Injury Report: Kevin Shattenkirk Separated Shoulder Out 2-4 weeks

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Brooks had a good article on Shatt yesterday night (cant find it now on mobil) but basically said his body hasnt been the same since the knee injury and his game has suffered. Cant say hes wrong

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
Reactions: The Crypto Guy

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
I feel bad for him on a personal level because nothing has gone right for him while he’s been here but at the least for NYR, it should create some room to get McQuaid playing in the interim to boost his value a bit for the deadline.

Yep play the two kids and McQuaid in RD then deal him for a pick later

Reactions: Faceless

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
Shattenkirk became what everyone thought Gaborik would be.

Blessing in disguise, as we’ve got young Dmen ready for the bigger minutes. Let’s let these growing pains continue and see what we get out of Pionk and Tony D.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
His body isn't the same because he's a chubby **** with the fat distribution of a 43-year-old beer league bowler.
He was the original dad bod, but he used to have another gear he doesn't anymore. His escapability is impaired, and it's noticeable he's making decisions at the timeline forecheckers are dictating for him.

In the Florida game, it was tough to be confronted with the difference in how he and Yandle have aged.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I don't mind McQuaid if he's ready to come back and take the bottom RD spot. Neal and Tony handle the power play and both can help out on PK now. McQuaid could be like a mainstay penalty killer and McQuaid should give us a bit more edge and physical play. There's also Brendan Smith though.

Sending both Schneider and Fogarty down leads me to think that either Zucc or Buch--probably Zucc are ready to come back into the lineup. That should help balance the lines a bit.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
I read it. Was pretty interesting. I hadn't thought about it, but just from watching games, I'd think Brooks was right.

The link for whoever is interested.

https://nypost.com/2018/12/12/unlucky-ranger-suffers-latest-in-series-of-unfortunate-events/
Brooks is right about Shatty losing his escapability. He was never a burner like Karlsson or anything but he had quick feet and could skate himself out of trouble. He's been noticeably slower as a Ranger than previously in his career and it can't be chalked up entirely to aging.

I feel bad for him because he got hurt in training camp last year bc he didn't want to let anyone down and that decision might have ruined his career. He clearly didn't heal back to his original 100%. If he sat out the first 2-3 months of last year and let it get back to normal, who knows, he could be looking like his old self.

Although I disagree about Brooks' criticism of Shatty on the PP. I still think even with his diminished foot speed he can be an elite PP guy. His production isn't there entirely because of his deployment and usage. He's getting 2nd pair mop up minutes while the inferior PP player Pionk gets the D spot on the top unit despite the top unit being garbage for a long time now. When he's back Quinn needs to move him to PP1.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Another blow to his tenure here.

I was hopeful when we signed him, hopeful after hearing of his knee last season and that he would come back in a big way this season. The problem here is that he wasn't playing great before this injury and this isn't a nagging issue where his play would've suffered due to it.

He still has time to prove the naysayers wrong, BUT... it's going to be tough.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
I don't think this guy will age well. That was a nothing hit.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I don't think this guy will age well. That was a nothing hit.

Nothing hits can do that if you don't absorb the impact properly.

He won't age well though, I agree. His skating, which wasn't great before, hasn't even been to his regular standards, has taken a step back this year.

That knee injury is going to be the end of him.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Empirical research has shown that players recover quicker and actually add longevity to their playing careers if they are injured while trying to elbow Gomez.

Kidding aside, I feel kind of bad for Shattenkirk even if I did not like the signing in the first place and have been lobbying for his trade pretty much ever since.

I'd like to add something about the risk that goes into signing UFAs but TLDR would apply.

lilphildub

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2009
I actually thought he's been playing better lately. He did look slower but still has the brains to make it work. Happy it wasn't more serious

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
He was the original dad bod, but he used to have another gear he doesn't anymore. His escapability is impaired, and it's noticeable he's making decisions at the timeline forecheckers are dictating for him.

In the Florida game, it was tough to be confronted with the difference in how he and Yandle have aged.

Kevin got the Tim genetics, while Keith got the chad genes

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad