Value of: Kevin Hayes to the Carolina Hurricanes

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Last Season Staal was tied for the 1st place on the Rangers with +11. He actually was very good defensively, and if this pre-season is any indication he is going to have a very good season and I think his offensive numbers will also get a lot better.

So? Canes currently 7 deep at the NHL level with Slavin, Hamilton, Faulk, Pesce, de Hann, TVR and Fleury. They also have McKeown who is NHL ready and Cajkowski who looked good enough to be a #7. Bean and Fox in the system as well.

So Staal has negative value to Carolina. His contract with a NMC is bad and he’d be fighting for a #7 at best.

Cane mutiny

Ahoy_Aho
Sep 5, 2006
Last Season Staal was tied for the 1st place on the Rangers with +11. He actually was very good defensively, and if this pre-season is any indication he is going to have a very good season and I think his offensive numbers will also get a lot better.
We don't need anymore defenseman. We are set already and actually have a surplus right now.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Bern...

Wtf did I just read...?

giphy.gif

??? as to the comic relief effort...

not that it is required but Shatty to us is a precedent.
He said to effect I'll honor my existing contract and go where traded, but I make no promises thereafter when I turn UFA. Linked to rumor that he wanted to come home and play for Rangers, he diplomatically said, to effect that, he reserved his rights to test the market.

Hayes is already on record he wants to stay here, suggesting all NYR gotta do is get close on $ and term.
He can stay and help and likely turns into a top 2C knocking the 1C door;
OR
he can do that upon returning after being dealt.
Were that the case, we get compensation from a trade partner, and that helps Hayes b'c theoretically it accelerates NY return to being a cup challenger.

It is not that complex a concept.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016

Very good defensively? Not a dumpster fire more likely but even so, not very good.
Staal is pretty bad and should be a 7 or 8, scratch that......buy out on this team.
Offensive numbers have always been rather low for him. What do you base that assumed improvement on?

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Buchnevich for Fox, McKeown, and a conditional 1st in 2022 ONLY if Fox does not sign with Rangers by then, which we do expect will be the case.

Canes are still thin at pivot, but Buchnevich helps replace Skinner production. Versatile at either W. last year elc, rfa rights to club. Canes can afford the spare RD.

Done. Send me the paperwork Bern.

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
the 15/16 Leafs had 7-8 unproven rookies and made the playoffs. Last year's Devil's had 3-4 unproven rookies and made the playoffs. Not saying the Canes will make it, but there are many recent examples of that happening.
Flyers rookies last year and made the playoffs: Nolan Patrick, Oskar Lindblom, Travis Sanheim, Robert Hagg, Alex Lyon

~Taylor Leier

2nd year players: Travis Konecny, Ivan Provorov, Jordan Weal

There are a lot of recent example. That’s the way the game is kind of shifting... more bonafide young players have the ability to step into the lineup now.

—-As for the post:
Canes just got a guy in the Hamilton-Hanifan trade named Adam fox. Decent defender as a future for a rebuilding team. That would seem to be the logical base unless there’s a forward/pick future that the rangers would want.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Flyers rookies last year and made the playoffs: Nolan Patrick, Oskar Lindblom, Travis Sanheim, Robert Hagg, Alex Lyon

~Taylor Leier

2nd year players: Travis Konecny, Ivan Provorov, Jordan Weal

There are a lot of recent example. That’s the way the game is kind of shifting... more bonafide young players have the ability to step into the lineup now.

—-As for the post:
Canes just got a guy in the Hamilton-Hanifan trade named Adam fox. Decent defender as a future for a rebuilding team. That would seem to be the logical base unless there’s a forward/pick future that the rangers would want.

I am not interested in a decent 5'10" defenseman, we got plenty of undersized Dmen to deal with already, don't need another one.

Reactions: slg1963

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
What other middle 6 centers do the canes have haha

Well played sir...

Hopefully Necas emerges as a top 6 guy sooner rather than later and hopefully Aho can handle things down the middle. But, that's a lot of unknowns, Canes really could use a guy like Hayes imho.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
I like Hayes, but this could be trying to solve a problem the Canes might not even have.

The future is Aho-Staal-Necas. It doesn't have room for another center.

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Necas and his mighty 1 game at the NHL level. got it.

Well Staal and Rask are undoubtedly 2/3 type centers so regardless of whether or not Necas slots in at that level as well I don't know how many more middle 6 centers we need. It really depends on if Aho can take the reigns as a no. 1C. If so then even with Rask's injury having Aho, Staal, Necas down the middle is fine if a maybe a bit underwhelming.

RalphyDanger

"Where's the Hustle Boys!"
Nov 1, 2010
Most of us on the Canes board are big Bern fans. Seems like there is something that could be worked out.

Bluedevil58 to the Rangers Board, 10% of his posts retained
Bernmeister to the Canes Board

Lol that’s just a terrible offer...

You guys may be fans of Bern, but speaking for myself I’ve never even heard of this BlueDevil58 guy. There is no way he is worth Bern.

We’re talking about a poster with 2,500 posts vs. a guy (Bern) with 15,000+ posts. There’s no way Bluedevil compares to Bern. Bern will continue to produce quality posts for 15, maybe even 20 or 30+ years.

There is no way we would trade a generational poster like Bernmeister for something like that. I think I speak for all Rangers posters when I say this....

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Lol that’s just a terrible offer...

You guys may be fans of Bern, but speaking for myself I’ve never even heard of this BlueDevil58 guy. There is no way he is worth Bern.

We’re talking about a poster with 2,500 posts vs. a guy (Bern) with 15,000+ posts. There’s no way Bluedevil compares to Bern. Bern will continue to produce quality posts for 15, maybe even 20 or 30+ years.

There is no way we would trade a generational poster like Bernmeister for something like that. I think I speak for all Rangers posters when I say this....

:shakehead Would you take Rick Nash over Filip Chytil because Nash over 1000 NHL games and Chytil has 9? Of course not. You need to look at the advanced posting stats to get a good picture.

BD58 has 2502 likes with his 2647 posts. That's a 0.95 Like to post ratio. Bern has 373 likes to his 15139 posts. That's only a 0.02 Like to post ratio!

BD58 may have not been around as long, but his advanced metrics are FAR superior.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad