Injury Report: Kevin Shattenkirk Separated Shoulder Out 2-4 weeks

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
If you [ubiqutous, plural form] wrongly believed the team had a chance, and shouldn’t have torn it down after 2014? Yes...
Well I [me, singular] believe that if one believed that the team that had 113 points and was one win away from the Cup Finals wasn't a team worth investing in, a mind examination should take place.

Reactions: McRanger

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
Contending teams perhaps.

The Rangers were not after 2014.

And contending teams wanting that sweet ass, He’s on the Panthers right?

The Rangers won the Presidents trophy in 2015 and went to the conference finals. They were contenders.

And yes, he's on the Panthers. They traded for his rights and signed him before he became a free agent. Being that they made a move to get him before he became a UFA would lead most people to believe there was a market for him.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
The Rangers won the Presidents trophy in 2015 and went to the conference finals. They were contenders.

And yes, he's on the Panthers. They traded for his rights and signed him before he became a free agent. Being that they made a move to get him before he became a UFA would lead most people to believe there was a market for him.

Should have torn it down in 2014 you addicts.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I think if a team loses in the first round like the Rangers did to Pitt, that is about when I'd start, maybe not tearing it down but maybe start to think about the teams real chance of contending which would lead to not renting the next season. Then after the Ottawa series I'm probably laying off UFA signings and rentals all together and/or at least changing up coaching.

Then again I would have probably pulled the cord even before the run that led to the finals appearance, yet I think I would have made different moves leading up to that and maybe had already won or would win that Cup or had completely screwed everything up so bad by then I knew I had to rebuild.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
shatty was relatively underwhelming when he was in washington, and a liability during their playoff run that year. what you saw when he was on the caps was what you were going to get when he came to new york.

injury or not, shatty's skill ceiling was probably reached in 2016 and the most anyone is ever going to get out of him is 45 points a season and a higher goals against total. his stats leveled off pretty hard after the lockout.

i think he was more of a product of his environment while he was in St. Louis rather than actually being an elite defensive man. some players find themselves on the right team with the right coach playing the right system and they excel. Shatty in St. Louis with Ken Hitchcock was one of those players.

with that being said, the knee injury really didnt have an effect on shatty's performance last year other than the fact that he only played 1/2 a season. he put up 23 points in 46 games and was a -14, all of which is on par as his stats in St. Louis. he probably would have put up 45 points and been -10 or -15 again last year even without the knee injury.

he isnt a bad player, but absolutely not worth his contract. the expectation for shatty when he signed was to be another yandle, and rightfully so. but i knew he was never going to meet that expectation based off his play in washington.

nevertheless, i was really excited when he was signed since i played against him a once or twice in high school, but so far...meh.

at this point im just happy to see him living the dream i once had.
Bold.......that is so cool......did he have hair back then?
Italics.....aaah, that is very sweet and sincere. You are a cool dude.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
And with that said......what in God's name were the Rangers thinking about, when they went after him? Or, was it more Shatty selling himself as a lifelong Rangers fan, and would be great for selling papers? Apparently the spoiled Shatty got what he wanted and didnt help his favorite team at all.
At this point he would have been helping the Rangers MORE by being a detriment to Washington's play, helping us.
OR, did he come aboard to help us with the "tank/rebuild".

Again.....sometimes I think the Rangers get players based on their "name" and what they "HAVE DONE", opposed to what they are going to do. I thought that shitty thinking was over!

Another thing......when the "thinking of a rebuild" coming soon, why oh why.......would they sign Shatty? To make up for Yandle? Oh God......wasnt a big difference in $$ between the 2, so why not a more versatile (Yandles consec. game streak comes to mind), younger and obviously not that worn. And yeah, Shatty being more of a "by product" opposed to Yandle really being a bright light on a very crappy Arizona team and then misused in NY. So again, what in the hell?........Unless the obvious, Yandle would have HURT the "tank".

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
And with that said......what in God's name were the Rangers thinking about, when they went after him? Or, was it more Shatty selling himself as a lifelong Rangers fan, and would be great for selling papers? Apparently the spoiled Shatty got what he wanted and didnt help his favorite team at all.
At this point he would have been helping the Rangers MORE by being a detriment to Washington's play, helping us.
OR, did he come aboard to help us with the "tank/rebuild".

Again.....sometimes I think the Rangers get players based on their "name" and what they "HAVE DONE", opposed to what they are going to do. I thought that ****ty thinking was over!

Another thing......when the "thinking of a rebuild" coming soon, why oh why.......would they sign Shatty? To make up for Yandle? Oh God......wasnt a big difference in $$ between the 2, so why not a more versatile (Yandles consec. game streak comes to mind), younger and obviously not that worn. And yeah, Shatty being more of a "by product" opposed to Yandle really being a bright light on a very crappy Arizona team and then misused in NY. So again, what in the hell?........Unless the obvious, Yandle would have HURT the "tank".

I think they were going to try to sign him regardless. You look at the team and their reluctance to really blow it all up at once and stuff, they want people in the seats. I was listening to BSUR and they had Ron Duguay on and IIRC he touched on this concept. They want people in the seats. And they want wins. So, I feel like that is part of why he got signed. That, and I do believe they were giving it a half season, around when they sent us all those letters, to see where this team was, and if they had the stuff anymore. They were probably hoping Kevin would help them with that but we just were not contenders at that point anymore.

I thought he was going to be a good player for us. I am only a little disappointed, but I still like him and hope he stays, and plays better. At this point we're clearly not a cup or playoff contender so having Shattenkirk on the roster doesn't really matter if we're talking about space and everything. If he has something to offer to guys like ADA, then super. If not... play your game and if you want to come back at a reduced rate...fine. meh

trunkslamchest

NASH W I D E
Nov 21, 2016
wide
First 23 games last season: 5 goals, 12 assists
Last 23 games last season: 0 goals, 6 assists

But I'm sure you're right and the injury wasn't a factor in his performance.

we were in full tank mode during the last 23 games of the season.

Bold.......that is so cool......did he have hair back then?
Italics.....aaah, that is very sweet and sincere. You are a cool dude.

haha thanks, yea he had hair. he wasnt super flashy even back then like you might think. he was a great skater but nothing else really stood out.

from my experiance, the guys that went the farthest at early stages/lower levels (atleast in the lower hudson valley/greater new york area) werent the ones that played like gretzky. they were the guys that were smart and could skate.

Last edited:

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
I picked this guy up in my keeper league thinking he would he be a good, not great 4/5 dman. Boy was I mistaken.

At this point is an offseason trade the best case scenario?
Is there any hope of him rebounding?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad