Player Discussion: Kevin Shattenkirk

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
This discussion gives me a headache. Might as well try to trade for Bogosian again.

We're two games away playing insanely good defense. And we want to bring in Kevin f***ing Shattenkirk.

That’s a red herring man, apparently we didn’t play good defense last year. You should take care of that headache though

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Where we're going after this season.... we don't need Shattenkirk. We're over the cap next year as it is already with Point, Cernak, Cirelli and Sergachev are all on bridge deals.

That is cool, just remember this conversation when JBB does what we do every year and makes moves in spite of the cap

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
I definitely think there's a correlation between us seeing what a player like Shatty did for our team, and then drafting 2 dmen with size/skillsets outside of what we normally take in Eamon Powell and Jack Thompson.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Why target Shattenkirk when we could target Manson? Similar cap hits so at 50% its maybe 100k difference and Manson the far better defender. Sure we won't get him for Rutta + 3rd but if we are moving assets for a D might as well get the one better at the D part.

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Why target Shattenkirk when we could target Manson? Similar cap hits so at 50% its maybe 100k difference and Manson the far better defender. Sure we won't get him for Rutta + 3rd but if we are moving assets for a D might as well get the one better at the D part.

I'm not saying we don't eventually find another target, I just can say with a high degree of conviction that Shattenkirk is a target. Last offseason both the Lightning and Shattenkirk had a lot of interest in him returning but the #'s just didn't work. At 2 million I think they do. Anaheim is just a great team to broker a trade with in general if we need to dump cap space.

I don't think we need an amazing defender, I just think a high end offensive RD who can keep his head above water could help a ton. Last year it should have been obvious what we've been missing from a PMD like Shattenkirk, who can generate a ton of offense from that spot. If Rutta was a shut down defender, I still think we'd be interested in Shattenkirk, it's just that Rutta hasn't been consistent enough offensively to justify his average defensive game.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I definitely think there's a correlation between us seeing what a player like Shatty did for our team, and then drafting 2 dmen with size/skillsets outside of what we normally take in Eamon Powell and Jack Thompson.

From where we picked Thompson to where we picked Powell 6 other D were taken with 4 of them being under 6'. So I'm not sure if it's a shift in how we drafted or in how the position is changing. We are still using big defenders but a lot of the ones coming up in the league these days are on the smaller skilled side.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
That is cool, just remember this conversation when JBB does what we do every year and makes moves in spite of the cap

I mean I get it and am not saying what I am because I think JBB can't do it. I'm saying it because going after Shattenkirk is akin to the last dying breath of the NYR going after Eric Staal with the only difference being we cashed in on the 5 year window. At the end of 2 years from now, JFBB trying to throw together a team with super glue and duct tape for a 3-peat or another run the year after results in us rebuilding with a bunch of guys on the wrong side of 30 who have no value and we're stuck with zero draft capital and prospects. There is NO promise we win another title by then. Or we can sell high now, reload and kick open another 5 year window by the end of the same 2 years. Getting Shattenkirk doesn't help either case

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Anaheim may just buy him out, and then we lose no draft picks when signing him

Anaheim is a budget team and are in no cap trouble. There's an almost 0% chance they buy him out. They aren't throwing away 6M on Shattenkirk when as you say he's still a serviceable player. They may trade him for a lesser contract of similar length or retain on him for a better return but a straight buyout isn't in the cards.

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
They are committed to a rebuild, Shattenkirk seems redundant and if the only way to dump him is to buy him out, I don’t see how that isn’t an option.

Obviously I could be wrong

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
They are committed to a rebuild, Shattenkirk seems redundant and if the only way to dump him is to buy him out, I don’t see how that isn’t an option.

Obviously I could be wrong

How is he redundant? Their RD for next season will be Manson, Shattenkirk and Drysdale. Keeping Shattenkirk allows then to not have to throw Drysdale into the top 4 right away. Shattenkirk also plays a style that Drysdale does so would be a good vet to learn from. They are likely shopping Manson if they can't agree to a long-term deal so they'll need Shattenkirk. Going into a rebuild and dumping all your vets isn't the best idea, look at Edmonton as that didn't work out well.

Reactions: Hoek

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
How is he redundant? Their RD for next season will be Manson, Shattenkirk and Drysdale. Keeping Shattenkirk allows then to not have to throw Drysdale into the top 4 right away. Shattenkirk also plays a style that Drysdale does so would be a good vet to learn from. They are likely shopping Manson if they can't agree to a long-term deal so they'll need Shattenkirk. Going into a rebuild and dumping all your vets isn't the best idea, look at Edmonton as that didn't work out well.
Great post,

also I will add that Murray went out of his way to get Shattenkirk. It would not look good to buy him out. It’s not something that would ever happen.

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay

He is redundant because they are rebuilding, without Shattenkirk they still have Fowler, Manson, and Lindholm. I guess it’s a fair argument that they could ease Dryden in but let’s not act like they can’t trade him because he’s filling a void of veteran leadership

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Gotta agree with Hose here. If we were to target a Ducks defenseman I'd MUCH rather get Manson and I'd pay twice the price I' do for Shattenkirk.

I don't think the luxury of a 2nd PP unit QB is worth the defensive liability.

Reactions: Hoek

gg720fla

Dec 14, 2016
Gotta agree with Hose here. If we were to target a Ducks defenseman I'd MUCH rather get Manson and I'd pay twice the price I' do for Shattenkirk.

I don't think the luxury of a 2nd PP unit QB is worth the defensive liability.
Agree 100%, Shattenkirk is defensively weak and would rather have Rutta there regardless of how much Shattenkirk brings to the ice as far as more talented offensively . Cringed every time I watched him try and cover someone in our end.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad