Injury Report: Kevin Shattenkirk Separated Shoulder Out 2-4 weeks

Good Intentions

Mar 30, 2018
He was the original dad bod, but he used to have another gear he doesn't anymore. His escapability is impaired, and it's noticeable he's making decisions at the timeline forecheckers are dictating for him.

In the Florida game, it was tough to be confronted with the difference in how he and Yandle have aged.

Same thought - and a good example of age not meaning a damn thing.

Example - Love Zucc and appreciate all he’s done, but I don’t want him for another 4 months let alone 4 years

Brief Candle

Hank's Forehead Sweat
Jan 30, 2010
New Jersey
rocklandmusic.com
What makes it suck is knowing he lives and breathes this team. I'd have given anything to play one shift for the rangers when I was a kid. I was never a big fan of the signing till the news came out that he grew up a rangers fan. I was pulling for him big time. However, like anything else in life, we can't escape father time. Some players age gracefully and their exit from the league is on their terms. Many aren't so lucky, and sadly he's probably one of the unlucky ones.

Reactions: haveandare

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
Jagr separated his shoulder on much less and went on to play for another 25 years.

Was this sarcastic? Jagr was one of the best players of all-time.

I actually disagree with that guy about the departed shoulder, but the knee issue from last year seems to be something he might never overcome.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I actually disagree with that guy about the departed shoulder, but the knee issue from last year seems to be something he might never overcome.
It will be debated if it was the injury that caused his decline or that he was never just the player that the Rangers thought him to be. Either way, I agree that the injury has only compounded his decline.

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
I'm loving the revisionist history with his previous injury. First it was in november, then o no it was after a game, and now its from training camp...

And now pile on this injury to him not playing nhl hockey..

He was a 1 zone player now hes a 0 zone player

Theres a reason why both the blues and the caps didn't play him above the 3rd pair..

Time to dump him and thank him for becoming the thing he probability hated most growing up a Rangers fan(the old overpriced UFA that sucks it up in a blueshirt)

To quote american songstress Ariana Grande "thank u, next"

Reactions: bl02

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
I'm loving the revisionist history with his previous injury. First it was in november, then o no it was after a game, and now its from training camp...
From the moment we learned that he was suffering from an injury, it was known it was sustained in training camp. What are you talking about?

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

And now pile on this injury to him not playing nhl hockey..

He was a 1 zone player now hes a 0 zone player

Theres a reason why both the blues and the caps didn't play him above the 3rd pair..

Time to dump him and thank him for becoming the thing he probability hated most growing up a Rangers fan(the old overpriced UFA that sucks it up in a blueshirt)

To quote american songstress Ariana Grande "thank u, next"

He got hurt in camp.

He got doped up so he could play, probably doing even further damage until he couldn’t handle it anymore.

It was a dumb decision (both by him and the rangers) to allow him to continue playing. Probably career altering decision.

trunkslamchest

NASH W I D E
Nov 21, 2016
wide
shatty was relatively underwhelming when he was in washington, and a liability during their playoff run that year. what you saw when he was on the caps was what you were going to get when he came to new york.

injury or not, shatty's skill ceiling was probably reached in 2016 and the most anyone is ever going to get out of him is 45 points a season and a higher goals against total. his stats leveled off pretty hard after the lockout.

i think he was more of a product of his environment while he was in St. Louis rather than actually being an elite defensive man. some players find themselves on the right team with the right coach playing the right system and they excel. Shatty in St. Louis with Ken Hitchcock was one of those players.

with that being said, the knee injury really didnt have an effect on shatty's performance last year other than the fact that he only played 1/2 a season. he put up 23 points in 46 games and was a -14, all of which is on par as his stats in St. Louis. he probably would have put up 45 points and been -10 or -15 again last year even without the knee injury.

he isnt a bad player, but absolutely not worth his contract. the expectation for shatty when he signed was to be another yandle, and rightfully so. but i knew he was never going to meet that expectation based off his play in washington.

nevertheless, i was really excited when he was signed since i played against him a once or twice in high school, but so far...meh.

at this point im just happy to see him living the dream i once had.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
with that being said, the knee injury really didnt have an effect on shatty's performance last year other than the fact that he only played 1/2 a season. he put up 23 points in 46 games and was a -14, all of which is on par as his stats in St. Louis. he probably would have put up 45 points and been -10 or -15 again last year even without the knee injury.
First 23 games last season: 5 goals, 12 assists
Last 23 games last season: 0 goals, 6 assists

But I'm sure you're right and the injury wasn't a factor in his performance.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
It will be debated if it was the injury that caused his decline or that he was never just the player that the Rangers thought him to be. Either way, I agree that the injury has only compounded his decline.
That’s why we gave him 4 when he would’ve and could’ve gotten 6 or more elsewhere.

Again the problem here with him is temporary.

For all of the crying about Gorts signing him (not by u) he got for cheap as hell, with little restriction, and for just 4. If that’s his bust UFA that’s great

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
I'm actually pretty indifferent to the trials and tribulations of Shattenkirk at this point.

The only thing that really stirs me up about it is that it reminds me that we had a better player and great team guy in Yandle, who we let walk.

I'll remember Yandle's impact on the game and his terrible, endearing, celebration technique long after Shatty's tenure here has faded from my mind.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
I'm actually pretty indifferent to the trials and tribulations of Shattenkirk at this point.

The only thing that really stirs me up about it is that it reminds me that we had a better player and great team guy in Yandle, who we let walk.

I'll remember Yandle's impact on the game and his terrible, endearing, celebration technique long after Shatty's tenure here has faded from my mind.
Would’ve liked to have seen what Quinn would’ve done w Yandle and I’m not the “AV IS AWFUL” guy. He certainly had his faults and they showed especially at the end.

But it would be interesting for sure. Right now it would be more lipstick on that pig tho

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Would’ve liked to have seen what Quinn would’ve done w Yandle and I’m not the “AV IS AWFUL” guy. He certainly had his faults and they showed especially at the end.

But it would be interesting for sure. Right now it would be more lipstick on that pig tho

The Yandle trade was dumb too.

Same knuckleheads screaming for Yandle were the same dingbats screaming for Shatty.

I’m starting to think there is some pattern here...

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
The Yandle trade would have made way more sense if he were a RHD. Rangers adding him to McD, and Staal(with a NMC) meant someone was going to be unhappy.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
The Keith Yandle that has 28 points in 29 games this season? Adding him to a team that desperately needed some skill on the back end? What a silly idea!

Contending teams trading for good players is dumb. They should be trading their good players for picks so that they can contend even harder down the road.

Reactions: Thirty One

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Or it would have made more sense if instead of re-signing Staal, they traded him and picked up Yandle.

While I agree with you, the chances the GM at the time was going to not extend Staal were probably not very good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad