Player Discussion Kevin Shattenkirk

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
I don’t follow the ducks closely but what the hell is your coach doing here? Averaging 22 mins/game but half his games he has played less than 90 seconds on the PP? From the outside looking in his utilization seems ass backwards.
Its also not like we get a lot of Power plays.

Pretty much. It’s not all on him. He is not being utilized correctly.

Reactions: Leonardo87

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I would reduce both his ES and PP time. He hasn’t been anything more than a second unit PP guy since his St Louis days and he can’t handle top matchups at ES. I said when we signed him don’t expect much of an upgrade on the PP in what we already have in Cam and Hampus.

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits. Fire Newell Brown
Nov 26, 2017
He is so bad. I loathe him to the point where I'm already considering the ramifications of him being bought out. At the very least, I'm rooting for the organization to sit him for several games and give Mahura another look (I'm well-aware that they won't).

The most concerning development about tonight's game is that when they were down by a goal in the 3rd, the newly aggressive version of Hampus all but disappeared and he was consistently deferring to him in the offensive zone almost as a hail mary and basically leaving him to create something. And if that's the case, for the long-term benefit of the organization, I legitimately want him in the press box to allow Hampus the freedom/confidence to activate and engage.

Last edited:

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
I hope this guy has some pride and professionalism
Because it looks like he is mailing it in

not fair maybe given the weird year we are in, but a veteran should be prepared and not be making stupid mistakes all the time

Reactions: TheGoodShepard1

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I’m done with him. So disappointing. I’m now reminded once again why the Rangers are paying him 6 million dollars to play somewhere else.

Reactions: UnfinishedBusiness

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
The most disappointing thing is his lack of offense. Everyone who has followed this dudes career knows he’s a mistake prone turnover machine. But he used to make up for it with 45-50 points

He’s just washed and the fact that he’s under contract for 2 more years is a stinger. Nothing to do about it other than reduce his ice time or sit him

Last edited:

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
The most disappointing thing is his lack of offense. Everyone who has followed this dudes career knows he’s a mistake prone turnover machine. But he used to make up for it with 45-50 points

He’s just washed and the fact that he’s under contract for 2 more years is a stinger. Nothing to do about it other than reduce his ice time or sit him

If they reduce his ice time to a bottom pairing will immediately see a difference and he will play better. He cannot be going against top lines. Not sure why they keep giving him so many mins.

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits. Fire Newell Brown
Nov 26, 2017

I could be vastly overstating this angle, but his contract is also a killer for expansion draft purposes and why I was so against giving him a 3rd year. Even if he was as abysmal as he's been this year, at least if he only had one season left on his contract after this year, you could swallow a smaller spare part going the other way for Seattle to take his expiring*, a la Clayton Stoner except without any Bieksa-esque NMC that we are required to protect that kills leverage. The two years vastly overcomplicates things and though they're going to leave him unprotected, my guess is that Seattle will take one of our younger defensemen like Larsson or Mahura instead.

*Keep in mind that I desperately want Seattle to take Rico and his contract but that seems like a pipe dream at this point and I don't want to derail this thread with something completely unrelated to the subject matter.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
He should at least get bumped down to third pairing when Manson returns.

Lindholm - Manson
Fowler - Hawk
Larsson/Hutton - Shatt

This. In a perfect world they can trade Manson at the deadline or after the expansion, Shatt gets drafted at the expansion draft, and resign Hawk after the expansion
Put Manson with Lindholm until then and hope his play returns to form until he is moved.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I hope this guy has some pride and professionalism
Because it looks like he is mailing it in

not fair maybe given the weird year we are in, but a veteran should be prepared and not be making stupid mistakes all the time

If they reduce his ice time to a bottom pairing will immediately see a difference and he will play better. He cannot be going against top lines. Not sure why they keep giving him so many mins.

What if Shattenkirk does possess a lot of pride that he cannot admit he cannot play as a top-pairing defenseman? Shatty hasn't played these many minutes in six years and last year he played well because he was sheltered on lower lines with far fewer minutes. In Tampa last year, Shatty played 18:54 ATOI. This year with Anaheim, Shatty plays 22:59 ATOI at top pairing competition levels.

Shatty might be a good soldier, but it's Eakins who made him into top pairing defenseman when many of us thought Shatty might be paired with Fowler on the second pair. And Eakins continues to put Shatty out there.

Shatty is lacking control of the puck and carelessly turning it over. Usually, that's a sign of fatigue. If Eakins can displace Rico from center to wing, then why hasn't he made the move to demote Shatty to the third line and promote Hutton to the top pair with Lindholm? We essentially have Shatty for far cheaper on our roster in RHD Welinski. I really don't see a difference at this moment, tbh. If we do give Shatty fewer minutes against weaker competition and he improves, then okay. But that's something we haven't tried yet.

Lord Flashheart

Squadron Commander
Jul 21, 2011
Leipzig/Zg
It was always a stretch he would be capable at being anything more than a 3rd pairing. Playing him in any other capacity will, usually, not yield satisfying results.

Reactions: Bender66

JohnnyDrama

Oct 4, 2017
He’s been bad but there’s nothing stopping Eakins from trying Hakanpaa, Larsson, Hutton, or Curran with Lindholm instead but he absolutely refuses to do anything other than give Shattenkirk a bullshit amount of minutes.
I feel like that’ll be coming pretty soon now

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad