Value of: Kessel to the Coyotes

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
AZ will probably trade their first round pick+ for Kessel. Wouldn’t be a bad fit actually, I think it would be a good trade. Gives the Pens the opportunity to restock the cupboards too.

NHL WAR

Sep 29, 2018
Could be a good fit. He and Tocchet supossedly had a productive relationship. Kessel playing on a line with Clayton Keller would be filthy as well.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
AZ will probably trade their first round pick+ for Kessel. Wouldn’t be a bad fit actually, I think it would be a good trade. Gives the Pens the opportunity to restock the cupboards too.

Arizona shouldn't be trading their first. They're not particularly close to contending and Kessel will be 32 at the start of the next season. By the time Arizona is ready to compete, he'll be gone. Makes no sense.

FinnishCoyote

Jan 3, 2017
Then Chychrun + Goligoski (50%) + Archibald

for

Kessel + Maatta + Riikola + Jarry

Our LHD is set long-term with OEL and Chychrun for the next 6 years, doubt that either is avaible, also our with out budget we aren't paying 2,5m per year to Goose for not playing.

I'd be interested in Kessel, if for some reason he's avaible for cheap, but wouldn't want to sacrifice our future for soon to be 32 year old winger.

Reactions: Weiss1604

Trade

Guentzel is ELITE
Apr 13, 2015
Our LHD is set long-term with OEL and Chychrun for the next 6 years, doubt that either is avaible, also our with out budget we aren't paying 2,5m per year to Goose for not playing.

I'd be interested in Kessel, if for some reason he's avaible for cheap, but wouldn't want to sacrifice our future for soon to be 32 year old winger.
Why would a PPG winger making 6.8m who elevates his game in the Playoffs be available for cheap?

Getting rid of Kessel is not addition by subtraction. We either need a top-6 caliber replacement+ player or prospect or a top 4 LD++ to play with Schultz.

Otherwise, we just won’t trade him.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Arizona shouldn't be trading their first. They're not particularly close to contending and Kessel will be 32 at the start of the next season. By the time Arizona is ready to compete, he'll be gone. Makes no sense.

They missed the playoff by only a couple of points while half of their team was injury at some point in the season. They probably don’t have a winning core but they sure as hell have a core that is able to make the playoff and at this point in the franchise, making the playoff and being somewhat relevant again in Arizona is a big, big win for the franchise.

I’m not sure what value Kessel have. I hope Arizona doesn’t have to put their first on the table but if they do, it’s still going to be a good move toward their goal of playing meaningful hockey in April.

The “Let’s build through the draft” mentality Arizona has used in the past decade didn’t work because they had no veteran to lead the way. It was basically a “We draft, develop players and when they finally reach their potential we have to trade them at the TDL because they’re going to be UFA. Rinse & repeat”

Reactions: rodney dangerfield

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex

A PPG won't be cheap.

Reactions: domaug

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
They missed the playoff by only a couple of points while half of their team was injury at some point in the season. They probably don’t have a winning core but they sure as hell have a core that is able to make the playoff and at this point in the franchise, making the playoff and being somewhat relevant again in Arizona is a big, big win for the franchise.

I’m not sure what value Kessel have. I hope Arizona doesn’t have to put their first on the table but if they do, it’s still going to be a good move toward their goal of playing meaningful hockey in April.

The “Let’s build through the draft” mentality Arizona has used in the past decade didn’t work because they had no veteran to lead the way. It was basically a “We draft, develop players and when they finally reach their potential we have to trade them at the TDL because they’re going to be UFA. Rinse & repeat”

The fact that they nearly made the playoffs with all the injuries they had is precisely why they should stay the course and keep their 1st. They need to acquire good talent to play with their current core.

By the way, they have plenty of veterans on the roster. Grabner, Richardson, Stepan, OEL, Demers, Goligoski and Hjalmarsson. And veterans don't keep players from going to free agency.

Arizona should be interested in Kessel. They should not be interested in trading their 1st, Hayton, OEL, etc to get him.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Kessel definitely makes sense for the Coyotes. Arizona has to try and take the next step. Arizona also counts real dollars and Kessel's contract was front loaded. In real dollars he's owed 19M over 3 seasons but 15% is paid by the Leafs so really they'd owe him roughly 16M over 3 seasons. Not often a PPG player is available for just over 5M.

However, the Pens window to win is only open for the next few seasons so they'd only be looking to get pieces that can make an impact or very soon so unless the Yotes are ready to deal Hayton or Chychrun I don't see a deal. A 1st rounder this year or next won't make an impact for at least a few seasons and the Pens won't waste Crosby & Malkin's last few top end years like that.

Reactions: KIRK and Trade

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Kessel definitely makes sense for the Coyotes. Arizona has to try and take the next step. Arizona also counts real dollars and Kessel's contract was front loaded. In real dollars he's owed 19M over 3 seasons but 15% is paid by the Leafs so really they'd owe him roughly 16M over 3 seasons. Not often a PPG player is available for just over 5M.

However, the Pens window to win is only open for the next few seasons so they'd only be looking to get pieces that can make an impact now or very soon so unless the Yotes are ready to deal Hayton or Chychrun I don't see a deal.

I can guarantee you Hayton will be nowhere near a Kessel deal, and don't hold your breath for Chychrun either.

Reactions: Weiss1604

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Why would a PPG winger making 6.8m who elevates his game in the Playoffs be available for cheap?

Getting rid of Kessel is not addition by subtraction. We either need a top-6 caliber replacement+ player or prospect or a top 4 LD++ to play with Schultz.

Otherwise, we just won’t trade him.
Goligoski+Fischer+ARI’19 2nd(45th)

Reactions: Golden Puppers

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
I can guarantee you Hayton will be nowhere near a Kessel deal, and don't hold your breath for Chychrun either.

Fair enough. So then the Pens would just look to deal him elsewhere.

Carolina needs an elite point getter, has the pieces to deal and would like that his contract is his front loaded. Same for the Avs and he'd instantly address their lack of a good 2nd scoring line.

Reactions: domaug

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Fair enough. So then the Pens would just look to deal him elsewhere.

Carolina needs an elite point getter, has the pieces to deal and would like that his contract is his front loaded. Same for the Avs and he'd instantly address their lack of a good 2nd scoring line.

Gotta wonder if Kessel is willing to waive his NMC for either of those.

Frankly, you're limited because he decides if and where he goes. You don't get to decide that you can just trade him to Colorado or Carolina for your kings ransom.

Reactions: Mosby

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Gotta wonder if Kessel is willing to waive his NMC for either of those.

Frankly, you're limited because he decides if and where he goes. You don't get to decide that you can just trade him to Colorado or Carolina for your kings ransom.

Same can be said about Kessel waiving for the Coyotes.

Canes & Avs both have deeper systems to deal from and are more competitive so......

Trade

Guentzel is ELITE
Apr 13, 2015
Goligoski+Fischer+ARI’19 2nd(45th)
Some pens fans are enamored with the thought of bringing Goligoski back, I’m not one of them. He’ll be 34 in July. Easy pass for me.

I know pretty much nothing about Fischer but he doesn’t entice me enough as a main piece for Phil after a quick glance.

Reactions: TNT87 and domaug

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Same can be said about Kessel waiving for the Coyotes.

Canes & Avs both have deeper systems to deal from and are more competitive so......

Coyotes have already been linked to Kessel trade talks. If Arizona wasn't on his accept list there wouldn't have been talks. There's a coach there that he's familiar with and likes playing for.
Carolina and Colorado finishing 8th while Arizona finishes 9th probably isn't a concern for Kessel at this point.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
To ARI:
Phil Kessel

To PIT:
‘19ARI 1st (14th)
‘19ARI 3rd (76th)

I think there's value to that - as someone who very much enjoys scouting, extra picks make me [salivate] (family board)...that said, the Penguins have a GM who probably shouldn't be buying green bananas at this point, and probably won't. Look at the trades Pittsburgh has made, they didn't bother to liquidate anything...Hagelin (speed) for a little bit more size, slightly more imposing player in Pearson (who had term)...Sprong (speed and skill) for a defensive player in Pettersson...Pearson went out again for a tougher Gudbranson...Jack Johnson (slower, tougher) welcomed, Trevor Daley (mobile) was allowed to escape...Brassard, for all his warts, fine...but brought in bigger, slower Bjugstad and, to buck the trend slightly, Jared McCann who has good wheels and a good shot, but isn't very talented in space...Garrett Wilson plays, etc. Crosby adapted his game and actually deserved Selke consideration for the first regular season of his career.

So the pattern is away from speed and skill...so from that perspective, moving Kessel makes sense. But, I don't think it will be done for a chance to draft speed and skill either...

I don't think it's a secret that the Penguins felt like the speed/skill game has run its course. They didn't want to be given a swirly by Tom Wilson or Josh Anderson in a playoff series and I don't think there's a desire to expose Murray to the firewagon hockey that maybe we could have gotten away with in the past. So speed went out, bigger bodies came in. Can you blame them when you see who advances? Isles, Caps, Blue Jackets, and if Boston pulls out two, Boston...teams that tried to play with a lot of tempo and pace and skill, they've been rebuffed...Tampa, Toronto could be an exception in fairness, Buffalo was in first place, they lost 25 in a row, I get that NJ and Detroit aren't ready for this, but them too for these purposes...

Anyway, this is a long, disjointed way of saying: I can't imagine GMJR liquidating a piece like this. Even if it kind of makes sense both ways value wise, he doesn't mind taking 80 cents for a dollar...he does seem to mind liquidating an asset...so if Chayka calls and says 14 for Phil straight across, I think JR counters with some combo of mismatched parts like Hinistroza, the big American kid who went from the Program to Windsor whose name escapes me at the moment, Lawson Crouse...some guys like that...

Whether I support that (or this whole notion in general) or not, is of no moment...but I would be pretty surprised to see them off load that many goals, and a multi-line puck carrier for a pick...I think JR is a little too old...school...and I think his trigger finger is a little too itchy for that...

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad