Value of: Kessel to the Coyotes

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
What should be interesting to see is whether Nashville calls the Penguins about Kessel. They just lost in the 1st round in large part due to a terrible powerplay, and Kessel has QBed the Penguins powerplay to the league's 2nd best PP in the last 3 years (6th this year, 1st last year and 3rd in 2016-2017 with an injured Letang). I would be surprised for the Predators to be unwilling to offer Tolvanen for Kessel, based on rumors of Tolvanen being offered to Ottawa for Duchene at the deadline, and you can come up with quite a few appealing packages with Tolvanen included. My favorite would be Smith and Tolvanen for Kessel, which is both a realistic and good trade for both teams.

That's probably better than anything Arizona would realistically offer, because the equivalent package would probably be Panik and pick #14. I'd still take the Predators package over that because I'd rather have a guy further along in his development over a higher pick this year.

Yep, with some teams falling out earlier than expected in the playoffs I think the market for Kessel has increased. Nashville makes a lot of sense, especially if they move PK and have more flexibility. I don't see why they wouldn't be on Kessel's list but that is a factor.

The teams I think who could offer a more attractive package than AZ and are most likely on his list are Minnesota (something around Zucker) or Nashville (futures). AZ's leverage is the trade pieces likely don't affect Pittsburgh's cap, which allows them to explore options in UFA or trade, Nashville may be able to out a futures package together that is just as attractive.

Reactions: Freedom

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
Yeah, the potential market for 81 has definitely taken a turn in the last week. Arizona is a natural/coaching fit, Nashville a long rumored destination, and I honestly think Calgary could do with the scoring punch they didnt get with Neal.

All three teams have good assets on D, the capspace to easily take 6.8M (and the 70-80 points that will come with it) assuming its via trade, and all of them would be great spots for Phil, IMO. Spots where he can stay out of the media spotlight, drive his own line, be a top PP guy, and give every team an explosive offensive asset they didnt have before.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Yep, with some teams falling out earlier than expected in the playoffs I think the market for Kessel has increased. Nashville makes a lot of sense, especially if they move PK and have more flexibility. I don't see why they wouldn't be on Kessel's list but that is a factor.

The teams I think who could offer a more attractive package than AZ and are most likely on his list are Minnesota (something around Zucker) or Nashville (futures). AZ's leverage is the trade pieces likely don't affect Pittsburgh's cap, which allows them to explore options in UFA or trade, Nashville may be able to out a futures package together that is just as attractive.
Not sure how Coyotes fans feel about it, but I think I'd rather deal with Arizona when it comes to Zucker.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Is Connauton just there for salary purposes? Doesn't make much difference to me; I assume he'd end up in Iowa.
Yes. Salary. Rau is there to balance contracts.

That said, KConn did have a great year in 2017-2018. He had 10 goals, and played both LD and RD, up and down the blueline, and was a specialty teams back-up. He might surprise you. If not, most of his cap-hit can definitely be buried in Iowa.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Why would they want Kessel? He's not new player anymore. I think the player they really want is Matthews. It would take an overpayment but it's possible as that's where Matthews is from and he would play there.

Reactions: greasysnapper

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Why would they want Kessel? He's not new player anymore. I think the player they really want is Matthews. It would take an overpayment but it's possible as that's where Matthews is from and he would play there.

I mean even if it's a pie in the sky idea, going after Matthews as a RFA offer sheet has to be priority 1 for them until he signs one way or the other.

That being said, the Coyotes don't actually have a ton of cap space to play around with here, so if it wasn't something like a Matthews, I can't imagine them going after Kessel.

Freedom

Jan 23, 2017
Czech republic

I agree with you but think that if there will be Kessel's trade between PIT and Nashville, roster Defenseman will go to PIT.

Trade

Guentzel is ELITE
Apr 13, 2015
Crouse is a unique player on their roster. The Coyotes need his size and aggressiveness. He is 21 and just starting to play to his potential. Not available.
Kessel would be 1,000 times more unique in comparison to the rest of the roster than Crouse, but I get your sentiment.

Is that a standpoint that exists from within the organization as well?

domaug

Play Virtua Fighter, let's go Pens
Sep 28, 2017
up de Eynon
doesn't seem worth it to discuss any deal with Arizona fans. they only want to give up one or two picks for a PPG winger.

Reactions: 66-30-33

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Crouse is a unique player on their roster. The Coyotes need his size and aggressiveness. He is 21 and just starting to play to his potential. Not available.

I know...thats why I want him. ;)

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
doesn't seem worth it to discuss any deal with Arizona fans. they only want to give up one or two picks for a PPG winger.
With a NMC. PK has the final say.
Pens don't have any leverage. And with the expansion draft coming up and most teams wanting to get younger. Slim pickings.

Reactions: ck26

FinnishCoyote

Jan 3, 2017

Yeah, we aren't super interested in him, but if he comes cheap, why not? When we haven't even made playoffs yet, there is no point to sacrifice our future by tearing down our young core or give up our all high picks for 32 year old winger

Reactions: ck26

domaug

Play Virtua Fighter, let's go Pens
Sep 28, 2017
up de Eynon
Pens don't have any leverage. And with the expansion draft coming up and most teams wanting to get younger. Slim pickings.
even given all that, he's worth more than the crud a lot of Coyotes fans have proposed for him.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Yes they do? They can keep him. Who is saying they have to trade him? Kessel also doesn't have a full NTC.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad