Value of: Kessel to the Coyotes

FinnishCoyote

Jan 3, 2017
Any thought of trading Letang is dumb.

He's on Malkin level of unavailable.

Kessel is gone and will help bring back some assets.

Dvorak+Schmaltz for Kessel? Is that good for AZ fans?

Wouldn't want to trade 2 young players on long-term deals to 32 year old winger. Also Chayka is very high on both guys, so i'm fairly positive that he wouldn't trade either

Reactions: Heldig

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
That's an insulting offer for Kessel. Why wouldn't the Penguins keep him if that's the best they can get?
Expect to be insulted or expect to retain Kessel. Kessel (15% retained) for 14OA may not seem fair to Pens fans....but doubt any team will beat it.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
I think most Penguins fans agree with you, but we're not calling the shots here. The team is most likely trading Kessel regardless of how we feel about it.

Reminds me of his exit in Toronto. Way too much smoke for nothing to happen

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Wouldn't want to trade 2 young players on long-term deals to 32 year old winger. Also Chayka is very high on both guys, so i'm fairly positive that he wouldn't trade either
Yup, Chayka wouldn't trade Schmaltz straight up for Kessel, not sure he'd even do Dvo straight up.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
It's not low-ball...….it's fair.

In no world is that insulting drivel fair. If you want to offer garbage, k, don't expect us to eat it.

174 points in the past two seasons at a steal of a cap hit and you think the Pens have to retain just to get rid of him? Good lord. I know this is Hockey's Future and all, but that 14th overall pick isn't half as valuable as you seem to think it is.

Reactions: Trade and domaug

Mackiaveli

Nov 24, 2015

I would like to see a big deal where Letang and Kessel both find themselves in Arizona.

14th overall pick, Pierre-Olivier Joseph, Dvorak, Hinostroza, Crouse and Goligoski for Letang, Kessel and something small.

RR

Mar 8, 2009
Cave Creek, AZ
A major change isn't a rebuild, therefore a 1st and 3rd does not move the needle at all. Kessel scored 83 and 92 points the last two years, which were the two most productive of his career. He makes 6.8M/year, which is fantastic for his production. Going to need some production in return..

His cap hit is $6.8m. His salary over final three years is ~$5.4m. Salary, not cap hit, matters to the Coyotes. If there's a deal that makes sense I doubt Chayka blinks at acquiring an elite scorer at that salary.

Reactions: AZviaNJ

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Personally, I feel like the Pacioretty deal is the most reasonable base for a future Kessel deal. That deal was essentially a mid 1st (Suzuki), a cap dump with some value (Tatar) and a 2nd for Kessel. At bear minimum, I think you're looking at a mid 1st and 2nd for Kessel.

My bet would be one of Arizona's recent late 1st or 2nd rounder prospects (so one of Merkley, POJ, Dineen, Capobianco or someone like that) and pick #14 for Kessel if it would happen. Maybe the Penguins can push it up to Fischer and pick #14, or maybe the Coyotes can push it down to a 1st and 3rd, but I think the middle guess is a fair one.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I would like to see a big deal where Letang and Kessel both find themselves in Arizona.

14th overall pick, Pierre-Olivier Joseph, Dvorak, Hinostroza, Crouse and Goligoski for Letang, Kessel and something small.
It's close. Just take out Pierre-Olivier Joseph, Dvorak, Hinostroza, Crouse, Goligoski and Letang.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Personally, I feel like the Pacioretty deal is the most reasonable base for a future Kessel deal. That deal was essentially a mid 1st (Suzuki), a cap dump with some value (Tatar) and a 2nd for Kessel. At bear minimum, I think you're looking at a mid 1st and 2nd for Kessel.

My bet would be one of Arizona's recent late 1st or 2nd rounder prospects (so one of Merkley, POJ, Dineen, Capobianco or someone like that) and pick #14 for Kessel if it would happen. Maybe the Penguins can push it up to Fischer and pick #14, or maybe the Coyotes can push it down to a 1st and 3rd, but I think the middle guess is a fair one.
Yep. This is all very much in the ballpark.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Any thought of trading Letang is dumb.

He's on Malkin level of unavailable.

Kessel is gone and will help bring back some assets.

Dvorak+Schmaltz for Kessel? Is that good for AZ fans?
That is pretty bad for the Coyotes IMO. Team needs scoring, yes, but they need to keep the few young, talented players they have.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Replace Goligoski with Kessel.

Sure but AZ has 10m+ in cap space to work with next season. The extra 7m in space to play with is part of the value for Pittsburgh. Pitt can't really change the roster without moving someone, and the likes of Maata and JJ are going to be a hard sell. Kessel at least can bring back assets, free up space, and move someone out who is rumored to have fallen out of favor of the coach. Flexibility is an asset in the cap era.

LuckyNumber11

Jun 10, 2015
Valley of the Sun
Sure but AZ has 10m+ in cap space to work with next season. The extra 7m in space to play with is part of the value for Pittsburgh. Pitt can't really change the roster without moving someone, and the likes of Maata and JJ are going to be a hard sell. Kessel at least can bring back assets, free up space, and move someone out who is rumored to have fallen out of favor of the coach. Flexibility is an asset in the cap era.
This is the part that no one is recognizing. Kessel is being trade because of his contract and no other reason. In these types of scenarios, the team trying to free cap space generally does not have a lot of leverage. An offer of Schmaltz and Dvorak would get nothing but a laugh from Chayka.
That being said 14+ is probably a reasonable estimate. I'd be guessing someone along the lines of Nick Merkley, Christian Fischer being that +
If Goligoski gets added into the trade then it becomes VERY fun to speculate what this trade would look like.

Reactions: hbk

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
What should be interesting to see is whether Nashville calls the Penguins about Kessel. They just lost in the 1st round in large part due to a terrible powerplay, and Kessel has QBed the Penguins powerplay to the league's 2nd best PP in the last 3 years (6th this year, 1st last year and 3rd in 2016-2017 with an injured Letang). I would be surprised for the Predators to be unwilling to offer Tolvanen for Kessel, based on rumors of Tolvanen being offered to Ottawa for Duchene at the deadline, and you can come up with quite a few appealing packages with Tolvanen included. My favorite would be Smith and Tolvanen for Kessel, which is both a realistic and good trade for both teams.

That's probably better than anything Arizona would realistically offer, because the equivalent package would probably be Panik and pick #14. I'd still take the Predators package over that because I'd rather have a guy further along in his development over a higher pick this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad