Signing(s): Kevin Durant to the Warriors

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
scottie-pippen-charles-barkley-and-hakeem-olajuwon-of-the-houston-picture-id470135303

beb926960c1aa338f6dd3c8d27771ee2.jpg

Barkley joined them in 1996 when Hakeem was 33 and starting to decline. Drexler was 34 and declining as well. It'd be different if he made his way to the team in 1992-1995.

Hell, at that time Barkley had already carried the Suns to the finals against MJ & had carried them and the Sixers for a decade. He was just trying to get a ring while he could still play, much like Malone in 2004 or Payton from 2004-2006.

I have no clue lol?

Better team - fact
Better city - fact
Better market - fact
Better for his brand - fact
Better fit for his game - fact
Better team culture - fact

Most are true but I think OKC is better for his brand. But team/city is a given considering your comparing SF/Oakland to Oklahoma.

You don't know that.

By all indications that was the case. Presti was trying hard to make space to give him the max but it became apparent he wasn't willing to be the 6th man anymore ( & good for him, he came the star I thought he'd be).

Morozov

The Devil Killer
Sep 18, 2007
People harp on about how he couldn't be the number one option. It's not like in OKC he was some clear number one option, it was him and Westbrook, the two headed monster. Not like Westbrook is exactly the type to defer because he believes in himself so much. To the point people were previously always on his case about how "Westbrick" was jacking all this stuff and not giving KD the ball.

We hear constantly about player ego, then you have a superstar who would rather be part of a team and play a team game rather than have everything built around him, he gets lambasted for not wanting to be "the guy".

We praise a Tim Duncan for being a team man, for not making things about himself, for being unselfish, but then it comes to KD and people want to say what a *****, couldn't do it alone.

How's going it alone been working our for Melo lol.

How many people play better team Basketball than the Warriors?

Did anyone utter the slightest peep about LA going to the Spurs? Had a great young team around him, a budding young point guard to play with, team was making the playoffs and had potential to really grow into something. He became a free agent, he went to the best organisation in basketball, that had made multiple trips to the NBA finals in the years leading up to it. Who questioned that? Anyone could see why it was smart for him.

I bet had KD gone to the Spurs, despite being pretty damn amazing last year, that people wouldn't have called him out. They'd say who wouldn't want to play for the Spurs they're strong, they're one of the best organisations in sports. They wouldn't say KD had to run off and be with another MVP candidate, they'd say wow what a great fit he could be in that Spurs system. But people respect and appreciate the Spurs, people soured on the Warriors very quickly.

Because he lost to the Warriors, apparently that makes all the difference. Apparently he's meant to base his entire livelihood around the fact he lost a series to the Warriors and let that dictate his life. Somehow I doubt with all the considerations he has to make about his life it is as black and white as the people on here trying to say what he should do with his life want to think it is. Nobody on here will ever make career decisions with the magnitude, and scrupulation and financial value that he has to.

In the end a free agent is exactly that, free. As in freedom, free to do what you want. That's your right. His decision doesn't need to be defended, he exercised his right to do what he wanted to do with his life just like he is entitled to do. More power to him. I didn't like him going there because it's bad news for fans of any other team in the league. But at this point I'll be glad if he wins just to hear the salty children and Stephen A's of the world weep over it. It will be hilarious, and the history books will say he's a champion and they won't be able to do a thing about it.

I'm never going to hold someone doing what they want to do with their life against them unless it's harming someone else. I'm not going to hold someone's career decisions against them. They need to stay true to what they want and their goals and their values. So good on you KD for doing what you want to do, not what some clowns think you should.

Last edited:

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
IMO some of you need to realize that this is 2016 - and three things are readily apparent in the world we live in, and not just from a sporting perspective.

1) We are in the massively-connected age, so players from opposing teams aren't bitter enemies anymore. Even though as fans we roots for 'teams', clearly fraternities span across teams in all the professional sports.

2) Personal choice (some would say empowerment) is lot more valued then organizational loyalty. The frequency at which all of us hop from one organization to another is at an all-time high, and frankly the same is true with athletes in professional sports.

3) We are a more results-oriented culture than we were 20-30 years ago. And for athletes in professional sports that means giving themselves the best chance of winning a championship.

Again the old-timers have would never have done this. But IMO KD wouldn't have done it 20 years ago either.

Virtanen18

SAMCRO
Jan 25, 2014
Vancouver
I find it hard to credit KD for leaving for a team like GS where the ball gets shared all the time and what not, considering how much ball hogging he was doing in the playoffs and constantly resorts to in 4th quarters. Let's not just **** all over Beastbrook for his questionable decisions when KD is so often prone to the same stuff.

I hate KD going to the Warriors cause it totally ****s the small ass amount of parity the league had as it is. Will the basketball be fun to watch? Hell yeah. But some of the best things about sports are the suspense, potential upsets, underdogs, etc. That stuff is pretty much out the window barring a miracle.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
What makes Durant look worse than other star players banding together to win a title is the fact he joined a team he couldn't beat.

member 51464

I don't know basketball well, but would he have made the Clippers competitive had he gone there instead?

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
I'm sure no one here has ever changed employers for what they felt was a better opportunity. :sarcasm:

NBA parity has always been a bit b.s. -- 31 of the last 37 championships have been won by the Celtics, Lakers, Bulls, Pistons, Spurs and Heat and each of those organizations has won at least three times.
That's SIX teams that have won three or more titles in the last 36 years. How many teams are in the league?

Only four teams in that time span won a single championship -- 76ers, Dallas, Golden State, Cleveland.
Houston won two.

There's MAYBE 4-5 true competitors every year, the rest are just fodder. So there's probably 3 next year instead of 4? Big deal.
Warriors, Cavs or Spurs -- it's going to be a repeat champion of some sort. Same as it almost always is year in and year out.

And besides all the competition is in the west anyway. The Cavs are probably going to have a cakewalk in the east for the third year in a row and no one is *****ing about that.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
It's wrong because he left his team. . .

It's wrong because he went to a great team. . .

It's wrong because he went to a team he couldn't beat. . .

These are all separate arguments that continue to get conflated because the fact of the matter is many people don't like this move, which is fine

However, when the other side of the coin is presented (it's the obvious move, it's the right move, it's the move that gives him the best chance at winning), said party's defense of Durant's choice is equally valid

In the end it is really just one party's opinion, and what should matter is how Durant feels about it, which I think is probably more conflicted than any commenters have painted this thus far

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Really? You've never heard ANYONE ***** about the East being weak?

I've heard it in general, but I don't see it here in the context of this Durant discussion when so many people are bent about parity and "competitive balance." At least Durant stayed in the west where there's much more of a battle top-to-bottom.

Wouldn't going to a team like Boston have been a much easier path? You have the Cavs and ... the Raptors? The Hawks? That's laughable competition.

Sports media and fans would've creamed their pants if something like that happened yet Durant still would have been undermining OKC (so weak they were up 3-1!!!!!! what a coward!!!!!) and he'd be lining himself up against weaker competition.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
What if he beat the Warriors in the WCF and joined them (after losing to the Cavs)?

He wouldn't of. The story goes that if PKC had made the finals, he would have stayed. Even losing in the WCF there was still a very good chance, but a 3-1 collapse and Jerry West phone call later here we are.

What makes Durant look worse than other star players banding together to win a title is the fact he joined a team he couldn't beat.

& didn't leave an average team. KG carried the T-Wolves for a decade before he wanted out, LBJ did the same with the Cavs, Love with the T-Wolves.

I don't know basketball well, but would he have made the Clippers competitive had he gone there instead?

He would have made them better. They were already competitive with Paul who is either the best or second pest PG in the league, definitely the best two-way guard in the league, a top 3 center in Jordan, and a top 5 PF in Griffin. Not to mention the best 6th man in the league and an insanely deep bench.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Ehhhh. In terms of pure talent, I would put Griffin over Draymond. I'm not even sure Draymond would be as good off the Warriors.

Based on pure talent and athleticism, yes Griffin is better and it's not close

Draymond though seems to be a much smarter basketball player; he's constantly scanning the floor looking for the best scoring opportunity available

As for him not being as good without Golden State, that's probably true of everyone on that team, so I don't see it as a knock against him

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Ehhhh. In terms of pure talent, I would put Griffin over Draymond. I'm not even sure Draymond would be as good off the Warriors.

Green is more important to the Warriors than Blake is to the Clippers. In a vacuum it's really close IMO as to who the better player is though.

Blake is an offensive superstar who can create for himself while Draymond is the most versatile defender in the league and maybe the best along with/after Kawhi Leonard. He can guard anyone on the perimeter on/off the ball and still provide you with elite paint and rim protection despite being only 6'7, and is one of the best help defenders as well. And, while you don't necessarily want him running an offense, he's more than capable of acting as a point forward in situations and has great floor vision/distributing ability.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad