Mar 31, 2016
Florida
iu

Reactions: Vasilevskiy

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
So many names being dropped in this thread but nobody mentions MAB. I’m disappointed.

In reality, he’s much closer to Dan Boyle than all of these other guys, which is exactly why we’ve been after him for a few years

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
for a guy who is bad defensively he sure has had a positive impact a lot of times.

The problem with you people is that you don’t show any proof for anything and I’m just supposed to believe in your magical eye test. And I highly doubt you’ve watched Shattenkirk play enough to know anything about his defensive ability.
marry me

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
Given his play up until this point, we should resign him. Sadly, we probably won't be able to afford it. He's been good for us. Like a 4th forward at times. Sure he's a bit weak and makes mistakes but he's also not a tire fire like people were making him out to be. Not any worse than what we've had in the past and he's going to be productive offensively unlike other recent options.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Shatty has been meh defensively and he's good for almost one stupid play or giveaway per game, but offensively he has been downright awesome. What a great fit with his good vision, mobility and crisp passing and shooting. He has easily surpassed expectations IMO.
  • is 2nd in team scoring (tied with Kuch, behind only Stammer)
  • almost PPG as a defenseman (13 in 15)
  • averages almost 3 SOG per game
  • is 1st in +/- on the team (tied with Serg)
  • is 3rd in TOI/GP on the team averaging 20:09 (behind only McD and Heds)
Re-signing him seems impossible though. Serg, Cirelli, Cernak all need new contracts next year.

Bluesguru

Aug 10, 2014
St. Louis
Shatty has been meh defensively and he's good for almost one stupid play or giveaway per game, but offensively he has been downright awesome. What a great fit with his good vision, mobility and crisp passing and shooting. He has easily surpassed expectations IMO.
  • is 2nd in team scoring (tied with Kuch, behind only Stammer)
  • almost PPG as a defenseman (13 in 15)
  • averages almost 3 SOG per game
  • is 1st in +/- on the team (tied with Serg)
  • is 3rd in TOI/GP on the team averaging 20:09 (behind only McD and Heds)
Re-signing him seems impossible though. Serg, Cirelli, Cernak all need new contracts next year.

that’s what I mean. Shatty should be content to just resign with Tampa for whatever. If he goes for the money, sure, he’ll make more, but he probably won’t be as successful or have as much fun playing as he does with Tampa. It’s his call but he had his call last time as free agent and since leaving Blues, it hasn’t been fun for him until now. He should stay.

Reactions: NatoGhost

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
His offensive acumen makes up for his other deficiencies IMO. He can shoot, pass & skate but KS' decision making at the blueline is what impresses me the most.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
that’s what I mean. Shatty should be content to just resign with Tampa for whatever. If he goes for the money, sure, he’ll make more, but he probably won’t be as successful or have as much fun playing as he does with Tampa. It’s his call but he had his call last time as free agent and since leaving Blues, it hasn’t been fun for him until now. He should stay.
Yeah I'll take money kthx.

Reactions: Bluesguru

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
His offensive acumen makes up for his other deficiencies IMO. He can shoot, pass & skate but KS' decision making at the blueline is what impresses me the most.
I do wonder why he didn't fit in with Washington. He seems tailor-made to feed Ovi.

VinikToWinIt

Number 1 Bull****
Jun 15, 2014
South Florida
I mean... I'm game if he is.

VinikToWinIt

Number 1 Bull****
Jun 15, 2014
South Florida
I do wonder why he didn't fit in with Washington. He seems tailor-made to feed Ovi.
I remember watching one of their playoff games that year and he was an absolute abomination. Just couldn't get out of his own way.

I'm not sure what was going on, but I guess I'll just chalk it up to small sample size. After all, he was only there for 19 games - 4 more than he's already played for us.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
View attachment 276307

KeViN sHaTtEnKiRk sUcKs dEfEnSiVeLy
Nice stats. Of course they look good, he's almost always part of our transition and in consequence a huge part of our scoring (tied 2nd in points on the team). That doesn't mean he isn't prone for bad turnovers and giveaways at times. Which he is. He just creates more offense successfully which compensates for when he fails at it. Just like his offense, his defensive lapses are super "flashy" leading to comments like the one you're "quoting".

Reactions: RussianGuyovich

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012

My only realistic guess is probably health issues started to hamper him, honestly I don't know. You instantly become a liability once you've lost a step tho, even if it's temporarily in Shattenkirk or Palat's case.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
I think for some players its hard to make a midseason team change.

And this is the danger of picking someone up at the TDL
Defensemen tend to struggle to adjust to a new system. Much more than forwards. Forwards are just way easier to throw into a lineup and not mess anything up. See: McDonagh.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
My only realistic guess is probably health issues started to hamper him, honestly I don't know. You instantly become a liability once you've lost a step tho, even if it's temporarily in Shattenkirk or Palat's case.
They had a lot of very similar defensemen and at the end of the day (or shift) someone has to be a puck mover and someone has to play some defense, and I think they pushed him to do the latter which isn't really his thing.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Nice stats. Of course they look good, he's almost always part of our transition and in consequence a huge part of our scoring (tied 2nd in points on the team). That doesn't mean he isn't prone for bad turnovers and giveaways at times. Which he is. He just creates more offense successfully which compensates for when he fails at it. Just like his offense, his defensive lapses are super "flashy" leading to comments like the one you're "quoting".

Imagine looking at a chart and saying with a straight face Shattenkirk is someone who's good at defending in his own zone. Just watch him play a shift in his own end against a top line, he has no ability to contain anyone, no physical presence and beat on nearly every battle. I will say he has a pretty good stick at getting in lanes and deflecting out of danger but you kind of need that when all you do is play passive defense. Offensively, he's great and probably better than advertised but I can easily see why St.louis and other teams just moved on from the guy, there's just not a need for a purely offensive guy who plays big minutes, can't defend and then asks for a large price tag. If you have a Hedman, McDonagh, Cernak etc like we do a Shattenkirk fits as a 4th/5th - imagine if you didn't have that depth and your #1 was injured forcing this guy to log the heavy minutes.

For his price, we're getting extremely good value despite defensive deficiencies but with Sergachev developing and Hedman already a top producer on the blueline we don't need him in the future, we'd benefit more from a more defensively responsible player who'll be cheaper.

Reactions: RussianGuyovich

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad