Confirmed with Link: Kevin Bieksa signs one day contract to retire as a Canuck

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I still remember how multiple coaches (including one who won the Coach of the Year award) kept putting those two together despite looking like dog****.

Weird thing chemistry. Two otherwise LEGIT top 4 D's on their own. But combined? Yikes!
Putting two mistake prone defensemen together usually doesn't work, so it's not surprising. It's like putting Hughes and Myers together now. I think the trap that coaches fell into was that both Edler and Bieksa would fool you into thinking they were capable stay and home guys (which they randomly were, some years). I bet that pairing would have worked if they were tried again after Edler's game matured defensively.

The one that actually strikes me as weird is Ohlund and Jovanovski somehow not being a good pairing together, despite playing at their peaks and seeming like a match made in heaven in terms of play styles, and working well with players who have the same deficiencies but are just inferior in every other way (Sopel and Malik).

Last edited:

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
Bieksa would lose his underwear in the corner at least once a game. Cost us a few pretty key playoff goals if I remember correctly.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Let's not compare mostly net positive Jekyll and Hyde players with an always rock bottom, "even when he's at his very best, he's still kinda terrible" player like Sbisa.

Tyler Myers is a better comparable, IMO.

Bieksa was particularly weird because he wouldn't really have that many inconsistent one-off moments-- he'd just alternate between being bad for nearly a full season and being insanely good for nearly a full season.

yeah that's fair, but my point kind of was that sbisa was a whole other thing

jovo, a very good player who was prone to being inexplicably bad

bieksa, a guy who alternated regularly between being a legitimately good player and a legitimately bad one

sopel, a fairly bad player who was prone to occasionally being inexplicably good

sbisa, a bad player, full stop. but insofar as bad in all of these descriptions basically means giant brain farts and coughing up the puck like you've never played hockey before, i don't think i even knew a guy could make it to the NHL and play regular minutes over whole seasons constantly coughing up the puck like that or being a constant brain fart out there

Reactions: mossey3535

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
yeah that's fair, but my point kind of was that sbisa was a whole other thing

jovo, a very good player who was prone to being inexplicably bad

bieksa, a guy who alternated regularly between being a legitimately good player and a legitimately bad one

sopel, a fairly bad player who was prone to occasionally being inexplicably good

sbisa, a bad player, full stop. but insofar as bad in all of these descriptions basically means giant brain farts and coughing up the puck like you've never played hockey before, i don't think i even knew a guy could make it to the NHL and play regular minutes over whole seasons constantly coughing up the puck like that or being a constant brain fart out there
Gudbranson

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
Big fan of Bieksa. He was a major leader for that team on and off of the ice. Sometimes he have some mental blunders, but Bieksa would always give it his all and always back his teammates. Will never forget when Bob Hartley threw all of his goons on the ice to start the game, it was rookie Kellan Lains first ever NHL game and he was getting paired up against a Calgary goon off of the faceoff, Bieksa threw him out of the way and said "I got this" so the rookie didn't have to fight to start his career. Bieksa is pure class all the way, and I don't mind one bit that the Canucks are doing this.

They also should do this for Sami Salo too.:thumbu:

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
Would have superman punched Pettersson if Juice saw him sulking. Miss these old heart players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad