old boys club supporting each other, but I haven't see John running around spreading false rumors lately.

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
I don't understand the Dudley obsession with people. The guy is too old and hops around too much. This team needs stability for the next 5 years at least, not some guy to maybe last one season. Wouldn't mind using him as a consultant for this draft, but I'm not sure if any NHL team will put him on their staff.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I don't understand the Dudley obsession with people. The guy is too old and hops around too much. This team needs stability for the next 5 years at least, not some guy to maybe last one season. Wouldn't mind using him as a consultant for this draft, but I'm not sure if any NHL team will put him on their staff.
They are trying to build what Dudley did in Carolina, he is also an excellent talent evaluator, he has 40 years of experience, and we have a newcomer GM who needs to seriously correct roster so that Jack does not require trading and select players for the draft.

Indeed, why do we need this guy with his experience and intelligence. :sarcasm:

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
They are trying to build what Dudley did in Carolina, he is also an excellent talent evaluator, he has 40 years of experience, and we have a newcomer GM who needs to seriously correct roster so that Jack does not require trading and select players for the draft.

Indeed, why do we need this guy with his experience and intelligence. :sarcasm:

You act like Carolina "built" something. Buffalo was doing the hybrid scouting under Darcy. It is not something new, and certainly not rocket science.

Sorry, I just don't trust a guy that has been with this many teams, especially when the guy is now in his 70s. The last thing we need is friction.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
You act like Carolina "built" something. Buffalo was doing the hybrid scouting under Darcy. It is not something new, and certainly not rocket science.

Sorry, I just don't trust a guy that has been with this many teams, especially when the guy is now in his 70s. The last thing we need is friction.
Carolina both went to the playoffs just when Dudley was there, and Buffalo is still not there. The point is not only in video intelligence, there is a hybrid system, we just have an inexperienced GM once again and crazy owners, a guy like Dudley would be very useful, because he changed teams so many times it doesn’t mean that it didn’t work, it was like I understand for completely different reasons. Ok, even if not Dudley, they need to find experienced people, and not go in arguably the most crucial season with Adams alone.

Archie Lee

Apr 13, 2018
Carolina both went to the playoffs just when Dudley was there, and Buffalo is still not there. The point is not only in video intelligence, there is a hybrid system, we just have an inexperienced GM once again and crazy owners, a guy like Dudley would be very useful, because he changed teams so many times it doesn’t mean that it didn’t work, it was like I understand for completely different reasons. Ok, even if not Dudley, they need to find experienced people, and not go in arguably the most crucial season with Adams alone.

I don't mean this to be anti-Dudley as I would have been fine had the Sabres added him to their staff. I also don't mean to suggest that all is good in the Sabre scouting world. But, the straw that stirs the drink in Carolina is Rod Brind'Amour. Good teams have someone in a leadership role who demands excellence in a manner that translates up and down through the structure. The Sabres have not had such a leader in their organization for many years. It can be the owner, the GM, the head coach or a player. Krueger might be the guy. Eichel or Dahlen might yet grow into the role. Maybe it's Adams. It isn't the Pegulas and it certainly wasn't Botterill or Murray or Housley. Until the Sabres find that guy, they will continue to struggle.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I don't mean this to be anti-Dudley as I would have been fine had the Sabres added him to their staff. I also don't mean to suggest that all is good in the Sabre scouting world. But, the straw that stirs the drink in Carolina is Rod Brind'Amour. Good teams have someone in a leadership role who demands excellence in a manner that translates up and down through the structure. The Sabres have not had such a leader in their organization for many years. It can be the owner, the GM, the head coach or a player. Krueger might be the guy. Eichel or Dahlen might yet grow into the role. Maybe it's Adams. It isn't the Pegulas and it certainly wasn't Botterill or Murray or Housley. Until the Sabres find that guy, they will continue to struggle.
I do not detract from the merits of Brind'Amour , but I am convinced that we need experienced guys in the organization. We already had two inexperienced GMs and both of them failed, now we have the third inexperienced GM, and he does not even have experience in this position even at the AHL level. I hope Adams succeeds, but he needs help.

Reactions: brian_griffin

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse

Not to be argumentative, but all teams do essentially all the same things. The challenge is to enough of those things (a critical mass of them) better than the remaining teams. From what little I know of Dudley going back to when he was a player, he's always set his own plan / path and has never been one to become beholden to a clique, regime, or benefactors. Somewhat of a mercenary, if you will. So 50 years of short tenure stints doesn't bother me. If he was crap, he wouldn't have been sought by others.

As for age, it too is a concern for me, but if and only if his interests and ambitions turn away from hockey and to family and other pursuits. Put another way, if Terry Pegula will have as much hands-on with the Sabres as we are led to believe his had, has, and will have, then I think Dudley would be about as a truly knowledgeable contemporary as Terry could have. Ralph Wilson and Marv Levy got on famously, in no small part because they weren't that far apart in age.

Agree re: Brind'Amour's influence and impact on and off the ice, and the need for that in Buffalo. That doesn't, however, diminish Dudley's impact, whatever that may have been.

Personally, I've always felt if Dudley wanted to work in Buffalo (again, as part of this regime), we'd have heard about it.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Dudley might have been nice but we dont have to canonize everyone who may come to Buffalo. People did it with Babcock, and even botterill before he got here, along with other prospective GMs. Now its Dudley and that Vancouver scout.

I guess its fun to think there's someone out there who will be savior of the franchise and all we have to do is hire them and let them make perfect decision after perfect decision, but we know thats not how it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad