Confirmed with Link: Kessel and a 4th to Arizona for Galchenyuk and PO Joseph

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeadPuckEra

Dec 19, 2014
Again, you can’t acquire Phil Kessel - and not know he has a shelf life with coaches/teams... then be upset when your shipping him out for less than his perceived value.

That was always going to be the case. His value to us came in the form of two championships.

So two cups, Galchenyuk and this D cat. I’ll take it.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Again, you can’t acquire Phil Kessel - and not know he has a shelf life with coaches/teams... then be upset when your shipping him out for less than his perceived value.

He has depreciating value because of the stigma (right or wrong) around him. We got value out of Phil in the form of cups. We were never going to deal him and get an equal player back.

We got two cups with Phil and the relationship ran it’s course as expected.

Arizona will be looking to deal him in 3 years as well.

If we kept him for another year it’d probably have been even harder to trade him based on where his overall game has been trending the last 1.5 seasons and being 33 to start the season.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I like how people are talking about how keeping a P/G player making 6.8 mil per was some sort of untenable situation, even though the GM explicitly said it wasn't.

We're talking about a league where Kevin Hayes and Tyler Myers are probably going to be making 7+ mil per.

DeadPuckEra

Dec 19, 2014
Also the guy is a malcontent. Time to cut him loose.

Honestly, after multiple years of watching the guy play - I don’t think he’s a malcontent and his teammates seem to have loved him.

I think he just plays his game, and most of the time Phil’s game is not the game his coaches are asking the rest of the team to play.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Pens17

Aug 3, 2009
Even though I’m a big Kessel fan, I have to admit it’s pretty odd Bomb found that info about Kessel and Chi disagreeing about him asking to be traded when in Boston.

Weird mix up happened twice like that? Seems strange,

Additionally, the summer before Kessel's arrival in Pittsburgh, he had an epiphany regarding physical improvement and body status. The guy trained with the ultimate work out warrior, Gary, the Beast, Roberts.

What the Pen’s have/had now in the approaching 32-year old Kessel and what arrived as the low body fat (Ok, lower body fat) model of 4-years back is likely significantly altered. Thus, and for many reasons, Phil is someone else’s issue and thanks for the memories!

ChrisKuuuunitz

4 time champ
Jan 14, 2015
there

have you guys watched his highlights, looks solid, almost every one of his goals is a nice one-timer, I like this trade

Last edited:

Terrapin

Mar 6, 2007
So we got a much worse, slower version of Kessel. Sweet.

I think it's time for good ol JR to up his Aricept and focus on bingo games in the nearest nursing home

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Additionally, the summer before Kessel's arrival in Pittsburgh, he had an epiphany regarding physical improvement and body status. The guy trained with the ultimate work out warrior, Gary, the Beast, Roberts.

What the Pen’s have/had now in the approaching 32-year old Kessel and what arrived as the low body fat (Ok, lower body fat) model of 4-years back is likely significantly altered. Thus, and for many reasons, Phil is someone else’s issue and thanks for the memories!
If anything Phil looks significantly more trim now, and it was the fat that gave him line driving powers. Now Phil is just empty carbs.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
The negativity on this board is f***ing nauseating.

People acting like we should have gotten a king's ransom for a player on the wrong side of 30, with, essentially a full no trade clause, and 3 years left on his contract, are dense.

We literally got the best out of Kessel for most of his time here and managed to flip him for a useful F who can play 2 positions, is much younger and a fair bit cheaper, AND a 20 year old former 1st round defensemen who seemingly is a pretty darn good prospect by everything I'm reading.

No wonder humanity has no long term future.

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
I like how people are talking about how keeping a P/G player making 6.8 mil per was some sort of untenable situation, even though the GM explicitly said it wasn't.

We're talking about a league where Kevin Hayes and Tyler Myers are probably going to be making 7+ mil per.
So I get this argument. My question is, how much did other factors just not make up for the point per game? Streakiness, not very good in the last 2 playoffs, not very good defensively? And probably the biggest thing - bit of a tarnished relationship with Sully (and maybe even JR/the organization in general with his most recent comments)?

I get it, the value for the scoring was nice. But like others have said, the whole “shelf life” thing seems real too. Plus Galchenyuk is slightly cheaper, younger, and don’t you think with Phil in Arizona and Galchenyuk here, their scoring is likely to go down and up from last year respectively?

Reactions: Riptide

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
So we got a much worse, slower version of Kessel. Sweet.

I think it's time for good ol JR to up his Aricept and focus on bingo games in the nearest nursing home

Also younger, cheaper, with no contract commitment and doesn’t want to be traded

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
So I get this argument. My question is, how much did other factors just not make up for the point per game? Streakiness, not very good in the last 2 playoffs, not very good defensively? And probably the biggest thing - bit of a tarnished relationship with Sully (and maybe even JR/the organization in general with his most recent comments)?

I get it, the value for the scoring was nice. But like others have said, the whole “shelf life” thing seems real too. Plus Galchenyuk is slightly cheaper, younger, and don’t you think with Phil in Arizona and Galchenyuk here, their scoring is likely to go down and up from last year respectively?

Galchenyuk has the same weaknesses as Kessel and isn't anywhere close to his strengths.

The "bad team for Chucky, good team for Phil" argument gives the impression that Galchenyuk performed well relative to his teammates. He did not. He got dusted at ES by the likes of Josh Archibald, and not only by him.

Kessel was a bargain at what he got paid. Galchenyuk is overpaid for what he brings. That's a bad way to save money.

DeadPuckEra

Dec 19, 2014
The negativity on this board is ****ing nauseating.

People acting like we should have gotten a king's ransom for a player on the wrong side of 30, with, essentially a full no trade clause, and 3 years left on his contract, are dense.

We literally got the best out of Kessel for most of his time here and managed to flip him for a useful F who can play 2 positions, is much younger and a fair bit cheaper, AND a 20 year old former 1st round defensemen who seemingly is a pretty darn good prospect by everything I'm reading.

No wonder humanity has no long term future.

One look at AZ’s board and the only way they’re coping with dealing the D prospect is they have another D they’re high on in the pipeline.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
It is what it is. At least this stupid saga is over. They were hellbent on trading him and his NTC was constructed in such a way that the return was always going to be questionable. I don't at all care for Gally but Joseph seems like he could be a nice piece. All in all can't ***** about the return over much considering the circumstances. Though I'm far from confident this helps them much right now.

I do have to admit it's funny that all the stuff people were hammering Kessel for are basically the same things Gally struggles with.

And also insisting we trade Kessel at all costs and then being disappointed by the return.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Less about the 6.8, more about the 9.5 he was hurting.

Even if that were the case, Galchenyuk is supposed to help this, how? By being as bad defensively and nowhere near as good offensively?

They didn't add somebody with different characteristics that would help Geno. They added a player with the same warts, only much worse.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I'm kidding myself that I'm going to actually go running in this 100 degree heat.

I’m trying to decide between doing hills or sprints in the nauseating heat in Pgh and I keep coming to the conclusion it wasn’t worth sleeping in today... and I f***ing hate summer.

Glad someone else will be suffering like me at least...

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I’m trying to decide between doing hills or sprints in the nauseating heat in Pgh and I keep coming to the conclusion it wasn’t worth sleeping in today... and I ****ing hate summer.

Glad someone else will be suffering like me at least...

At least people in Pittsburgh don't think air conditioning gives you throat cancer, like here. :laugh: It's 90 in my apartment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad