Confirmed with Link: Kessel signs Contract Extension. (8x8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

That hair though.. (see chest hair) :laugh:

Felt bad for him - or as bad as you can feel for someone who just signed that kind of contract. He was sweating like a dog. He really does not like the camera.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
Ya I dont get that at all. What precludes the Leafs from finding a franchise type guy by signing Kessel? Because we dont have a Tavares, Toews, or Crosby we should just let Kessel go? Talk about ignorance

It's an examplle of why Doug is no longer a GM in this league.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
It was in response to posts stating Kessel gave you guys a discount. I'm just pointing out he did no such thing.

OK, thanks for addressing the rare post (in fact, I haven't seen one) stating the $8M AAV is a discount.

Why do you care enough to post in the Leaf forum?

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
kessel-all-star.jpeg

hockeyfanz*

I hope he gets over 80 points this year or the fans will be quick to throw him under the bus.

Here's the thing...when you are paid as one of the highest in the league at your position...you are expected to deliver. Fans have every right to throw players who sign large contracts and don't deliver, under the bus. I think Kessel will deliver but I don't believe in this nonsense..."Dont blame the player who signed because he wasn't the guy who gave out the contract"...that is cop-out BS. You fight tooth and nail with your agent to be paid what you believe you are worth. It doesn't end there. You have a commitment to perform up to standards or get ready for the boo birds and the media ripping you apart. Thats just. Thats right.

Nothing wrong with that.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
no, Millard is wrong.

You keep both Kessel and Phaneuf. You don't give away your elite players, ever.

I think the whole crew of them have absolutely no clue what they are talking about.

That said, I'm torn on Phaneuf. I'd love him back, I just struggle to see him as a $7 million a year player. He already has the 8th highest cap hit of any defenseman in the league this year. I don't know... its a tough call.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
Parise, a similar talent with a better track record, just last year signed a UFA deal with Minnesota for a smaller cap hit.

With a much larger annual value over the first 8 years of the deal.

We didn't have the option to add 3 years with total of 4M to this deal.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Good deal for both sides.

Perry (8.625 x 8) and Getzlaf (8.25) set the market for star UFA forwards last year under the new CBA which limits teams to 7/8 year deals.

Kessel could have negotiated like Perry for every last dollar but appears to have taken a bit less.

With Kessel only being 25 and playing a type of game where he should age very slowly once because it's a low physical impact style of impact I feel confident in saying Kessel will still be an elite point producer towards the end of that deal.

Chandrashekhar Limit

From the runaway slave to a modern day king.
Apr 2, 2009
Milky Way
Parise, a similar talent with a better track record, just last year signed a UFA deal with Minnesota for a smaller cap hit.

Like I said, you don't know how free agency works. Go learn the difference between the old and new CBA, then learn how free agency works, and finally apply it to this deal.

I am amazed at how many people don't know the difference term makes when it comes to money.

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
Literally this should be the least controversial signing the Leafs have ever made.

Complete no-brainer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad