Player Discussion Kevin Shattenkirk

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
He’s playing in the complete wrong role on a team that can’t score and can’t shelter him. He needs to be playing further down the lineup to be effective.

And yeah this is basically his retirement contract, he got his second chance, won a cup and has security now. So who knows how motivated he is.

Lindholm-Manson
Fowler-Hank
Larsson-Shittenkirk

If we're actually trying to compete, I don't hate it. I'm most disappointed that it's very very clear he does not help the PP, hell he's not even on the first unit.

Reactions: UnfinishedBusiness

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Perhaps the PP issue is the coaching?
I have been questioning this for a while. The assistant coaches are very unproven without any great track record. But assistant coaches plays a huge role in the special teams, remember Paul MacLean. Him and Yawney why we parted, I am not sure.

Reactions: Tiny Biggs

Magnus the Duck

Nov 7, 2014
Sweden
Perhaps the PP issue is the coaching?
I have been questioning this for a while. The assistant coaches are very unproven without any great track record. But assistant coaches plays a huge role in the special teams, remember Paul MacLean. Him and Yawney why we parted, I am not sure.
Coaching is the biggest part of the issue as the power play is not only one player. Shattenkirk has been fairly bad though, sloppy passes, most shots straight into blocking player, etc. He was brought in to have an impact on the power play and it has been negative so far.

Reactions: DuckRogers10

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Really disappointed with him and I was one of the ones who really supported him and was very happy he signed here and defended the negativity.

DigiDuck

More covfefe please.
Jan 11, 2019
Burbank
He's not good unless he's sheltered on a talented team. Can't defend, and what little he does do in the offensive zone is washed away because there's no talent or support.

Bob finally got his Justin Schultz replacement

OCSportsfan

Sep 30, 2011
Was not a fan of bringing him in, but he is performing about how I thought he would. I just did not think he was needed since we were not going to be competing this year.

Reactions: ShadowDuck

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Agreed he’s he wrong role, but the dump into the corner with no follow up, inability to hold the blue line, and inability to get a shot through to the net are the things he should be good at, and he’s failing pretty hard.

this. I’d cut the guy a lot more slack if i felt like he was giving more effort out there.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Another amazing UFA signing by BM, and he's signed for another 2 years to boot :laugh:. One of the most useless defencemen I've seen in the last few years for Anaheim, couldn't name one thing he does well.

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
For a guy that played 1,000+ games and scored 500+ points as a defenseman over 15 years in the NHL, Murray sure doesn't know how to sign free agent defensemen.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Coaching is the biggest part of the issue as the power play is not only one player. Shattenkirk has been fairly bad though, sloppy passes, most shots straight into blocking player, etc. He was brought in to have an impact on the power play and it has been negative so far.

Lightning fan coming in and these were the same issues he had last year as well, he is NOT a PP QB, his decision making on the blueline is very poor.

His only asset is if he can get a clean shot off, other than that he's soft as butter defensively and will make a terrible turnover on occasion, honestly might as well play him as a forward.

Reactions: Paul4587

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
A softer Bieska useless
Why the F did Murray trade (basically) Gudbranson who was excellent and the only physical dman for washed up bum
Did not liked getting rid of Gudbranson when it happened and sure makes even less sense now. On the bright side Hakanpaa emerged. Oh well

Reactions: SmokeyDuck

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
Hey guys, Sharks fan coming in peace!

Regardless of how Shatty is playing, thought you may find this interesting. Shatty and i went to high school together, and our school just posted this old photo of him the one year he played (before leaving for the development program).

Pretty easy to spot him, just add hair to what he looks like now.

He put up 28 points in 22 games as a 15 year old defenseman, and was playing against future NHLers like Quick and Pacioretty that year.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-02-03 at 4.02.07 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-02-03 at 4.02.07 PM.jpg
    854.4 KB · Views: 7

Bluesguru

Aug 10, 2014
St. Louis
Shattenkirk was an idiot to not take Tampa’s 3 year offer. I take Ducks offered more, but still, he was a perfect fit there. I watched him a lot in Tampa and he was down right solid. He fits in very well with an open ice fast team like Tampa. But some of these guys ego is a little to bit big. So he traded in fun and success for some extra cash. That’s on him.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Shatty has been terrible, but also he's been thrusted onto the top pairing. That's on Eakins. In Tampa, he wasn't a top pairing guy. After the first two games of the season looking great, Shatty has no looked a bit worn down.

The idea of getting Shatty after producing on Tampa last year is a good gamble. Today, we're complaining about lack of scoring, but Murray did try to address that with the acquisition of Shatty at ES and on the PP. It hasn't panned out the way Murray thought it would to a team deprived of scoring. I can't blame Murray for trying to improve the offense for the Ducks as Shatty did improve his play with the Bolts.

Now, is it Murray's fault that Shatty is playing Sh*tty? Many of us on here think he's playing too much on the ice, as identified with the screenshot by @Ducks in a row by almost 3:40 ATOI. Maybe Shatty's deployment on ice is regulated by the HC, not the GM. I'm thinking it's the head coach's call on who's in the lineup and where in the lineup.

I'm liking Hutton so far. Hutton's ATOI is 19:19, which includes PK time. I think Eakins needs to promote Hutton to the top pair with Lindholm and demote Shatty to third line with Larsson ASAP. It really couldn't hurt the Ducks anymore than it already has.

Reactions: JabbaJabba and Kalv

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
I don’t follow the ducks closely but what the hell is your coach doing here? Averaging 22 mins/game but half his games he has played less than 90 seconds on the PP? From the outside looking in his utilization seems ass backwards.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don’t follow the ducks closely but what the hell is your coach doing here? Averaging 22 mins/game but half his games he has played less than 90 seconds on the PP? From the outside looking in his utilization seems ass backwards.

Pretty much. It’s not all on him. He is not being utilized correctly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad