Value of: Kessel to the Coyotes

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
That’s not what Arizona is trying to do. They just don’t have the talent. Enter Kessel. He’s a fit for Tocchet’s system both stylistically and talent-wise to get things moving offensively. The whole point of the rumor is that Kessel is known to Tocchet, it’s apparently a good fit, and Kessel satisfies perfectly what Arizona desperately needs (apart from being 32 which is the major issue).

His age isn't a big issue. He's signed for 3 more years, while not great if he stagnates, isn't awful at 6.8 million.

And if you're tired of him in 2 years, you can trade him as an expiring in 2021.

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
The last Coyote player to break 70 points in a season was Ray Whitney as a 39 year old in 2011-12. So I'm open to bringing in old man Kessel.:sarcasm:

Reactions: Trade

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
To ARI:
Phil Kessel

To PIT:
‘19ARI 1st (14th)
‘19ARI 3rd (76th)

Some Pens fans hate this.. I like it [If we're moving on from Phil].

Not everything has to be a strict hockey trade (though we're immediately drafting two players so it basically is..). I'll take the cap space and change of scenery in a Kessel deal; certainly when compared to trading him for some average middle-pair defensemen making 4-5M+. Moving Kessel and Maatta changes nearly 11M in cap space for us, with some of that going towards player raises.

Reactions: ChaosAgent

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

I hope Arizona does get him so he can go beast mode for the Assistant Coach responsible for our style of play and the 2 cups.

It'll be nice to see Phil Kessel used properly again.

I wouldn't, but our GM has a hard on for the guy.
And then our coach will trot him out as a 3C and then wonder why he sucks and isn't producing with less ice time and 2nd pp unit.

Last edited:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Kessel + Maatta + Jarry + 1st

for

OEL + Archibald
Let's ignore the fact that OEL is far more important to that roster than adding Jarry, our lower 1st, and Kessel and whatever Maatta might be in a system that preaches speed that Tocchet likely won't want Maatta anywhere near....

You want to add Archibald back to this roster?

Lol.

Sullivan is the reason Archibald got traded in the first place, then people preach our coach loves SPEED!!

OEL would only ever be moved if they got back a franchise type player in return and only a team that has a bunch of potential franchise type players on their team, can make an offer like that.

We're not one of them.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I like the idea of Kessel to the Coyotes but I am loathe to the idea of trading the 1st round pick or any premium young asset for an older player (past his prime?) that has had the luxury of a lot of ice time with Malkin. Coyotes have nothing even close to Malkin and I worry Kessel is a 50 - 60 point guy on the Coyotes..

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I like the idea of Kessel to the Coyotes but I am loathe to the idea of trading the 1st round pick or any premium young asset for an older player (past his prime?) that has had the luxury of a lot of ice time with Malkin. Coyotes have nothing even close to Malkin and I worry Kessel is a 50 - 60 point guy on the Coyotes..

If you think at 31-32 that Phil Kessel is past his prime, after having a ppg season on a "bad season"...jeez bud. Don't know how to explain this to you without getting in trouble.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Kessel has had 36, 42 and 30 PP points in the last 3 years while mostly being the Penguins PPQB. Even without Crosby and Malkin, he should be a pretty safe bet to hit 25-30 PP points if the powerplay is running through him (which I'm positive Tocchet would set it up to do). Seeing how Kessel hasn't had fewer than 40 ES points since 2014-2015, I feel like a logical point projection for Kessel in Arizona would be 65-75 points. People just citing him playing with Crosby or Malkin don't pay attention to how he actually does with those guys.

There's not a chance that Kessel is only a 50-60 point player on Arizona. Throwing out 50 points as a possibility is just ridiculous to begin with, but the Coyotes would need to have an incompetent powerplay for him to only hit 60 points too. Playing with Crosby and Malkin isn't a 20-30 point boost for Kessel.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I think if Kessel is dealt he'll go for 14th overall and a B+ type prospect (similar to Tage Thompson in the O'Reilly deal).

Maybe with Grabner in the deal as well. Helps the Coyotes shed almost 4 million. He didn't have a great season but he's sort of a known quantity in the NHL and has two years left at around 3 million.

FinnishCoyote

Jan 3, 2017
I think if Kessel is dealt he'll go for 14th overall and a B+ type prospect (similar to Tage Thompson in the O'Reilly deal).

Maybe with Grabner in the deal as well. Helps the Coyotes shed almost 4 million. He didn't have a great season but he's sort of a known quantity in the NHL and has two years left at around 3 million.

Grabner was fantastic for us last season when he was healthy.

Reactions: Mosby and ck26

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
Some Pens fans hate this.. I like it [If we're moving on from Phil].

Not everything has to be a strict hockey trade (though we're immediately drafting two players so it basically is..). I'll take the cap space and change of scenery in a Kessel deal; certainly when compared to trading him for some average middle-pair defensemen making 4-5M+. Moving Kessel and Maatta changes nearly 11M in cap space for us, with some of that going towards player raises.
Yeah but we are still in our cup window and would need to replace Phil’s hole in the lineup.

I would take that trade easily if we could sign a solid free agent with the saved cap. Like Simmonds, but that’s far from a guarantee

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014

There's a real chance they get more value for Kessel now than the Leafs did 4 years ago when he was better.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Kessel + Maatta + Jarry + 1st

for

OEL + Archibald
wait, what??? Pittsburgh would be lucky to get 140A for Kessel straight up.....and Coyotes would probably demand salary retention of that deal happens.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ

Grabner missed 41 games due to what could've been a career ending eye injury. At the time of the injury many felt he was the Coyotes MVP. He fits the AZ system well and would guess he'll finish his career in AZ.

Kessel (15% retained) for 14OA.

Last edited:

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
Grabner missed 41 games due to,what could've been a career ending eye injury. At the time of the injury many felt he was the Coyotes MVP. He fits the AZ system well and would guess he'll finish his career in AZ.

Kessel is already a bargain at 6.8 million. You’re not getting any retention, and even if you did it would cost way more than just the 14th OA.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
I guess we'll see.

6.8M for a ppg player (who plays every night) in a world where the cap has risen/is rising is tremendous value. There's absolutely zero reason to retain on Kessel- that notion is ridiculous. Plus his term is great as the gaining team has him for 3 years, which is a realistic window for a team on the rise or contending now.

With some of the contracts we've seen the past two summers - along with what we'll see THIS summer - you'd be hard pressed to think of Kessel's contract as rich.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Any thought of trading Letang is dumb.

He's on Malkin level of unavailable.

Kessel is gone and will help bring back some assets.

Dvorak+Schmaltz for Kessel? Is that good for AZ fans?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Grabner missed 41 games due to what could've been a career ending eye injury. At the time of the injury many felt he was the Coyotes MVP. He fits the AZ system well and would guess he'll finish his career in AZ.

That's an insulting offer for Kessel. Why wouldn't the Penguins keep him if that's the best they can get?

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
6.8M for a ppg player (who plays every night) in a world where the cap has risen/is rising is tremendous value. There's absolutely zero reason to retain on Kessel- that notion is ridiculous. Plus his term is great as the gaining team has him for 3 years, which is a realistic window for a team on the rise or contending now.

With some of the contracts we've seen the past two summers - along with what we'll see THIS summer - you'd be hard pressed to think of Kessel's contract as rich.

This is why we shouldn’t trade him at all:sarcasm:

Reactions: Freedom

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
never thougt id see a thread where people think michael grabner would be too much for Phil Kessel.

Wow

Michael grabner...some nothing player

Reactions: domaug

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
I think most Penguins fans agree with you, but we're not calling the shots here. The team is most likely trading Kessel regardless of how we feel about it.

Yeah I’m worried because it seems very real. Think we’re gonna regret it. Could be our Panarin to Columbus trade. He was one of the few guys who played well in the sweep so maybe the FO changed their mind.

Need more high end players like Phil. Especially with his contract. Not less.

Reactions: Trade

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad