Rumor: Kevin Hayes

Kevin Hayes to Avs

• Total voters

Foxtail

Mar 31, 2018
Nova Scotia
You mean the trade where he ended up with a worse return than he could've gotten the year before had he not been so triggershy? :sarcasm:

Fortunately he has the resources and opportunities to get it done, so we'll see over the next month (or two) if Joe can take this project across the finish line.
Worse return ? Lolol I don't think he sees it that way. The trade was pure gold

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019
Joe gets a lot of clout as a result of his patience with the Duchene trade. But his patience/reticence to be more aggressive has hurt us at time (Stastny, Hayes and others times).

We’re in our window now and can’t keep giving 9296 no help. You’ve basically had the most cap space the last 2 offseasons. Be more aggressive in the short term deals - we could’ve given stastny 2x9 and he’s off the books next year. Hell yea it’s an overpay but does it matter if the cap space would go unused?

The UFAs next year arent great either. Give Hayes a 4x$7.5m deal. An overpay but you’re not locked in for long and can always trade him with minor retention. Or even the 6x6-6.5, bc you can still trade him and get something in return.

If you don’t use it, you lose it.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Avs aren't even allowed to speak to Hayes or any other UFA for another three weeks. Blaming Sakic for not doing much at this point is just working yourselves up over nothing.

The media loves to speculate at this time of the year, but most of it won't turn out to be true. Hell, last year most of the pundits didn't predict Tavares going to Toronto, despite it being his home town and it's obvious in retrospect he wanted to go there.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Literally every single one of us has said "if Joe can't get anything done this offseason" so nobody is blaming Joe for anything now. For f***s sake.

And just because a move doesn't end up happening doesn't mean it wasn't discussed or available. A small fraction of moves that teams discuss actually end up coming to pass.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I think Sakic is much better than he once was but I don't give him that much credit for Duchene, especially since we know that it wasn't him who made all the efforts to get it done.

Every winter here some people put their overpriced old cars for sale for people who don't want to use their nice cars in the snow. Then they sit on their ass until someone gets desperate enough and give them the asking price. That's pretty much what Sakic did, it doesn't require negotiating skills just be hard headed and patient.

To me a good GM is a proactive one who finds ways to negotiate what he needs.

Last edited:

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Whit who is very close with Hayes said that apparently Arizona was looking at a sign and trade so they could get an 8th year. Then to top it off he speculated it to be in the range of 52 to 54 million.

That term and AAV is too much for Hayes, even though I like him. Unless Philly blows his mind I think he waits to see what other teams are offering.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Whit who is very close with Hayes said that apparently Arizona was looking at a sign and trade so they could get an 8th year. Then to top it off he speculated it to be in the range of 52 to 54 million.

That term and AAV is too much for Hayes, even though I like him. Unless Philly blows his mind I think he waits to see what other teams are offering.

tenor.gif

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Yep it really is though. I like Hayes, but the only way he should get 6.5 - 6.75 per year is if it’s 5 or less. If he wants more term he needs to drop that AAV. An 8th year is flat out nuts with that AAV. If a team wanted to get creative and offer that 8th year somehow to get the AAV down to 5.25-5.5 I think that’s a decent idea. 6.75x8 is just hilarious though.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009

Wouldn’t this have needed to have been done with Winnipeg?

Isn’t it too late now for 8 years?

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
And I think the only team that could have offered an 8th year was Winnipeg, yeah? (I'd thought that in order to offer the 8th year a player has to be on a team at the conclusion of the trade deadline?)

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia

Yeah, you are right. I have completely forgot he was traded. You need to be on the team's roster before the deadline passes to be eligible for the 8th year of the contract.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006

Correct. What I’m saying is that even though it never happened Hayes is well aware of what’s potentially out there.

Just trying to say the market for Hayes is beyond what I’d be ok with even though I’m a fan of his.

Reactions: EdAVSfan and Ivan13

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Avs aren't even allowed to speak to Hayes or any other UFA for another three weeks. Blaming Sakic for not doing much at this point is just working yourselves up over nothing.

The media loves to speculate at this time of the year, but most of it won't turn out to be true. Hell, last year most of the pundits didn't predict Tavares going to Toronto, despite it being his home town and it's obvious in retrospect he wanted to go there.

NHL teams do not abide by that. Varly has already said he has had other NHL offers. Hayes has spoken with Chicago, Colorado, Arizona, and Philly (at minimum) about parameters.

I don't think 6.5m is bad for Hayes, but I wouldn't want it on a deal that is longer than 4 years. I think that is where the Avs pulled out of the running. The Avs' mistake in Hayes wouldn't be not signing him this summer, but not making a move with the Rags last summer to try to lock him in a more reasonable deal when it was obvious he wasn't in New York's plans.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
Correct. What I’m saying is that even though it never happened Hayes is well aware of what’s potentially out there.

Just trying to say the market for Hayes is beyond what I’d be ok with even though I’m a fan of his.
Ah gotcha.
Misunderstood.

For sure, maybe it does give some credence to the report that Joe was uncomfortable with where the term was heading for him.

It may well take a 7 year deal to get him to sign.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Ah gotcha.
Misunderstood.

For sure, maybe it does give some credence to the report that Joe was uncomfortable with where the term was heading for him.

It may well take a 7 year deal to get him to sign.
Yep. I’d be okay with a 7th year on Hayes (I know most aren’t) but again, it’s with the understanding that it brings his AAV way down. If those numbers an AAV are accurate I can gladly move on from my love for Hayes because that’s simply a bad contract.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Now that he didn't sign right away with Philly I would be surprised if he went to the July 1. I can't imagine making it that close to free agency and signing now. He's already talked to a handful of teams, might as well take it to July 1st and lets them bid themselves blind for you.

Now that numbers are coming out I'm not quite certain the Avs should try to get him. There are players this summer you throw the bank at and Hayes isn't one of them. I'd be okay with a Soderberg like contract (with adjustments for today's cap) but I can't blame Sakic and co from walking away from those reported numbers.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I’ve seen some negative and positive on Joe on this board. Here’s my take. The reality is, he just built a team that was a game away from going to the Western Conference Final. And if it wasn’t for that offside, who knows what would have happened with the season.

Did he have to pick MacKinnon? Nope. Seth Jones had an excellent World Junior and a lot of people would have been fine if he was the pick.

Did he have to pick Rantanen? Nope. Can you imagine where this franchise would be had he taken Lawson Crouse?

Groo, for a second round pick looks pretty darn good to me.

The Landeskog and Mack contracts are excellent.

How about that Makar kid? You could definitely argue Petterson, but I’m pretty happy with Cale.

The Duchene trade was good. Yes, it’s taken a while, but when the assets are starting to come in now.

Does he need to get better at drafting outside of the first round? Absolutely. But, I think he’s improving and I’m very pleased with what he’s done.

Let’s let the offseason play out and see what he can do to address offensive depth.

Foxtail

Mar 31, 2018
Nova Scotia
We could've still been playing if we had addressed our second line last summer, even without help from the zebras ;)
No hurry , the plan is to grow the team within and make a few add ons when the time is right.

After gaining the experience the time is now but they dont have to be overpays.

Perfect time to trade Barrie , would have been last year if Makar hadn't went back to school. If he had signed then Barrie could have brought us the 2nd line help last year.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
No hurry , the plan is to grow the team within and make a few add ons when the time is right.

After gaining the experience the time is now but they dont have to be overpays.

Perfect time to trade Barrie , would have been last year if Makar hadn't went back to school. If he had signed then Barrie could have brought us the 2nd line help last year.

Not going to go into depth on this yet again, but there absolutely is a hurry to avoid becoming the next Winnipeg, and that ticking clock is the MacKinnon contract and the golden cap window it creates for us.

Cores that are ever going to "arrive" pretty much always arrive before they are "supposed to", so the time was right last summer; when they proved they were ready to take those next steps but needed help on the 2nd line and Makar to join the fun. It's also right this summer, so hopefully Joe does better this time around. :crossfing

Foxtail

Mar 31, 2018
Nova Scotia
I’ve seen some negative and positive on Joe on this board. Here’s my take. The reality is, he just built a team that was a game away from going to the Western Conference Final. And if it wasn’t for that offside, who knows what would have happened with the season.

Did he have to pick MacKinnon? Nope. Seth Jones had an excellent World Junior and a lot of people would have been fine if he was the pick.

Did he have to pick Rantanen? Nope. Can you imagine where this franchise would be had he taken Lawson Crouse?

How about that Makar kid? You could definitely argue Petterson, but I’m pretty happy with Cale.

The Duchene trade was good. Yes, it’s taken a while, but when the assets are starting to come in now.

Does he need to get better at drafting outside of the first round? Absolutely. But, I think he’s improving and I’m very pleased with what he’s done.

Let’s let the offseason play out and see what he can do to address offensive depth.
Youngest team in the league and everyone is in a big panic. Let's see how the off season plays out. Still a Barrie trade yet

Reactions: Northern Avs Fan

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
NHL teams do not abide by that. Varly has already said he has had other NHL offers. Hayes has spoken with Chicago, Colorado, Arizona, and Philly (at minimum) about parameters.

I don't think 6.5m is bad for Hayes, but I wouldn't want it on a deal that is longer than 4 years. I think that is where the Avs pulled out of the running. The Avs' mistake in Hayes wouldn't be not signing him this summer, but not making a move with the Rags last summer to try to lock him in a more reasonable deal when it was obvious he wasn't in New York's plans.

Wait, what? Since when did the league start becoming open about its behind closed doors prohibited contract discussions? Wow.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006

Agree on all your points. One thing Sakic does well is learn from his mistakes...so far anyway. Let's see what he is able to do this summer.

Reactions: Northern Avs Fan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad