Confirmed with Link: Kessel signs Contract Extension. (8x8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
I'll throw this out there:

If Kessel scores averages 33 goals per season over the next 9 years, he'll pass Sundin for the franchise lead in goals scored

By the end of the 8 yr contract he could lead a few more categories as well...espcially if he does actually retire in Toronto he'll pass the franchise games played.

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
Aren't those the same tools that said Leafs need to trade Kessel + Gardiner + for Nash and get a franchise player?

If Kessel was Canadian, he would be getting a lot more respect. Too bad he's American..

I think it's hilarious because Mac praises Nash every single day, and Nash has won less, and performed at a lower level of production than Phil.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Yep, MacLean still thinks Nash is a guy to build around, and Kessel isn't.

it's sad.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
What track record is that?

Not playing well enough in the playoffs or his best year being three years ago?

It's a joke that some people consider Parise to be the better player.

Damn it. I'm an internet moron.

It's supposed to be a link of the stoner dog saying "Intangibles man"

I Am The Stig

SPACESHIP!!
Oct 19, 2011
Please don't use this stat to prop up anybody as it was not a valid stat when he finished -29. I personally believe that it is an indication of somebody who knows how to play two way hockey and his -29 was an indication of the opposite....but clearly most on this board refuse to give +/- any validity.

Well we all noticed last year that he was playing a two way game under Carlyle and I don't see that changing at all in the near future. I mean all I can say is that if he continues to perform like he did last year, he well earned his contract.

Sergei Berezin

You're Wrong
Jan 5, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Meh, who really cares what any of these people think?

They were all sure that Kessel was gone after this season anyway. Now they're replacing that with, 'he's **** anyway'.

I'd take Kessel over Perry any day of the week and those goons praised that contract so, again... meh.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I'm pleasantly surprised with the reaction over at the Bruins board. Their reviews are generally positive.

Unlike the Sens and Hab fans...they actually know hockey and remain unbiased.

If the Sens owner wasn't so cheap and they could have signed Kessel, their fans would LOVE Kessel at 8M.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto

Damn it. I'm an internet moron.

It's supposed to be a link of the stoner dog saying "Intangibles man"

I actually need to correct that statement. Parise's best year was FOUR years ago.

He wasn't even the reason the Devils made the Cup Finals...that's all on Kovalchuk and Henrique.

66 playoff games, 44 points for a top line forward making 7.5M bucks for the next 10+ years. That's pathetic.

5 games 1 goal against Chicago. That's it. If that's good...I am so glad Kessel sucks.

hockeyfanz*

Meh, who really cares what any of these people think?

They were all sure that Kessel was gone after this season anyway. Now they're replacing that with, 'he's **** anyway'.

I'd take Kessel over Perry any day of the week and those goons praised that contract so, again... meh.

I love Phil..one of my faves on the Buds..but I gotta say..no chance to the bolded. Not in a billion years.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
What track record is that?

Not playing well enough in the playoffs or his best year being three years ago?

It's a joke that some people consider Parise to be the better player.

Putting up a 0.06 point per game pace better than Kessel...

Or probably scoring at a 0.013 goal per game pace better than Kessel scores at.

It's all good, us Leaf fans know what we got in Kessel

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
I actually need to correct that statement. Parise's best year was FOUR years ago.

He wasn't even the reason the Devils made the Cup Finals...that's all on Kovalchuk and Henrique.

66 playoff games, 44 points for a top line forward making 7.5M bucks for the next 10+ years. That's pathetic.

5 games 1 goal against Chicago. That's it. If that's good...I am so glad Kessel sucks.

It's part of being a Leaf fan. Comes with the territory.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
I think the big issue that the more level headed non-Leaf fans have is that it's fairly close to market value for Phil.

The thing is, I'm pretty sure this is going to be the norm. Teams will almost have to pay market value for their stars because of the limit on term. No fancy lawyering their way to an artificially lower cap hit.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=433171

Phil Kessel's future in Toronto was secured on Tuesday.

The 25-year-old winger officially signed an eight-year contract extension with the Toronto Maple Leafs.

The deal is believed to be worth an average annual value of $8 million and is believed to include a limited no-trade clause.

"I always wanted to be (in Toronto)," Kessel said at a press conference in Montreal Tuesday. "This is the place I want to play. I want to finish my career here. It's a great city, the organization's unbelievable, and I'm really excited to continue here."

Talks are believed to have intensified this weekend between the two sides in hopes of getting an extension done before the puck drops on the 2013-14 season in Montreal Tuesday night.

According to TSN Hockey Insider Bob McKenzie the deal is believed to include a signing bonus in its first year as well as another in a later year in the term.

The Leafs did not start intense negotiations with Kessel until they heard from the winger that he was committed to staying in Toronto long term, according to TSN Hockey Insider Pierre LeBrun. Leafs general manager Dave Nonis put great importance on Kessel's commitment to the team and waited to hear that from the 25-year-old before working on the extension. The two had a one-on-one meeting last week where Kessel gave Nonis the assurances he sought.

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
Glad this is all wrapped up. I was bracing myself for endless media induced controversy on this.

In the end Kessel signed for what everyone expected him to and was probably the easiest contract Nonis has had so far in Toronto.

Complete no-brainer. Both sides wanted a long term deal, there was no doubt in my mind that Kessel wanted to stay.

mikebel111*

yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so happy.

there was a source that said thet an extension was close. One of our top players locked up. phaneuf next.

Ed Belfour

Nov 9, 2011
Toronto
Love this deal, and love that Kessel is a Leaf for a long time. Excellent work by Nonis to get this done before the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad