Value of: Kevin Hayes - Jets

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Yeh I would be very hesitant to give up a 1st rd pick or any of our top three prospects bc we need those ELC badly......if the cost included a 1st or any of our top three prospects I would likely pass on him.
I strongly doubt Hayes is moved without a 1st or top prospect coming back

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I strongly doubt Hayes is moved without a 1st or top prospect coming back

Fair enough.....After giving up our 1st last year I wouldn’t give it up again and we can’t afford to give up any of our top three prospects. I would pass on that if that’s the cost.....I view Stastny last year higher then Hayes this year.

Alluckks

Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Fair enough.....After giving up our 1st last year I wouldn’t give it up again and we can’t afford to give up any of our top three prospects. I would pass on that if that’s the cost.....I view Stastny last year higher then Hayes this year.
Stastny is 32, Hayes is 26

We would also be negotiating with other teams with the idea in mind that he can resign immediately

Their production has been pretty similar as of late

We would be expecting something like the Rick Nash trade if you want to make another comparison

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011

We would also be negotiating with other teams with the idea in mind that he can resign immediately

We would be expecting something like the Rick Nash trade if you want to make another comparison

Jets Signing Hayes is an impossibility.....so we would only be a player as a rental.

Reactions: Hobby Bull

Alluckks

Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Jets Signing Hayes is an impossibility.....so we would only be a player as a rental.
Okay, but other teams could resign him, so the price doesn't go down just because you couldn't do as much with him as other teams

I understand how that can dictate what you'd like to pay but it doesn't change the price

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Okay, but other teams could resign him, so the price doesn't go down just because you couldn't do as much with him as other teams

I understand how that can dictate what you'd like to pay but it doesn't change the price

Not disagreeing with you.....just doesn’t make sense for the Jets to do if that’s the price imo.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Not really interested in sacrificing another 1st rounder for a rental this year. Nothing against Hayes as a player, but the Jets can’t afford to keep him and I honestly don’t see him being a clear upgrade in the top 6.

That’s completely understandable. Most people on this forum aren’t willing to sacrifice future assets for rentals, even though GM’s do exactly that year after year.

The fact that inquiring teams can negotiate an extension with Hayes after the New Year does make him a unique piece for teams interested in a legit top-6 center with good size and talent.

I don’t think Hayes is moved as a rental this year. I wholeheartedly believe the team acquiring him will do so with an extension.

Hayes can play in every situation. PP PK ES. He’s definitely a pass-first natural Center, but he can finish too. He’s 26 years old. I can see a good 6X6 extension for him. Rangers can not only retain on him, but also take back a mediocre contract.

He’s a likable player too. I know some Rangers fans mock him and call him Kevin Purple Hayes, and a filthy Boston ****face... But he plays a blue collar game and seems like a positive asset in the lockerooom.

He might not be a good fit to many people on HF... But I can guarantee NY will get a very good return for him in the real world.

typicalsavage

Oct 31, 2018
Contenders (who are almost always right against the cap) typically don't trade prospects who are on the verge of making the team because they need that cheap depth to fill out the roster.

Trading picks for a rental is sacrificing the future for right now but trading prospects who are almost ready is sacrificing the very near future and cutting the window short unnecessarily.

So no, the Rangers aren't getting guys like Roslovic or Niku for a rental. Just be glad they're getting late firsts and aren't losing UFAs for nothing, or worse, giving them huge contracts that'll be anchors by the time the team is competitive again. Be realistic.
Lol they should be thankful? Okay. Thats like me offering up Puljujarvi for Laine and saying just be thankful you're getting something for him and not having to pay him a fat contract. Look at what Nash got, Hayes could easily return that or more. Maybe the Jets wouldn't pony up those guys but Hayes is easily worth one of those guys plus a first.

typicalsavage

Oct 31, 2018
Not really interested in sacrificing another 1st rounder for a rental this year. Nothing against Hayes as a player, but the Jets can’t afford to keep him and I honestly don’t see him being a clear upgrade in the top 6.
Yeah I don't think he fits with Laine and Ehlers tbh. If thats where they plan on playing him.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Yeah I don't think he fits with Laine and Ehlers tbh. If thats where they plan on playing him.

You don’t know Hayes’s type of game then. I think a player like Laine would be a perfect compliment to a playmaker like Hayes.

What Hayes does really well is slow the play down, draw a dmen, and find the open player.

Problem here in NY is he doesn’t have a shooter on his flank. It’s a ****show here in NY right now..

typicalsavage

Oct 31, 2018
You don’t know Hayes’s type of game then. I think a player like Laine would be a perfect compliment to a playmaker like Hayes.

What Hayes does really well is slow the play down, draw a dmen, and find the open player.

Problem here in NY is he doesn’t have a shooter on his flank. It’s a ****show here in NY right now..
Nevermind I mixed him up with Zibanejad for a second. You're right then. This is perfect for the Jets. I doubt you're going to be able to find a better fit.

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
Contenders (who are almost always right against the cap) typically don't trade prospects who are on the verge of making the team because they need that cheap depth to fill out the roster.

Trading picks for a rental is sacrificing the future for right now but trading prospects who are almost ready is sacrificing the very near future and cutting the window short unnecessarily.

So no, the Rangers aren't getting guys like Roslovic or Niku for a rental. Just be glad they're getting late firsts and aren't losing UFAs for nothing, or worse, giving them huge contracts that'll be anchors by the time the team is competitive again. Be realistic.

I'm not expecting a massive return for Hayes, I'm just saying that trading him for a late first makes little sense for the Rangers at this point. If it was last year I'd be fine with it but like I said we've had 4 1st round picks the last 2 years, will pick in the top 10 this year with our pick and will possibly have Tampas first this year.

We already have Chytil in the lineup with Andersson just about ready. Miller and Kravstov are off to very good starts in their +1 year. We need near NHL ready prospects in any return we get for Hayes or Zucc, yet another late first doesn't do us much good if we're looking to compete while Lundqvist is still elite. If for whatever reason the Jets were a bubble team come the deadline, I'd take their first. If it projects as a 26-31... No thanks

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
Lol they should be thankful? Okay. Thats like me offering up Puljujarvi for Laine and saying just be thankful you're getting something for him and not having to pay him a fat contract. Look at what Nash got, Hayes could easily return that or more. Maybe the Jets wouldn't pony up those guys but Hayes is easily worth one of those guys plus a first.
I said fans should be glad when the return is a first and a lesser prospect or one who's further away because it's the best realistic return for a rental. I explained why. If you don't understand that, try rephrasing your confused indignant post as a question and I can go into more detail for you.

Reactions: Sens

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I doubt Hayes is going to bring back a 1st or the equivalent value unless they intends on resigning him as well. It's a deep free agent class where a lot of big name players should be available at the deadline.

Duchene and Stone will be 100% available unless they want to resign, and I'll be surprised if either of them sign, let alone both. Depending on the direction and how the Jackets are doing this year could also see Bobrovsky and Panarin on the table. I assume Simmonds will be traded at some point this season as well.

Then there are guys like Skinner, Eberle, Edler, Nyquist, Silfverberg, Dzingel who are potential free agents and could be moved depending on how their team is doing. Add that onto Zucc/Hayes, it's looking like a buyers market and I simply can't see that many teams willing to throw around a 1st for a rental unless it's for a big name from a legitimate contender.

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
I doubt Hayes is going to bring back a 1st or the equivalent value unless they intends on resigning him as well. It's a deep free agent class where a lot of big name players should be available at the deadline.

Duchene and Stone will be 100% available unless they want to resign, and I'll be surprised if either of them sign, let alone both. Depending on the direction and how the Jackets are doing this year could also see Bobrovsky and Panarin on the table. I assume Simmonds will be traded at some point this season as well.

Then there are guys like Skinner, Eberle, Edler, Nyquist, Silfverberg, Dzingel who are potential free agents and could be moved depending on how their team is doing. Add that onto Zucc/Hayes, it's looking like a buyers market and I simply can't see that many teams willing to throw around a 1st for a rental unless it's for a big name from a legitimate contender.

With the parity that exists in the league, there are always tons more buyers than sellers come the deadline. What was the last trade deadline that was a "buyers market"?

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
With the parity that exists in the league, there are always tons more buyers than sellers come the deadline. What was the last trade deadline that was a "buyers market"?

I'd say 2013-14, I believe Snow even came out and said he received very few calls on Vanek.

Two biggest trades were for allstars at the time, which were:

MSL for 1st, 2nd Callahan
Miller + Ott for Halak, 1st, 3rd, Carrier, Stewart

None of the other players returned a 1st.

Gaborik for Frattin, 2nd Cond. 3rd
Vanek + 5th for Collberg + Cond. 2nd
Hemsky for 3rd + 5th
Macdonald for 2nd, 3rd

However, even then the potential free agent market was weaker. This will most likely be one of the strongest free agent classes in a long time, which means there will be a lot of players available at the deadline as well compared to past years.

Reactions: probablywrongbut

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
By the trade deadline half those potential UFAs will have re-signed ... see it every year

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
I'd say 2013-14, I believe Snow even came out and said he received very few calls on Vanek.

Two biggest trades were for allstars at the time, which were:

MSL for 1st, 2nd Callahan
Miller + Ott for Halak, 1st, 3rd, Carrier, Stewart

None of the other players returned a 1st.

Gaborik for Frattin, 2nd Cond. 3rd
Vanek + 5th for Collberg + Cond. 2nd
Hemsky for 3rd + 5th
Macdonald for 2nd, 3rd

However, even then the potential free agent market was weaker. This will most likely be one of the strongest free agent classes in a long time, which means there will be a lot of players available at the deadline as well compared to past years.

Gaborik was a shell of himself. Snow horribly misplayed his hand on Vanek. Hemsky and MacDonald? Nothing to write home about.

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
That’s completely understandable. Most people on this forum aren’t willing to sacrifice future assets for rentals, even though GM’s do exactly that year after year.

The fact that inquiring teams can negotiate an extension with Hayes after the New Year does make him a unique piece for teams interested in a legit top-6 center with good size and talent.

I don’t think Hayes is moved as a rental this year. I wholeheartedly believe the team acquiring him will do so with an extension.

Hayes can play in every situation. PP PK ES. He’s definitely a pass-first natural Center, but he can finish too. He’s 26 years old. I can see a good 6X6 extension for him. Rangers can not only retain on him, but also take back a mediocre contract.

He’s a likable player too. I know some Rangers fans mock him and call him Kevin Purple Hayes, and a filthy Boston ****face... But he plays a blue collar game and seems like a positive asset in the lockerooom.

He might not be a good fit to many people on HF... But I can guarantee NY will get a very good return for him in the real world.

Agree with most of what you said. Just don’t think the Jets are that team that will trade to sign him long term. In a cap free world, sure but as a rental the cost to acquire would likely be more than most would be comfortable parting with.

tradenashnow

Feb 17, 2018
I absolutely think they give up a first for him. The Jets are a win now team. A win team at least for the next 4-5 years. I don't think NY moves him to the Jets. I think they probably will move him to a team like Minnesota or Calgary who most likely will have a higher first. Perhaps Anaheim. I think Boston will be in on him big time. Boston is a pretty small team which is unusual for them. There probably is a good chance Hayes signs with them and might take less. Location is key with Hayes.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
I’m not against the Jets giving up a 1st. This could be a last best chance for a couple years considering the cap crunch that’s coming. Not that I think they are going down the drain with a cap crunch but obviously some choices are going to be made with so,e talented players.

You play to win the Cup not to be the Sharks or Blues.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012

What does age have to do with a rental player? This isn’t a long term plan. It’s only a matter of who is the better player currently when it comes down to it. No one cares about 3 years from now, this isn’t a long term contract negotiation.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
What does age have to do with a rental player? This isn’t a long term plan. It’s only a matter of who is the better player currently when it comes down to it. No one cares about 3 years from now, this isn’t a long term contract negotiation.

I'd agree with what you're saying, but how do any of us know that whoever trades for Hayes has zero intention of signing him?

Pongs21

It's not delivery, it's Sports Desk
Jul 18, 2011
Halifax
Chevy traded for Stastny with the intention of re-signing him, just didn't work out. I have no idea what the plan is after this season with regards to all the contracts that will need to be re-signed at significant pay increases, but the likelihood of the Jet's being able to re-sign Hayes would be slim to none and at the bottom of the priority list if so. Now is a time that our 1st's would be extremely valuable for us moving forward as we're going to need to plug in holes with ELC players and to maintain any kind of prospect cupboard. Hayes is a good player and if we had the available cap space to re-sign him i'd be interested. But to spend a 1st knowing that he's only here for a run, that very well could end in the first round, just isn't worth it. Doesn't mean the Jet's couldn't make an offer with ready now prospects and picks outside the 1st round. and example of prospects/picks that could be available:

Logan Stanley
Jansen Harkins
Nic Petan
Brendan Lemieux
Michael Spacek
Luke Green
2nd-7th picks

Rangers may get better offer's from other teams that include a 1st, but someone mentioned that the Ranger's have had a numerous amount of recent 1st's and most of the above prospects were picked in the 2nd round (Stanley 1st round) and are NHL ready or close to NHL ready (Stanley maybe next year, most likely the year after). This isn't meant to diminish Hayes value or to be an insult, but more of a reality from what WPG could offer. If WPG is going to break the bank with a 1st and high end prospect, I doubt that Hayes would be that guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad