Value of: Kessel to the Coyotes

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
The fact that they nearly made the playoffs with all the injuries they had is precisely why they should stay the course and keep their 1st. They need to acquire good talent to play with their current core.

By the way, they have plenty of veterans on the roster. Grabner, Richardson, Stepan, OEL, Demers, Goligoski and Hjalmarsson. And veterans don't keep players from going to free agency.

Arizona should be interested in Kessel. They should not be interested in trading their 1st, Hayton, OEL, etc to get him.

That’s exactly what I said. I replied to someone who said that Kessel wasn’t a good fit for Arizona. All I said was that they should build on their good performance this year and Kessel (with his quite low cap hit) should be a very interesting grab, if they can do it without having to add their first round pick.

Of course, Hayton is an untouchable. That’s not even a debate

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Goligoski+Fischer+ARI’19 2nd(45th)

Goligoski wouldn't work because JR seems to think the defense is the best he has ever had here. It seems safe to assume that he won't want any defensemen coming back for Kessel, their defense will mostly be staying the same with trading Maatta for cap space.

The 14th pick+ for Kessel is a really logical deal, the bickering will be about the additional piece on top of that. Seeing how Kessel was traded for Kapanen, Harrington and a 1st 4 years ago (basically the equivalent of 2 1sts and a 2nd) in a situation where Toronto was bent over a barrel, I struggle to see him bringing back less than a 1st and a 2nd or a 1st and a decent prospect. If a 1st and Fischer is too much, I'd throw out a 1st and Merkley as an alternative.

Reactions: domaug

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
not sure why a trade offer like this would move the needle for the Pens.
Well I guess we need to understand what the Penguins are trying to accomplish this off-season. We don’t really know what the inner workings are. Which rumors are true, and which are false? Tough to know.

It seems likely Pittsburgh would be interested in making a major change. It seems possible there is some truth to long standing rumors they’re looking to move on from Kessel.

So if they’ve made their minds up that Kessel is the odd man out, they’ve got two options; a hockey trade or a trade for assets and flexibility. Given Kessel has a 23 team NTC, it might be easier to work out a trade that looks more like the latter than the former. Maybe not, but maybe so.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Well I guess we need to understand what the Penguins are trying to accomplish this off-season. We don’t really know what the inner workings are. Which rumors are true, and which are false? Tough to know.

It seems likely Pittsburgh would be interested in making a major change. It seems possible there is some truth to long standing rumors they’re looking to move on from Kessel.

So if they’ve made their minds up that Kessel is the odd man out, they’ve got two options; a hockey trade or a trade for assets and flexibility. Given Kessel has a 23 team NTC, it might be easier to work out a trade that looks more like the latter than the former. Maybe not, but maybe so.

A major change isn't a rebuild, therefore a 1st and 3rd does not move the needle at all. Kessel scored 83 and 92 points the last two years, which were the two most productive of his career. He makes 6.8M/year, which is fantastic for his production. Going to need some production in return..

Reactions: That1Kid

rt

May 13, 2004
A major change isn't a rebuild, therefore a 1st and 3rd does not move the needle at all. Kessel scored 83 and 92 points the last two years, which were the two most productive of his career. He makes 6.8M/year, which is fantastic for his production. Going to need some production in return..
It will be interesting to see if Pittsburgh can find that fit without any parlay (of assets or flexibility).

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I agree that Pittsburgh may want more immediate assets instead of draft picks.

I just don't think there will be many teams on Kessel's list that have the cap space and/or interest in Kessel.

AZ has Tocchet so I get the connection but at his age he doesn't nescessarily fit what they are targeting.

rt

May 13, 2004
I agree that Pittsburgh may want more immediate assets instead of draft picks.

I just don't think there will be many teams on Kessel's list that have the cap space and/or interest in Kessel.

AZ has Tocchet so I get the connection but at his age he doesn't nescessarily fit what they are targeting.
If Duchene signs in Nashville as rumors suggest he may, perhaps Pittsburgh can acquire Turris? If they have the space freed up by dealing Kessel for flexibility.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Lol, would be another terrible gamble by chayka.

Kessel will be 32 to open the season, buying on guys on the back 9 of their career is what made the coyotes a perpetually fringe team for the last 15 years

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Kessel will be 32 to open the season, buying on guys on the back 9 of their career is what made the coyotes a perpetually fringe team for the last 15 years

He’s only signed for a few more years, just had a PPG season and hasnt shown any signs of slowing down (yet). I’d say as far as risk management goes Kessel isn’t too much of a gamble

rt

May 13, 2004

The Coyotes are an abomination. No doubt about that. Buying on older players is absolutely not the reason why. That’s not even in the top five. :)

Reactions: Mosby and ck26

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
Arizona shouldn't be trading their first. They're not particularly close to contending and Kessel will be 32 at the start of the next season. By the time Arizona is ready to compete, he'll be gone. Makes no sense.
I don't get this. Arizona was knocking on the door of the playoffs this season. I'm sure with an addition like Kessel, which would address what I think their biggest need is, they could get in next season. And as this playoffs is showing, you don't need to be a top seed to make noise. No such thing as a true playoff contender anymore. Anyone in the dance can win.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
He’s only signed for a few more years, just had a PPG season and hasnt shown any signs of slowing down (yet). I’d say as far as risk management goes Kessel isn’t too much of a gamble

Kessel will not be putting up 90+ pt seasons anymore after he leaves pit and especially not even close to that if he is traded to Arizona

rt

May 13, 2004
Kessel will not be putting up 90+ pt seasons anymore after he leaves pit and especially not even close to that if he is traded to Arizona
Not a single Coyote had 20 goals this season. Not a single Coyote has 50 points this season. Our leading scorer had 47 points. We had to send him to the All-Star game. It was humiliating.

Reactions: That1Kid

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Not a single Coyote had 20 goals this season. Not a single Coyote has 50 points this season. Our leading scorer had 47 points. We had to send him to the All-Star game. It was humiliating.
But that's why Kessel is such an odd fit

If Arizona is going to play this grind it out 200 from game where scoring will be a universal issue on the team, that's fine, but then a 32 year old Kessel is not the guy to fit in with that style

Additionally, Rutherford is surely going to be looking to get strong assets back to try and turn PIT around. He surely isn't going to be selling Kessel off for scraps. Is Arizona comfortable or should they be giving away top assets for a player who is at an age exiting his prime who doesn't fit their team style of play?

If you can get kessel for peanuts and absolutely fleece Rutherford, then sure, Arizona should do it eight days a week.

Just sounds like Kessel would likely cost Arizona their 1st pick at minimum

rt

May 13, 2004
But that's why Kessel is such an odd fit

If Arizona is going to play this grind it out 200 from game where scoring will be a universal issue on the team, that's fine...Kessel is not the guy to fit in with the style...

That’s not what Arizona is trying to do. They just don’t have the talent. Enter Kessel. He’s a fit for Tocchet’s system both stylistically and talent-wise to get things moving offensively. The whole point of the rumor is that Kessel is known to Tocchet, it’s apparently a good fit, and Kessel satisfies perfectly what Arizona desperately needs (apart from being 32 which is the major issue).

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
In a vacuum, I don't hate the idea of Kessel for a 1st and 3rd. However, I also don't trust Rutherford to make good use of the cap space it would open up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad