Confirmed with Link: Kessel and a 4th to Arizona for Galchenyuk and PO Joseph

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anchors

Jun 30, 2019
Not sure if anyone watched it but Galchenyuk actually digs in, and he can one-time the puck all day. He is a spark we'll need and I wish Phil the coaster good luck on his Arizona ventures.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Finally a lot of people with the level-headed approach. It's done now and we all knew it could go down like this as soon as we traded for him. In fact.. a lot of people called this the best case scenario. Win cups with him and move on before it gets too late. We shall see. Like @3ladesof5teel - i was in a "keep kessel" boat but I was also okay with a move like this if it got us younger and made sense. To me - this makes lots of sense because our "risk" of Gals is so ****ing tiny. If he sucks this year, oh well. Move on. If he clicks w/ G.... wonderful. Awesome stuff.

I know we are like 3 days from this being ruined, but I see a lot of under 26 guys and I like that. But we HAVE to get JJ out of here.

Easier said than done. Everyone knows that he sucks. The cost could be painful to get someone to take him off the Pens' hands.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
How on earth was the return on Kessel this bad?

I feel for you Pittsburgers. As a Canucks fan I've had to deal with my share of GM blunders.

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
Okay so I'm digging around to try to find some positives with Galchenyuk.

1. Even though he's been a drag on possession the past three seasons, the two prior seasons (14-15 and 15-16) he drove play pretty well. So this is more about reclamation than anything else.
2. Last season he played most of his time with Clayton Keller, who is also horrible defensively. It's possible that as a line that unit just eschewed defence entirely and that with more veteran players like Geno and Rust he'll be a little bit more exertive.
3. His analytics suggest that his isolated impact on the PP is even greater than Phil's is.

That's all I got here. Still not happy about this.

Reactions: Peat

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Kessel is:
11th in goals
12th in points
vs
Galchenyuk is:
119th in goals
122th in points

Over the last 3 seasons. This move doesnt help you win now, nor does it help you win later.

You need to look beyond that. Kessel struggled in the second half of last season, especially at ES. He also didn't want third line minutes and Malkin didn't like playing with him.

He's 32, could start declining but we get a young Winger and a top prospect.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
You need to look beyond that. Kessel struggled in the second half of last season, especially at ES. He also didn't want third line minutes and Malkin didn't like playing with him.

He's 32, could start declining but we get a young Winger and a top prospect.

Damn. Wish I had your optimism.

Reactions: domaug

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Not sure if anyone watched it but Galchenyuk actually digs in, and he can one-time the puck all day. He is a spark we'll need and I wish Phil the coaster good luck on his Arizona ventures.

I noticed two things from that video. He scores empty net goals and does one thing Phillip can not, slapshot goals.

Reactions: Trade

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
There was no way the Pens were getting top dollar return for Kessel. His 8 team list basically made it that way. JR and Sully burned the bridge with Kessel (or Kessel did with them, I don't know) and it had to be done, unfortunately. Galchenyuk is a much worse version, but he still has some value. I'm intrigued by Joseph though, I want to see what the Pens have there. A fast skating puck mover is exactly what they need in the future (hell, they need it now) and their defensive prospect pool is very thin. I'm surprised they got him thrown in, so it's a better return than I expected though the Pens are a worse team now than when they were yesterday.

Deas

Feb 3, 2017
A bit PP heavy but I like the variation in his arsenal. That's one timers, snipes, dekes, a re-direct or two, and nicely enough quite a few hustling goals in close.

Edit: These are highlights of course, and as mentioned PP heavy highlights. Reading some of the other reports on his game here isn't too uplifting.

Last edited:

froods

I blame Paul Martin and Jack Johnson
Aug 28, 2009
Fort Erie, ON
There was no way the Pens were getting top dollar return for Kessel. His 8 team list basically made it that way. JR and Sully burned the bridge with Kessel (or Kessel did with them, I don't know) and it had to be done, unfortunately. Galchenyuk is a much worse version, but he still has some value. I'm intrigued by Joseph though, I want to see what the Pens have there. A fast skating puck mover is exactly what they need in the future (hell, they need it now) and their defensive prospect pool is very thin. I'm surprised they got him thrown in, so it's a better return than I expected though the Pens are a worse team now than when they were yesterday.
Let’s call it what it really is, a 1 team list. Sure there were 8 names on the list, but he constructed it in a way that Zona was the only feasible place he could go.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Phil Kessel did not want to be in Pittsburgh and management didn't want Phil Kessel to be in Pittsburgh. We can be upset about the return and how Galchenyuk finished in the top 200 in ES points and how Galchenyuk somehow wronged your family personally so you don't like him, but fact of the matter is this was the best we could get. Zucker was a better deal, but that is not what Phil wanted to do and that was his right. For people who like beat the team up over asset management, they actually got something for a guy they had zero leverage with. People should be jumping for joy. Phil was not going to be a Penguin in October.

To the people who are crapping on this thread I ask this:

What did you want with Phil Kessel and his contract? Keep him throughout the contract? OR what did you want to trade him for?

To those who absolutely love this trade I ask this:

You do realize we lost an elite goal-scorer who could change a game in a blink of an eye, right? That is irreplaceable and the guy produced. Can't deny that.

Someone can love the trade because we got something for an asset we were completely backed against a wall with. I was preparing to lose him for a 5th round pick, so I'm pleasantly surprised. We got a 25 year old back in return that will be a 20 goal guy here and we are free of all contractual obligation next season if he sucks. No risk.

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
I haven’t dug through all the threads so sorry if this has been posted before, but has anyone ever seen PO Joseph play? He seems kind of similar to Marcus Pettersson.

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA
I haven’t dug through all the threads so sorry if this has been posted before, but has anyone ever seen PO Joseph play? He seems kind of similar to Marcus Pettersson.
Funny, from what I read about him, that’s who he reminded me of.

Reactions: xlm34

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
If the Pens replace JJ with a good PMD I wouldn’t be shocked at all to see them score more than they did last year, without Kessel.

Does anyone believe this is remotely possible? Where is this mythical PMD coming from while JJ flies off magically to another team?

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Phil Kessel did not want to be in Pittsburgh and management didn't want Phil Kessel to be in Pittsburgh. We can be upset about the return and how Galchenyuk finished in the top 200 in ES points and how Galchenyuk somehow wronged your family personally so you don't like him, but fact of the matter is this was the best we could get. Zucker was a better deal, but that is not what Phil wanted to do and that was his right. For people who like beat the team up over asset management, they actually got something for a guy they had zero leverage with. People should be jumping for joy. Phil was not going to be a Penguin in October.

Someone can love the trade because we got something for an asset we were completely backed against a wall with. I was preparing to lose him for a 5th round pick, so I'm pleasantly surprised. We got a 25 year old back in return that will be a 20 goal guy here and we are free of all contractual obligation next season if he sucks. No risk.

The Penguins had all the leverage in the world - they had him signed to a deal.

They made the choice to sell him for pennies on the dollar to get a lesser player on an expiring contract, making them no better in the areas where Kessel struggled and exponentially worse in the areas where Kessel thrived.

People complained about Kessel's ES production but are twisting themselves into pretzels to justify moving him for a player who got outscored at ES last season by a teammate who we punted from our 4th line a couple years ago. Among many other Arizona ditch diggers.

ES production and defense. That was the mantra when people were talking about why we ought to trade Kessel. That flew out the window pretty quick once people saw the return and had to reverse-engineer a rationalization.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
To the people who are crapping on this thread I ask this:

What did you want with Phil Kessel and his contract? Keep him throughout the contract? OR what did you want to trade him for?

To those who absolutely love this trade I ask this:

You do realize we lost an elite goal-scorer who could change a game in a blink of an eye, right? That is irreplaceable and the guy produced. Can't deny that.

Not sure I love the trade, but I was warned Kessel was gone many months ago, and made quite aware the return wouldn’t be earth shattering.

I was able to make peace with it and enjoy watching him play his final games as a Pen.

Deep down I knew this day was coming on the day they traded for him, and during the euphoria of that Kessel trade four years ago, many of us agreed he wouldn’t play out his contract here.

Pens got two cups out of him and the dream of him being a Penguin I once thought impossible when Shero passed him over, actually came true.

We got to see our generational centers play with one of the best wingers of his era... we are lucky mofos. Think about how crazy that is...

Now did the Pens get better? I dunno, let’s see what else JR does but reading the Coyotes board how stoked they are to finally have a big name star like Kessel makes me realize how spoiled we are.

Lucky Luke

Jun 17, 2006
PO Joseph has a bright future with the Pens.
As for Coaster Kessel and Drag My Feet Galchenyuk, they are both KHL material.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Finally a lot of people with the level-headed approach. It's done now and we all knew it could go down like this as soon as we traded for him. In fact.. a lot of people called this the best case scenario. Win cups with him and move on before it gets too late. We shall see. Like @3ladesof5teel - i was in a "keep kessel" boat but I was also okay with a move like this if it got us younger and made sense. To me - this makes lots of sense because our "risk" of Gals is so ****ing tiny. If he sucks this year, oh well. Move on. If he clicks w/ G.... wonderful. Awesome stuff.

I know we are like 3 days from this being ruined, but I see a lot of under 26 guys and I like that. But we HAVE to get JJ out of here.

At the end of the day as great as Kessel was here and how much he produced last year, there was only one spot he was willing to play and playing him there made Genos line a net negative. So you have two of your top forwards combining to actually hurt your team.

That just cant happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->