Value of: Kevin Hayes to the Carolina Hurricanes

Salvage21

Jan 11, 2009
The Poconos, PA
Faulk seems like the most obvious swap considering the log jam at Defense and the need for a center. The Rangers have a long jam at center but no immediate need for "veteran" defense. The only way it would make sense for all parties if a third team - with a need for a RHD - like Edmonton is involved.

To Carolina - Hayes
To Edmonton - Faulk
To Rangers - Edmonton's Futures/Young ELC players

It's hard to speculate exactly what Edmonton would offer. I think Rangers fans would say first round pick but I think management would be more interested in someone like Puljujarvi. Young RH forward with size - a player they can control for a couple more years.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Hayes and Faulk could be an interesting foundation for a deal of the Rangers could get a third team involved. Other than that it makes little sense as folks have noted already.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Faulk seems like the most obvious swap considering the log jam at Defense and the need for a center. The Rangers have a long jam at center but no immediate need for "veteran" defense. The only way it would make sense for all parties if a third team - with a need for a RHD - like Edmonton is involved.

To Carolina - Hayes
To Edmonton - Faulk
To Rangers - Edmonton's Futures/Young ELC players

It's hard to speculate exactly what Edmonton would offer. I think Rangers fans would say first round pick but I think management would be more interested in someone like Puljujarvi. Young RH forward with size - a player they can control for a couple more years.

If Faulk can pull in Puljujarvi then Hayes and NYR are getting cut out of the deal.

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
Hayes and Faulk could be an interesting foundation for a deal of the Rangers could get a third team involved. Other than that it makes little sense as folks have noted already.
Getting a third team involved does make things interesting. What team is willing to part with picks/prospects to get faulk?

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Fox is more of an interest to the Rangers than Faulk

But a prospect like Fox is not on the table for 1 year of Hayes. With more term, who knows, but for a UFA-to-be, CAR much rather takes their chances signing Fox after his junior year.

Reactions: DaveG

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
But a prospect like Fox is not on the table for 1 year of Hayes. With more term, who knows, but for a UFA-to-be, CAR much rather takes their chances signing Fox after his junior year.
eh, I disagree but I get it

I think their feeling on whether or not Fox wants to go UFA will play into things

The Rangers like Fox, that's all I know

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013

I think their feeling on whether or not Fox wants to go UFA will play into things

For whatever reason, GM Donne Wadz is very high on Fox and also very confident he'll get him signed after Fox's junior season is over. He even (idiotically in my opinion) went on record saying he thought there was a 99.9% chance Fox gets signed this coming offseason. We'll see, but right now, Fox for Hayes is probably an overpayment on CAR's end.

Hayes though probably interests the Canes very much so if Fox spurns them, but we won't know if he's going back for his senior year until March/April next year...that's an eternity of time for the "will he or won't he sign" speculation...

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014

And they could probably get him as a UFA just like they got Vessey. Harvard grad - check. Immediate positional need in the NHL - maybe. Exciting city for a young person to live in - check. Original six franchise - check. On the upswing - check.

I think it's a really long shot that Fox decides to sign with the Hurricanes given the establish RHD they have under contract blocking his path. He can wait one month and go anywhere he wants making sure he immediately steps into the NHL. I'm sure every single team will make him an offer, except for Arizona because they're at their 50 contract maximum. That's why Calgary traded him away. They could see the writing on the wall. I personally feel Fox will be signing that forces this loophole to be closed. If you play junior hockey in Canada or overseas the team holds your rights. If you go through the NCAA you're a UFA. Guys going to Harvard or other Ivy League schools are going to get that degree because it's so valuable and then sign where they want. Teams have to retain their rights for a year once they declare they're turning professional.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
the 15/16 Leafs had 7-8 unproven rookies and made the playoffs. Last year's Devil's had 3-4 unproven rookies and made the playoffs. Not saying the Canes will make it, but there are many recent examples of that happening.

yes, but Canes don't have much of a veteran core especially the forwards, also a rookie coach and questionable goaltending.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
And they could probably get him as a UFA just like they got Vessey. Harvard grad - check. Immediate positional need in the NHL - maybe. Exciting city for a young person to live in - check. Original six franchise - check. On the upswing - check.

I think it's a really long shot that Fox decides to sign with the Hurricanes given the establish RHD they have under contract blocking his path. He can wait one month and go anywhere he wants making sure he immediately steps into the NHL. I'm sure every single team will make him an offer, except for Arizona because they're at their 50 contract maximum. That's why Calgary traded him away. They could see the writing on the wall. I personally feel Fox will be signing that forces this loophole to be closed. If you play junior hockey in Canada or overseas the team holds your rights. If you go through the NCAA you're a UFA. Guys going to Harvard or other Ivy League schools are going to get that degree because it's so valuable and then sign where they want. Teams have to retain their rights for a year once they declare they're turning professional.

Fox has to wait an extra year beyond this one if he wants to become a UFA. That is his incentive to sign with the Canes.

It is possible that Fox just didn’t want to play in the West and/or Canada.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
yes, but Canes don't have much of a veteran core especially the forwards, also a rookie coach and questionable goaltending.

That's fine, but that's not what I was responding to. I was simply responding to the statement: "They are counting too much on unproven rookies, that rarely works out." to which I showed that counting on unproven rookies and having it work out isn't rare. If you would have said, they have a rookie coach, crappy goaltending, insufficient veteran depth, and too many rookies, I wouldn't have batted an eye.

I personally don't think the Canes are a playoff team, but too many unproven rookies isn't one of the reasons why.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
That's fine, but that's not what I was responding to. I was simply responding to the statement: "They are counting too much on unproven rookies, that rarely works out." to which I showed that counting on unproven rookies and having it work out isn't rare. If you would have said, they have a rookie coach, crappy goaltending, insufficient veteran depth, and too many rookies, I wouldn't have batted an eye.

I personally don't think the Canes are a playoff team, but too many unproven rookies isn't one of the reasons why.

Two words... Scott Darling :help:

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
VQberem.png

You mean NHL leading goalie, Scott Darling? :sarcasm:

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018

To be honest I think they are going for a top pick this season, that is why they unloaded Skinner in the offseason and did not go after any UFAs

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Fox has to wait an extra year beyond this one if he wants to become a UFA. That is his incentive to sign with the Canes.

It is possible that Fox just didn’t want to play in the West and/or Canada.

Adding to this, if he wants to go the UFA college route and not sign with CAR after this season, he’s looking at signing right before the next presumed lockout. If he signs with CAR, he gets one season of pro hockey under his belt before the next lockout. There’s also some contractual advantages too...something about potentially hitting RFA earlier by signing next year and letting a year burn off his ELC...there’s some knowledgeable folks of the Canes board that could potentially expand on that...

Regardless, it’s certainly still a possibility he goes 4 years at Harvard and pockets his degree plus the chance to go wherever he wants. We won’t really know either way til after his junior season is done. If he still doesn’t sign going into his senior year, I’d deal him ASAP to the highest bidder before losing him for nothing. I have my fingers crossed for a signing in March/April of 2019. He’s said all the right things and CAR mgmt is confident on that so we’ll just have to wait and see..:

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Adding to this, if he wants to go the UFA college route and not sign with CAR after this season, he’s looking at signing right before the next presumed lockout. If he signs with CAR, he gets one season of pro hockey under his belt before the next lockout. There’s also some contractual advantages too...something about potentially hitting RFA earlier by signing next year and letting a year burn off his ELC...there’s some knowledgeable folks of the Canes board that could potentially expand on that...

Regardless, it’s certainly still a possibility he goes 4 years at Harvard and pockets his degree plus the chance to go wherever he wants. We won’t really know either way til after his junior season is done. If he still doesn’t sign going into his senior year, I’d deal him ASAP to the highest bidder before losing him for nothing. I have my fingers crossed for a signing in March/April of 2019. He’s said all the right things and CAR mgmt is confident on that so we’ll just have to wait and see..:

Regarding burning an extra RFA year off - IIRC the Canes can sign Fox at the end of this year and allow this year to count as one ELC year. So that starting next season he would be on year 2 of his ELC and one year out from a potential big $ extension.

If the Canes were looking for levers to pull to get a deal done then this is an option.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad