Player Discussion Kevin Fiala

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison

The best case scenario, I guess, is that we just traded Granlund for a guy that can do most of what Granlund did but that's 4 years younger, several million cheaper and has more team control. I still think it's absurd that we gave Nashville the player that already does that without getting anything extra back, but if Fiala can take Granlund's minutes and be a 55-65 point player next year it evens up some. I think that's unlikely, but I'll have to watch a few games before I start jumping to conclusions.

Fenton either knows his player better than most and knew this was worth it, or he's guilty of one of the crimes that Fletcher was let go for: getting too attached to "his guys."

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Now that I watched all of Fiala's goals from last year, I'm an expert on Fiala. :teach:

He actually scored a bunch of goals off the rush, something I don't think you can say any other Wild player has the ability to do.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
The best case scenario, I guess, is that we just traded Granlund for a guy that can do most of what Granlund did but that's 4 years younger, several million cheaper and has more team control. I still think it's absurd that we gave Nashville the player that already does that without getting anything extra back, but if Fiala can take Granlund's minutes and be a 55-65 point player next year it evens up some. I think that's unlikely, but I'll have to watch a few games before I start jumping to conclusions.

Fenton either knows his player better than most and knew this was worth it, or he's guilty of one of the crimes that Fletcher was let go for: getting too attached to "his guys."
Excatly

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
I hope he doesn’t dump the puck in unless he absolutely has to otherwise the Wild are going to destroy his best skill set.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Now that I watched all of Fiala's goals from last year, I'm an expert on Fiala. :teach:

He actually scored a bunch of goals off the rush, something I don't think you can say any other Wild player has the ability to do.
Zucker...weren't we all just complaining that he scores all of his goals off the rush?

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Zucker...weren't we all just complaining that he scores all of his goals off the rush?
I thought we were all complaining because he can't hit the net. He doesn't score enough off the rush. Terrible at breakaways and never shoots on the rush.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I thought we were all complaining because he can't hit the net. He doesn't score enough off the rush. Terrible at breakaways and never shoots on the rush.

He's not terrible at breakaways. He's terrible at wraparounds.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Ok, we better get our stories straight, or we might get in trouble..

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
this our lineup? it looks horrendous. Hope Fiala proves us all wrong.
"Looks horrendous"

Also notices how horrendous the Wild have been this year with the same line up for the past few years.

"Not sure if being bad enough to lose in the first round every year is horrendous or the new lineup which I haven't seen play yet"

123TripleDoge

Nov 24, 2014
Noticed this as well. Lots of 2 on 1's where he actually shot and scored. The Wild have been consistently horrible in that regard so that should be cool. I think Fenton in his little segment mentioned getting fast shooters for the modern NHL

Reactions: Wild11MN

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
The Kevin Fiala trade: How to feel about the Wild's latest...
One of the things Fenton seems to be looking for in players is a willingness to shoot the puck. Fiala has that. Over the past three years, Fiala’s 8.8 shots per hour is 47th — 100 spots ahead of Granlund — among the 330 forwards with 1,500-plus minutes of 5-on-5 ice time. That shot rate puts him alongside Jason Zucker and Eric Staal as some of the most prolific shooters on the team.

But not only does Fiala shoot quite a bit, his shots are dangerous. Fiala lives in the high-danger areas, inside the slot and in front of the net, peppering opposing netminders with wristers from there all night. So it should come as no surprise that his expected goals per hour is 28th in the NHL over his first three full seasons.
Fiala is allergic to dumping the puck. Even during the down season he’s having, he has the third-fewest dump-ins per hour in the league. This is almost uncharted territory for the Wild, who have been a dump-and-chase team for almost their whole existence. To play a faster, more exciting brand of hockey, Minnesota is going to need more players who are able and wired to carry the puck like Fiala does.

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
Trading Granny to a division rival...ooo this could be good. Now very excited to see our former guys play against us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad