Player Discussion: Kevin Shattenkirk

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
View attachment 276307

KeViN sHaTtEnKiRk sUcKs dEfEnSiVeLy
Nice stats. Of course they look good, he's almost always part of our transition and in consequence a huge part of our scoring (tied 2nd in points on the team). That doesn't mean he isn't prone for bad turnovers and giveaways at times. Which he is. He just creates more offense successfully which compensates for when he fails at it. Just like his offense, his defensive lapses are super "flashy" leading to comments like the one you're "quoting".
Imagine looking at a chart and saying with a straight face Shattenkirk is someone who's good at defending in his own zone. Just watch him play a shift in his own end against a top line, he has no ability to contain anyone, no physical presence and beat on nearly every battle. I will say he has a pretty good stick at getting in lanes and deflecting out of danger but you kind of need that when all you do is play passive defense. Offensively, he's great and probably better than advertised but I can easily see why St.louis and other teams just moved on from the guy, there's just not a need for a purely offensive guy who plays big minutes, can't defend and then asks for a large price tag. If you have a Hedman, McDonagh, Cernak etc like we do a Shattenkirk fits as a 4th/5th - imagine if you didn't have that depth and your #1 was injured forcing this guy to log the heavy minutes.

For his price, we're getting extremely good value despite defensive deficiencies but with Sergachev developing and Hedman already a top producer on the blueline we don't need him in the future, we'd benefit more from a more defensively responsible player who'll be cheaper.
Who would have thought that with his most common linemate being Hedman, he would have good underlining stats this year? I for one didn't and definitely needed a chart to explain to me how I was wrong.

Just want to add, that imagine him playing 1:22 of PP time, and upgrading his most common line mate from Brendan Smith last year to Victor freaking Hedman would have a positive effect on his stats. Again, I could not see this coming at all. This is undeniable proof that the charts don't lie and Rutta is our apostle.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I'm not saying Foote can come in next year and be near the team lead in goals and points but the things Shattenkirk are doing well are the things Foote is best at too. Foote's best attributes are his shot and outlet passes which are the things that has made Shattenkirk work so far. Foote knows how to get it on net, it's heavy and he can pick spots. He will have some issues in the defensive zone early but he should be much better than Shattenkirk there. It will just depend on if the coaches will trust him enough or allow him to play to his strenghts from the start.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
I'm not saying Foote can come in next year and be near the team lead in goals and points but the things Shattenkirk are doing well are the things Foote is best at too. Foote's best attributes are his shot and outlet passes which are the things that has made Shattenkirk work so far. Foote knows how to get it on net, it's heavy and he can pick spots. He will have some issues in the defensive zone early but he should be much better than Shattenkirk there. It will just depend on if the coaches will trust him enough or allow him to play to his strenghts from the start.
*gum chewing intensifies*

Reactions: RussianGuyovich

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
It's not like that's crazy cold for a defenseman who gets very limited PP time. Cold, sure.

Reactions: LoSTRaMaiR

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Wouldn't bring this guy back for anymore than he's getting right now and his offense has completely dried up, depending on how he finishes the season and how he plays in the playoffs might be better not to consider bringing him back at all.

Sergachev has now caught up in points, along with Hedman and that's more firepower on the backend than most teams have.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
He is playing good but we can't give out another longterm deal to a player over 26. Gourde, McD, Palat,Johnson, and Kilhorn all our locked up and are not the main 5 of the core (stammer,kuch,point,hedman,Vas).

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Wouldn't bring this guy back for anymore than he's getting right now and his offense has completely dried up, depending on how he finishes the season and how he plays in the playoffs might be better not to consider bringing him back at all.

Sergachev has now caught up in points, along with Hedman and that's more firepower on the backend than most teams have.

well he is double dipping getting paid by the rangers maybe we will get lucky ans he will take a 2 year deal or something

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I think this gets overlooked a lot

Yeah, but it doesn't mean he's not gonna still try to maximize his earnings. This next contract might well be the last big payday of his life. 40 points will get him a good deal somewhere. Even 35. I think everybody realizes we're not even really using his best attribute, the PP. He's buried on a little used 2nd unit here. So some GM in need of a QB is going to think Shattenkirk can put up 50 points for him, and he might not even be wrong.

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven
Yeah, but it doesn't mean he's not gonna still try to maximize his earnings. This next contract might well be the last big payday of his life. 40 points will get him a good deal somewhere. Even 35. I think everybody realizes we're not even really using his best attribute, the PP. He's buried on a little used 2nd unit here. So some GM in need of a QB is going to think Shattenkirk can put up 50 points for him, and he might not even be wrong.

And I get that. Always have. Which is also why I posted a few months back that if the Lightning have plans to make him an offer this summer, and he wants north of $3.5M and East of 3 yrs then A.M.F. He can go cash in somewhere else then.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
And I get that. Always have. Which is also why I posted a few months back that if the Lightning have plans to make him an offer this summer, and he wants north of $3.5M and East of 3 yrs then A.M.F. He can go cash in somewhere else then.

Yeah. I'm not sure we can offer him even that, given what we're looking at now with Sergachev. Good problems.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018

If he wants north of what he’s making now he’s gone. We simply can’t afford him with Serg, Cirelli, and Cernak to re-sign.

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven
For the record I'm well aware of the cap implications. I just came up with a different route to make it happen. Look, I'm not married to this notion and I'm not going to lose my shit over it if it doesn't happen.

Last edited:

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Did not like the Shittin Kirk signing and will be glad to see him gone. Did not like him in St Louis and that has followed him to here. He is a defensive liability in our zone. He cointinues to think he is a forward. He started out like a house afire and now is going to have a Mehhh 40 points. He had 4 goals and 5 assts in Oct since 3g and 16a for a guy that only plays D half time. Good Riddance.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
Did not like the ****tin Kirk signing and will be glad to see him gone. Did not like him in St Louis and that has followed him to here. He is a defensive liability in our zone. He cointinues to think he is a forward. He started out like a house afire and now is going to have a Mehhh 40 points. He had 4 goals and 5 assts in Oct since 3g and 16a for a guy that only plays D half time. Good Riddance.
Imagine thinking 40 points from a defender is a mehhhh season. Yikes.

Reactions: LoSTRaMaiR

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Imagine thinking 40 points from a defender is a mehhhh season. Yikes.
For a top 4 guy playing with forwards like this team has?????? 40 points is poor for a offensive defenseman which is what he has been considered his whole career. Now is he was like McDonough or Sergi who focus more as stay at home guys then 40 would be good for them. But Shattinkirk has always been one that pushes the O like Heddy but has never been as successful he played 1st pair in St Louis for a long while topping out in mid 40's. Yes I have big expectations and do not expect him to be a Heddy but on this team the puck moving forward on the 2nd pair should be a 50 point plus defenseman. He has just 18 fewer shots than Heddy this year his TOI is 4 minutes less than Heddy he has only 6 PPP Heddy has 19 again on a team loaded with scoring. This team is 2nd in the league in goals scored 201 and 4th in gpg 3.53. Again Heddy is pacing at 70 points and Shat is pacing 40 a good 15 points where he should be on this team.

Boltswin

Apr 29, 2011
Tampa
For a top 4 guy playing with forwards like this team has?????? 40 points is poor for a offensive defenseman which is what he has been considered his whole career. Now is he was like McDonough or Sergi who focus more as stay at home guys then 40 would be good for them. But Shattinkirk has always been one that pushes the O like Heddy but has never been as successful he played 1st pair in St Louis for a long while topping out in mid 40's. Yes I have big expectations and do not expect him to be a Heddy but on this team the puck moving forward on the 2nd pair should be a 50 point plus defenseman. He has just 18 fewer shots than Heddy this year his TOI is 4 minutes less than Heddy he has only 6 PPP Heddy has 19 again on a team loaded with scoring. This team is 2nd in the league in goals scored 201 and 4th in gpg 3.53. Again Heddy is pacing at 70 points and Shat is pacing 40 a good 15 points where he should be on this team.
How many points did you expect him to get when he was signed here?

edit: to clarify, not asking you what he should be scoring now that you have seen him play for us. When he was signed. If you say more than 40 points, I won’t believe you (sorry, not that you would or should care whether I believe you)

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
How many points did you expect him to get when he was signed here?
On the second pair I would expect that guy to have 50 to 55 on this team. I expected Shat to have 35 to 40 about where he is going to be. But as I said I was not a supporter of him being here in the first place so I had low expectations of what he would do and he is right where I thought he would end up. Now in Oct when he got off to a hot start I thought I could have been wrong but like clockwork he settled back I have not looked at it but removing his stats from Oct I doubt he has paced at 30 points since.

Boltswin

Apr 29, 2011
Tampa
On the second pair I would expect that guy to have 50 to 55 on this team. I expected Shat to have 35 to 40 about where he is going to be. But as I said I was not a supporter of him being here in the first place so I had low expectations of what he would do and he is right where I thought he would end up. Now in Oct when he got off to a hot start I thought I could have been wrong but like clockwork he settled back I have not looked at it but removing his stats from Oct I doubt he has paced at 30 points since.
Sorry about the way this is phrased. The reason I said I would not believe you is that I do not understand how you can expect 40+ points from a d man you have no respect for. That is respectable for a forward. If you think he’s capable of so much more I don’t think you’d keep trashing him. Is he playing better than he should be or worse? You see to think he is both capable and incapable of more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad