Rumor: Kevin Hayes

Kevin Hayes to Avs

• Total voters

avsfan9

Jul 28, 2011
I’ve heard a couple of rumours of the avs perusing Hayes in free agency. If signed how much do you think he would make and what kind of an impact would he have on the team? Is he the right choice for our second line center?

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Depends on the price. If we could got 6.5x5/6 I think that’d be ideal. Then we get our 2c for the next couple seasons and then our soda replacement or 2W for the duration of his contract. Plus your guaranteed solid 2way play and ~45pts out of him. Possibly more.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Depends on the price. If we could got 6.5x5/6 I think that’d be ideal. Then we get our 2c for the next couple seasons and then our soda replacement or 2W for the duration of his contract. Plus your guaranteed solid 2way play and ~45pts out of him. Possibly more.

Yep.

$6.5m AAV for 6 years.

I’m down.

6’5”!

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
If we can't get Panarin, which is the ideal option, Hayes is the next best thing as long as you don't count Duchene (and I don't).

Reactions: Mac Attack

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I'd rather go up to 7per than give him that 6th (or 5th) year; if we have the choice.

Last edited:

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
If we can't get Panarin, which is the ideal option, Hayes is the next best thing as long as you don't count Duchene (and I don't).
I just don't see Joe shelling out the $$$ needed to sign Panarin. He's probably gonna get north of $9-$10M per, and I don't think Joe will go that high. If he can get Hayes at $6.5-$7, and then use #16, or Barrie, to add a scoring winger, that would be the route I would like to see them go.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
6 years takes him to what 33? I mean it’d be like the soda contract basically. I mean I’d definitely prefer 5 years but 6 wouldn’t be the end of the world.
My issue is less with him falling off before 6 years have passed, and moreso with allocating capspace to him for that long; when signing Hayes should go hand in hand with drafting someone like Zegras to take the 2c job from him in 2-3 years.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Unpopular opinion but I’d rather give term than AAV. The cap is 72% what it was 7 years ago. If inflation continues as it has in the past, an AAV of 6M 7 years from now would be comparable to 4.3M today. Even if Hayes heads downhill he will still only be 34 years old by the end of it and at 6M AAV will only be making up approximately 5% of our total cap hit in that season.

To me it rather get him at 6M over 7 years than 6.5/7m over 5 or 6 years. That’s comparable to Ian Cole’s impact on our cap this past season and less than Soderberg’s while likely being a bigger impact on the ice.

Reactions: RumpleSnipeSkin

The Pwnerer

Jan 27, 2006
How much better is Hayes compared to Brock Nelson? Could see the Avs pursuing both and running for Nelson if they lose out on Hayes.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
How much better is Hayes compared to Brock Nelson? Could see the Avs pursuing both and running for Nelson if they lose out on Hayes.

Honestly I don't think one is miles and miles better than the other. Hayes is bigger, obviously, but Nelson is more physical from what I've seen. Neither is good at faceoffs. :thumbd:

Both possess a good release and can play in all situations, so there's that. I don't think he's a bad "Plan B" if things with Hayes fall through, but I'm expecting the Isles to re-sign him because they don't really have a choice, do they?

I know the analytics folks don't like Nelson at all. Not sure what they really think of Hayes, though his possession metrics are...okay. A quick glance at Corsi/Fenwick doesn't lend itself to context though.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
I'm definitely excited about the possibility of his coming to Colorado.

Just turned 27, skates well for his size, good definitely and capable of playing big minutes. Also plays both C/RW well.

I feel like the Avalanche is a great fit for him, too.

I'm not sure what other teams will be interested, but in Denver, you can pencil him in for the same 19+ minutes of ice time he got this year with the Rangers (an ice time figure which seemed to help him thrive); on a team with a deeper forward group, he may very well be looking at the same role he saw in Winnipeg, with 14-16 minutes per night.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
I just don't see Joe shelling out the $$$ needed to sign Panarin. He's probably gonna get north of $9-$10M per, and I don't think Joe will go that high. If he can get Hayes at $6.5-$7, and then use #16, or Barrie, to add a scoring winger, that would be the route I would like to see them go.

Elite player always over good player. I rather gamble Karlsson than pay Hayes 7 mil a season. Same with Panarin, although he seems to be in the best shape of his career and doesn't have too long NHL career behind so he could be useful for a long time.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Might as well just kept O'Reilly

Or sign Barrie to a 7-year contract 3 years ago when it was the time to do it. Mistakes were made and we shouldn't make future decisions based on them.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I really want Panarin but I dont think Avs can fit everyone under the cap down the line. They have to resign Rantanen, Barrie soon, MacKinnon in few years will get a big raise, Makar after his ELC will probably get a big contract too, Landeskog etc..

Ideally Panarin would be awesome, but realistically Hayes is the guy Avs can afford and I'll be fine with it

Reactions: AvsGuy

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
The only thing I wish Hayes was better at is faceoffs. The Rangers have played him plenty on the wing as well. Otherwise he ticks a lot of boxes as a quality second line center who can fill that spot until Turcotte/Zegras is ready and then he can slide over to wing. Heck, if you think Jost is better at center than wing (I do) and is still worth grooming for a top 6 role, Hayes could play on his right wing as well.

Gotta keep his cap hit as close to 6 as you can though. Otherwise move on to other options.

Still think if you can get JT Miller for next to nothing by taking on Callahan, you could run with JTM-Jost-Hayes as a cost controlled line, assuming you don’t go crazy on Hayes’ contract. It’s not Panarin or Huberdeau - and I obviously agree I’d pay a true star the extra money - but it’s a big upgrade for now and let’s us keep both our firsts without killing our future cap (which I fear bidding on TWO UFA top-6 forwards would do).

Reactions: burgundyblue

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I really want Panarin but I dont think Avs can fit everyone under the cap down the line. They have to resign Rantanen, Barrie soon, MacKinnon in few years will get a big raise, Makar after his ELC will probably get a big contract too, Landeskog etc..

Ideally Panarin would be awesome, but realistically Hayes is the guy Avs can afford and I'll be fine with it
next summer Tyson needs a raise & Girard comes due, but we'll open 6.2M with Soda & Barbie expiring, and Longbeach's 1.975M would come off of the books as well if we didn't re-sign him. The following summer, when Landy will need a raise & Makar will come due, we'd have Cole & Calvert's 7.1M coming off of the books plus that would be the XD summer, after which there's a good chance that EJ will no longer be on the books for more than 2M...opening another 4-6M. The next core piece to need a new deal after that would be MacK & the Ottawa pick.

So as long as we don't screw ourselves by overpaying our depth, we can absolutely spend to cap this summer and let cap rises cover any raises that the depth earns.

Reactions: Barklez

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Or sign Barrie to a 7-year contract 3 years ago when it was the time to do it. Mistakes were made and we shouldn't make future decisions based on them.

Barrie wanted to be the highest paid on the team and went through and completed Arbitration (who does that) to only sign before a decision fair for both parties.

Sakic or the AVs organization seemed willing to extend long-term, Barrie wanted more $$$ and they settled in the middle. Barrie is just as much to blame or praised as the AVs to getting a deal done. I wouldn't look back on what could've been, it's his willingness to extend?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad