Rumor: Kevin Hayes

Kevin Hayes to Avs

• Total voters

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Serious question for everybody..not meant to re-start a Sakic discussion. Just curious where people stands on the issue.

Considering that most teams are not letting their Cs go and also considering that the odds of signing guys like Panarin and Skinner are very slim, are you guys more concerned with solving the 2C or the secondary scoring? Obviously you could solve both with one guy if you find the right 2C but which one has more priority in your eyes? I'm asking because from some people's comments it sounds like the 2C is the goal this season. I've seen comments such as if they don't find a 2C the offseason has been a failure.

For me it secondary scoring. I would love to get a 2C this summer but I think it is more important to get one or two guys that can put the puck in the net than finding a 2C at all cost. For example would you consider getting Zucker and Connolly and no 2C an offseason failure? I would not. I think it would still be a great step towards fixing our secondary scoring while waiting for our 4QA to arrive. What about just one high-end winger like Panarin/Skinner and no 2C? Would you still be disappointed like some have said lately?

Again of course I would prefer a very good 2C and a very good winger along with that to address both but it might be hard to accomplish.

Just wondering where people stands on the issue.

quesosauce

Feb 5, 2008
Denver
i think if we found the right center we could get more scoring out of guys like Jost and Kerfoot

2C is the more pressing issue IMO

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Serious question for everybody..not meant to re-start a Sakic discussion. Just curious where people stands on the issue.

Considering that most teams are not letting their Cs go and also considering that the odds of signing guys like Panarin and Skinner are very slim, are you guys more concerned with solving the 2C or the secondary scoring? Obviously you could solve both with one guy if you find the right 2C but which one has more priority in your eyes? I'm asking because from some people's comments it sounds like the 2C is the goal this season. I've seen comments such as if they don't find a 2C the offseason has been a failure.

For me it secondary scoring. I would love to get a 2C this summer but I think it is more important to get one or two guys that can put the puck in the net than finding a 2C at all cost. For example would you consider getting Zucker and Connolly and no 2C an offseason failure? I would not. I think it would still be a great step towards fixing our secondary scoring while waiting for our 4QA to arrive. What about just one high-end winger like Panarin/Skinner and no 2C? Would you still be disappointed like some have said lately?

Again of course I would prefer a very good 2C and a very good winger along with that to address both but it might be hard to accomplish.

They need a #2C if they ever want to have any hope of playing the top line together more often than not. In my mind the only player on the roster fully capable of holding down the 2C slot is Landeskog.

You are right though that in the end the most important thing is secondary scoring in general, but I don't love tweeners like Zucker or Connolly being all we come out with. That will be a failure IMO.

They 100% have to add at least one legit top six forward.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
They need a #2C if they ever want to have any hope of playing the top line together more often than not. In my mind the only player on the roster fully capable of holding down the 2C slot is Landeskog.

You are right though that in the end the most important thing is secondary scoring in general, but I don't love tweeners like Zucker or Connolly being all we come out with. That will be a failure IMO.

They 100% have to add at least one legit top six forward.
Fair enough although IMO Zucker and Connolly are more than tweeners. Tweeners for me are more 3rd liners that can fill in on the 2nd line when needed for a short time. I think they are legit 2nd liners but on the low end range. They are both 20 goal scorer which is something this team really needs. Not to mention they would fit our system much better than Kerfoot.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Fair enough although IMO Zucker and Connolly are more than tweeners. Tweeners for me are more 3rd liners that can fill in on the 2nd line when needed for a short time. I think they are legit 2nd liners but on the low end range. They are both 20 goal scorer which is something this team really needs. Not to mention they would fit our system much better than Kerfoot.

I agree to an extent on Zucker, but I don't trust Connolly personally. I don't trust Dzingle either.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019

Aggression within reason is my preference.

We need one forward in the top six, and ideally two forwards in the top nine.

With that being said, championships aren’t built through free agency, unless it’s the NBA.

A guy like Jeff Skinner for 9 million? No thanks. I’d rather have Panarin for 10/11.
Panarin is the only player in this free agency I would be willing to overpay to get, unless it’s someone on a short term contract.

Now, maybe that approach means you have to go the trade route, and use draft picks. I’m all for using 16, and every pick after that this year and our first next year to get what we need. Not all of them of course, some assortment of those picks.

Anyways, I would be disappointed if we didn’t add depth to our top nine, but I believe it will be done.

Doesn’t have to be a 2C for me.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Zucker would be a good get but no way is Fenton gonna trade him to the Avs.

I agree with the above sentiment. Yes, be aggressive, but don't be crazy. I think they really need to come away with a scoring forward of some kind who moves the needle for the offseason to be considered a success, but if the 2C isn't there, he isn't there.

Reactions: timothy jimothy

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
80d.gif

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
A bit surprised that the Flyers haven't inked him yet.

I guess there's still some small hope he wants to test the market and ultimately end up an Av.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
A bit surprised that the Flyers haven't inked him yet.

I guess there's still some small hope he wants to test the market and ultimately end up an Av.

The rumor about us backing out due to term kills the hope for me more than Philly just acquiring his rights. I doubt they would change their stance on July 1st, and some team is going to offer him the term he wants.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008

I have the same mindset. If Colorado takes a center with the 4th overall pick - namely, Alex Turcotte or Kirby Dach - we can pretty much expect that player to be cracking the NHL a year from now.

That said, if the Avalanche do select Byram 4th overall, I think the 2C spot needs to remain a priority. Unless Jost takes a huge step forward, or Soderberg is able to replicate his 49 point season, this organization is hurting at the 2C spot.

Hornstar

Feb 3, 2018
I have the same mindset. If Colorado takes a center with the 4th overall pick - namely, Alex Turcotte or Kirby Dach - we can pretty much expect that player to be cracking the NHL a year from now.

That said, if the Avalanche do select Byram 4th overall, I think the 2C spot needs to remain a priority. Unless Jost takes a huge step forward, or Soderberg is able to replicate his 49 point season, this organization is hurting at the 2C spot.
I hope Joe doesn't got with the"Jost taking a huge step forward" approach. He simply has to be aggressive. We need two top 6 guys going into next season. It's a damn shame we can't leave 922996 together and have a decent 2nd line to help out. Zibs name seems to come up and would instantly fix out 2c. Kadri would be another name to pursue. I know it's been beaten to death but kerfoot and just aren't gonna cut it.

Reactions: shadow1

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
Okay, so with Hayes signing for 7.14 million over 7 years, can all the people who wanted Sakic to sign him please line up to eat some crow served up by those of us we knew Hayes would be severely overpaid and thus wasn't a good target for us?

I don't really enjoy saying "I told you so", but there were just too many people on this board absolutely convinced that he'd sign for 4-5 years at 6 million or less here, when all the evidence suggested he was a prime candidate to get a contract exactly like he ended up getting.

In any case it will make me happy to see people stop automatically adding Hayes into their expected Avs forward lines for next season.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Okay, so with Hayes signing for 7.14 million over 7 years, can all the people who wanted Sakic to sign him please line up to eat some crow served up by those of us we knew Hayes would be severely overpaid and thus wasn't a good target for us?

I don't really enjoy saying "I told you so", but there were just too many people on this board absolutely convinced that he'd sign for 4-5 years at 6 million or less here, when all the evidence suggested he was a prime candidate to get a contract exactly like he ended up getting.

In any case it will make me happy to see people stop automatically adding Hayes into their expected Avs forward lines for next season.
To be fair, he took the stupid Flyers to the cleaners.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
To be fair, he took the stupid Flyers to the cleaners.

Yes, but the league has never been short of GM's who are willing to make stupid deals like that when there's a shortage of high-end free agents at an in-demand position. Honestly, any hockey fan with any sense should have seen that kind of deal for Hayes coming a mile away.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Literally the only thing that makes the Hayes deal truly awful is the NMC.

If that part wasn't included I would have been quite content with him signing that deal with us. You dont get Top 6 forwards in free agency without overpaying at least a little bit.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

I mean I think everyone who wanted Hayes always prefaced it by saying assuming it was 6.5 or under. No one here wanted him at the deal he took with the flyers.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
Literally the only thing that makes the Hayes deal truly awful is the NMC.

If that part wasn't included I would have been quite content with him signing that deal with us. You dont get Top 6 forwards in free agency without overpaying at least a little bit.
Three years of NMC doesn't make much difference except for the expansion. (if you plan to try to dump him to seattle, no guarantee, you shouldn't sign him)

The term is the killer. I could have given him 7M for four years so it expires when MacK is due for his new shiny 15M deal.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
I mean I think everyone who wanted Hayes always prefaced it by saying assuming it was 6.5 or under. No one here wanted him at the deal he took with the flyers.

Except of course the guy who posted right above you...

And yeah a lot of people prefaced it, but I also had several arguments in which my entire point was he'll be overpaid and I had plenty of people telling me I was wrong.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Except of course the guy who posted right above you...

And yeah a lot of people prefaced it, but I also had several arguments in which my entire point was he'll be overpaid and I had plenty of people telling me I was wrong.

1) who cares if he’s overpaid by 500k that’s not that bad in FA.

2) it’s the Flyers. They always give people horrible contracts I don’t think he would’ve gotten a 500k overpayment and a NMC anywhere else.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
1) who cares if he’s overpaid by 500k that’s not that bad in FA.

2) it’s the Flyers. They always give people horrible contracts I don’t think he would’ve gotten a 500k overpayment and a NMC anywhere else.

1) You think 6.6 million over 7 years is a fair deal for Hayes? I think anything over 6 is already an overpayment, and 7 years at over 6 is a huge overpayment.

2) The Flyers (and teams like them) exist. That's why he was always going to get overpaid. He'd have to turn down better offers to sign here if he was going to sign a reasonable deal here.

Honestly, are you trying to argue that he wouldn't get overpaid if not for the Flyers despite the clear evidence we have right in front of us that he wanted a 7 year deal at 7 million+? Do you think he'd have taken some sort of discount for the honor of playing for the Avs?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad