Confirmed with Link: Kessel signs Contract Extension. (8x8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
Why did the Edmonton 3 get $6M per?

Because the whole cap think is screwed. Think about it a guy like Clarkson got $5.2M, a guy like Horton got $7.5M a guy like Weiss got $6m, so if your going by the flawed cap system, Hall/Eberle/RNH are worth what they got.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
http://pmd.fan590.com/audio_on_dema...ef-and-Sid-Seixeiro-ts-20131001-Interview.mp3

Phil Kessel's Agent Wade Arnott On New Deal

Wade Arnott, the agent for Phil Kessel, discusses the process of negotiating an eight-year, $64M deal with the Toronto Maple Leafs for his client.

http://pmd.fan590.com/audio_on_dema...os-and-Doug-MacLean-hc-20131001-Interview.mp3

Leafs GM Dave Nonis On Re-Signing Phil Kessel

Toronto Maple Leafs GM Dave Nonis joined Hockey Central @ Noon to explain his rationale for signing forward Phil Kessel to an eight-year, $64M deal with the club.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Kessel is far from overpaid, his new deal starts next season. Christ 9 years from now 8 million may be league minimum.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
In 7 years it could also be league max.

He got what he would have got as UFA, but there is no guarantee the economy will support it in the future.

We just assume, as humans, that everything will be fine.
Th cap can't drop below 64.3, so he could never be at the max salary.

The cba and his contract both expire in 2021-22

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
He got what he would have got as UFA, but there is no guarantee the economy will support it in the future.

Thats not possible. There is a floor, and the cap cannot drop below that. Afraid the sky is not falling on this scenario, as much as some here would relish the idea.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009

realistically the cap isnt going to be lower in 7 years then it is now. i think it is reasonable to assume the cap is going to go up slightly every season for 7 years. if it conservatively goes up $3 million we are talking about an increase cap of $21 million after 7 years. the cap dropped this past season from ~$70 million to $64.3 million and it handcuffed may teams cap wise and the league needed to give teams 2 amnesty buyouts. if the cap dropped over $20 million i would think the league would be in serious trouble and kessels contract would be the least of our worries.

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Brunner is a potential 30 goal scorer he signed for 2.5 as an ufa
Wheeler is a 5.6 as a rfa

me personally I would have traded Kessel rather than sign him long term at franchise type money and keeping his buddy bozak

but they didn't and its over and happy to watch a competitive leafs team

Traded the team's best player for a diminished return just so the Leafs didn't have to pay him what he would get from the majority of the other teams? Why do you think the Leafs need to be run like some low budget team? What does it matter if the Leafs spend all of their cap space? Any player remotely as talented as Kessel would come with a similar cap, if not higher so why jettison an elite sniper for the off chance that the team can win a bidding war for another, similar player of Kessel's stature? Which player would that be anyway? As of now, any team trying to sign their own free agents have a HUGE advantage over another team. As to trades? What do you think an elite player is going to cost this team?
Also, neither of the players you mentioned there would come anywhere close to what Kessel does for the Leafs. Both of those players played on highly successful teams only to be let go or traded? Generally, when a player signs for such a low price, this means there was no interest (Raymond) and that is probably for a reason. I am not interested in watching a team of prospects and players that no one else wants just to save a few bucks that I really don't care if are saved or not. It would be nice that, just once on this site, if people had an idea, it could be fully formed with actual solutions instead of just criticisms. It's very easy to criticize without actually having to come up with a solution.

Tyler Biggs*

Considering the cap is going to shoot up in the upcoming years, this is an excellent signing for the Leafs and for Kessel. Glad to have one of the most pure goal scorers in the league locked up. Consistency, goals, and speed, 3 huge things that Kessel possesses.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Crosby is a 10.6 player when you ignore the artifically lowering the cap by low meaningless calary years on the end. Do the same for Parise and he's >10

8 for Kessel is fine under this CBA, if we had the option to artifically lower the cap hit by adding on 4 meaningless years of 2 million salaries on the end like has been done in most deal in the previous CBA then Kessel's AAV would have been 6

You might want to take a closer look, Kessel is pulling in just a shade under 10m per cash for the first 4 years.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
You might want to take a closer look, Kessel is pulling in just a shade under 10m per cash for the first 4 years.

Yes. But he doesn't have 3 extra years tacked on at 1 million that he has no intention of playing. Salary fluctuations are common. Barring injury he will play 8 yrs for 64 million. How he wants it divided matters little to the leafs.

The problem is when people sign 10million dollar contracts and say they are going to play for 1 million in 2023. I mean really? That will be like below minimum wage in the nhl at that time.

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
So far so good. Kessel is singlehandedly making up for his centre's lack of playmaking ability, that's what you need to pay the big bucks for. How many wingers can you name that perform like Phil with a Bozak as their centre even on the powerplay?

It's actualy quite incredible. As frustrating as it can sometimes be Kessel's non-physical game is also to the Leafs' benefit on an 8 year contract. The guy hasn't missed a game for 3 years (figners crossed).

Tyler Biggs*

Wtg kessel...3 points, outstanding eh Bruins fans. By the way, how's Seguin doing. Oh I forgot, he's with Dallas and I think he has an assist! WTG 'Phil the Thrill'

Kessel is dangerous every time he touches puck. Kessel and Lupul both tied for 2nd in league scoring...reminds me of 2 seasons ago when they were both top 10 (until Lupul's injury)...Leafs are not gonna have any problem filling the net!

Thank you, Kessel! Go Leafs go!

Last edited by a moderator:

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
I sincerely hope this doesn't diminish Kessels already weak compete level. C'mon Phil let's see you repay the team for having this kind of faith in you. No lollygagging!!!
Sorry about the Bad News.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Sorry about the Bad News.

I told you's guys!

If he's performing in the top 10 for PP he should be payed like one ($8 plus)...but he should also be deducted for being a defensive liability (subtract $1.5 million)...so he should get around $6.5 with some term and security.

Based on his offensive point totals, the starting point is $8 million

Deduct from that the fact that Kessel is a defensive liability and soft as butter and the figure you should arrive at is about $6-7 million.

$8M (PP production and ES offensive production)
$1.5M (No PK contribution and minimal effort ES defensively)
$6.5M (average long-term cap hit)

When people make costly mistakes in the workplace, they either have to fix it, pay it back to the company, or leave.

Since we can't assume Kessel will ever put in a good effort in playing two-way hockey seeing as he hasn't done it for his entire career, and since we don't really want him to leave, he will have to pay back the Leafs for his ineffective and most times non-existant two-way game.

What's fair is fair.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad