Player Discussion Kevin Shattenkirk

TopShelfWaterBottle

Registered
Mar 16, 2014
The main reason we missed the playoffs the past two years and we’re, truthfully, garbage when we got the broom by the Sharks was our teams health. If we iced a complete roster we more then likely would’ve been a bubble team atleast.

Cmac66

Apr 18, 2017
Tampa fan here... you guys are going to love shatty. You Got him to a good deal and is a solid addition to your squad. One thing I will say is he is a leader, he will be a great locker room presence. Have attached a few tweets of what he could bring to the team.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Why would a GM NOT say that the goal is to make the playoffs? Everyone knows the Sens and Wings will be trash, but if their GMs are asked about making the playoffs, they will surely say that’s their goal.
This.
But we know that BM really wants to compete, he is just not making dumb moves like trading picks etc. He is trying to be as competitive as possible with the chips he has and well those chips are not great, but are getting better.
I have zero problem with that. I don't think going out and trying to lose like LA, Oilers or Sabres is a good idea. I am not sure changing Gudy to Shatty is a good move but I see a reason behind it. In a bigger picture, like I said, I have zero problem with GMBM approach. f*** losing culture, let LA have it. We have quite good pieces to build around

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
This.
But we know that BM really wants to compete, he is just not making dumb moves like trading picks etc. He is trying to be as competitive as possible with the chips he has and well those chips are not great, but are getting better.
I have zero problem with that. I don't think going out and trying to lose like LA, Oilers or Sabres is a good idea. I am not sure changing Gudy to Shatty is a good move but I see a reason behind it. In a bigger picture, like I said, I have zero problem with GMBM approach. f*** losing culture, let LA have it. We have quite good pieces to build around
Agreed. If he starts making moves that sacrifice the future to win now, then I’ll have a problem with it. But, at this point, it’s clear he just doesn’t want a losing culture.

Reactions: Kalv and Vipers31

Boo Boo

Jan 31, 2013
This.

I think the fact that Murray gave 3 seasons is an important piece here. Shattenkirk is not going to be the piece to drag this roster from 6 overall pick to playoffs, and he knows it. But, over the term of the contract, and especially the final year we should have a team that could come close and possibly sneak in.

Reactions: Kalv

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
This.

You look at the Ducks issues last year. It was scoring and the PP, Defense was actually fine when healthy. They added depth to the D and upgraded the Top 4 D, and also got someone who can help on the PP, which is really needed. This will be an opportunity for Shatty to help the PP, where he didn't have much opportunity on the PP the last couple of years.

I would feel more confident in a playoff chance, if they added another Top 6 guy, who can score 20-25 goals.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
You look at the Ducks issues last year. It was scoring and the PP, Defense was actually fine when healthy. They added depth to the D and upgraded the Top 4 D, and also got someone who can help on the PP, which is really needed. This will be an opportunity for Shatty to help the PP, where he didn't have much opportunity on the PP the last couple of years.

I would feel more confident in a playoff chance, if they added another Top 6 guy, who can score 20-25 goals.
Yeah, I have said it and still believe - Ducks defense is above league average for sure. I really liked Gudy and seeing him go is sad, but as I said - I see a reasoning behind it, which is pretty much what you pointed out. We really have a good depth there on the D, which might end up losing 1 or 2 of those guys in wavers, at the worst case. But whatever, we should be able to keep the best pieces.

Agreed regarding a scorer. The UFA period is not over and there should be some players going around between now and start of the season, so we might see something there. I also expect Steel and Terry to improve their goalscoring this year. They were playing a lot of minutes but really did not score that much. I think they were getting close.

Reactions: Leonardo87

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Yeah, I have said it and still believe - Ducks defense is above league average for sure. I really liked Gudy and seeing him go is sad, but as I said - I see a reasoning behind it, which is pretty much what you pointed out. We really have a good depth there on the D, which might end up losing 1 or 2 of those guys in wavers, at the worst case. But whatever, we should be able to keep the best pieces.

Agreed regarding a scorer. The UFA period is not over and there should be some players going around between now and start of the season, so we might see something there. I also expect Steel and Terry to improve their goalscoring this year. They were playing a lot of minutes but really did not score that much. I think they were getting close.

Looking back at last season we lost a lot of 1 goal games, a lot of 2-1 losses. If there is more scoring, get at least a point maybe 2 out of these games.

Hopefully like you said Steel and Terry take the next step. But still like to get outside help which will make us a little more competitive now and will help the young guys grow and learn to contribute more offense better, imo.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Looking back at last season we lost a lot of 1 goal games, a lot of 2-1 losses. If there is more scoring, get at least a point maybe 2 out of these games.

Hopefully like you said Steel and Terry take the next step. But still like to get outside help which will make us a little more competitive now and will help the young guys grow and learn to contribute more offense better, imo.
Yup. Also I believe that having a better offense (able to score and just sustain more pressure in the offensive zone in general), will lead to fewer scoring chances against.
I doubt that Bob is done, but that being said, I wouldn't expect anything groundbreaking. We have quite a few untested pieces that we will have to give a longer look, like Heinen, Milano

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
So weird because he was solid the first game. Gotten worse with each passing game. He coasts around like he doesn’t care.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
I now see why he wasn't tried with Fowler. Lindholm has been elite.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Retirement contract for him. Wanted to recoup the buyout money and he gets to do it on a lifeless team that happens to be near the beach.
Good work by him

Reactions: Sam Steel
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
So weird because he was solid the first game. Gotten worse with each passing game. He coasts around like he doesn’t care.

I think he's mostly been fine up until tonight, and even thats a touch overblown. Probably not the right role for him and I hope Manson goes back with Lindholm once he's healthy. Either way he's mostly a pretty cheap body for this year and probably Seattle bound, the last part seems more obvious now than ever.

Reactions: Tiny Biggs

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
Retirement contract for him. Wanted to recoup the buyout money and he gets to do it on a lifeless team that happens to be near the beach.
Good work by him

Yup, smart man. Get your cash and don't even bother making it look like you're trying.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
He’s playing in the complete wrong role on a team that can’t score and can’t shelter him. He needs to be playing further down the lineup to be effective.

And yeah this is basically his retirement contract, he got his second chance, won a cup and has security now. So who knows how motivated he is.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
He’s playing in the complete wrong role on a team that can’t score and can’t shelter him. He needs to be playing further down the lineup to be effective.

And yeah this is basically his retirement contract, he got his second chance, won a cup and has security now. So who knows how motivated he is.
Agreed he’s he wrong role, but the dump into the corner with no follow up, inability to hold the blue line, and inability to get a shot through to the net are the things he should be good at, and he’s failing pretty hard.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad