Confirmed with Link: Kessel and a 4th to Arizona for Galchenyuk and PO Joseph

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
By the way, for those bemoaning the loss of star talent, the Pens now have: Poulin, Addisson, Joseph, Legare, Hallander, Bellerive, a 1st round pick next year, and a more flexible cap situation. It’s not stacked, but the organization has actual draft/prospect/cap capital which allows JR to be in on big moves if available.

Terrapin

Mar 6, 2007
Also younger, cheaper, with no contract commitment and doesn’t want to be traded

Give me a 30 year old with great talent over a 21 year old scrub any day of the week. The obsession with youth and speed around here is ridiculous.

Kessels contract is an absolute steal.

Reactions: Aiastelmon

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
Galchenyuk has the same weaknesses as Kessel and isn't anywhere close to his strengths.

The "bad team for Chucky, good team for Phil" argument gives the impression that Galchenyuk performed well relative to his teammates. He did not. He got dusted at ES by the likes of Josh Archibald, and not only by him.

Kessel was a bargain at what he got paid. Galchenyuk is overpaid for what he brings. That's a bad way to save money.
Ok, even if we can just put a blanket on it and agree on that, I just don’t see after last season how it was going to still work here with Phil given the apparent tension and constant trade talks.

Regardless, if next season doesn’t go well, I think there will be plenty of other things to point at before complaining about Kessel being traded. Namely the D. And we can mostly agree Jack Johnson sucks.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
By the way, for those bemoaning the loss of star talent, the Pens now have: Poulin, Addisson, Joseph, Legare, Hallander, Bellerive, a 1st round pick next year, and a more flexible cap situation. It’s not stocked, but the organization has actual draft/prospect/cap capital which allows JR to be in on big moves if available.

Not only that, but they've also added McCann, Pettersson and such to the NHL team

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
The negativity on this board is ****ing nauseating.

People acting like we should have gotten a king's ransom for a player on the wrong side of 30, with, essentially a full no trade clause, and 3 years left on his contract, are dense.

We literally got the best out of Kessel for most of his time here and managed to flip him for a useful F who can play 2 positions, is much younger and a fair bit cheaper, AND a 20 year old former 1st round defensemen who seemingly is a pretty darn good prospect by everything I'm reading.

No wonder humanity has no long term future.
Nauseating is the perfect term. To be fair it’s a handful of the typical posters beating the same drum. If you actually look at the circumstances it’s the best we could do.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Give me a 30 year old with great talent over a 21 year old scrub any day of the week. The obsession with youth and speed around here is ridiculous.

Kessel is going to be 32 and given that he hurts Malkin and apparently asks for trades when put on the third line now, the cost of having him on the roster is a lot more than 6.8.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
Not sure if anyone watched it but Galchenyuk actually digs in, and he can one-time the puck all day. He is a spark we'll need and I wish Phil the coaster good luck on his Arizona ventures.

What I love about this video is how many gritty/quick hand goals he scored around the goal. I could see him and Sid rotating on and off the crease on the PP looking for tips and one timers.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
By the way, for those bemoaning the loss of star talent, the Pens now have: Poulin, Addisson, Joseph, Legare, Hallander, Bellerive, a 1st round pick next year, and a more flexible cap situation. It’s not stacked, but the organization has actual draft/prospect/cap capital which allows JR to be in on big moves if available.

Stop making logical arguments.

Some on here just want a carbon copy of the Blackhawks trajectory.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Even if that were the case, Galchenyuk is supposed to help this, how? By being as bad defensively and nowhere near as good offensively?

They didn't add somebody with different characteristics that would help Geno. They added a player with the same warts, only much worse.

If he can't bounce back/find a better chemistry with Geno, which is more than plausible, you move him to a different line or off the team and there's no issues.

This isn't the killer answer I was hoping for, but it could work, and we get flexibility if it doesn't.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Ok, even if we can just put a blanket on it and agree on that, I just don’t see after last season how it was going to still work here with Phil given the apparent tension and constant trade talks.

Regardless, if next season doesn’t go well, I think there will be plenty of other things to point at before complaining about Kessel being traded. Namely the D. And we can mostly agree Jack Johnson sucks.

We can all agree Jack Johnson sucks.

Being able to complain about other things wrong with the team is small consolation when they just got demonstrably worse because they went ego-trippin' again. RIP Ian Cole.

His best feature is that you can get rid of him.

Sad part is that's probably true.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018

It might not be true, I dunno, there’s a lot of smoke about Kessel being demonstrably unhappy when played on the third line. A quote a month ago said that he had told them to trade him if they thought he was a third liner. Now, that could be Phil being tongue in cheek and the media just ripping it out of context.. but there’s a decent amount of bits to suggest that he wasn’t always pleased about being in Pittsburgh.

Reactions: Riptide

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China

I hope he does well/has fun in the desert.

But as someone who has been openly pining for Kessel to be traded for two years, I can only say that a player being a gigantic turd 5 on 5 and making Evgeni Malkin lose his shit so much as to be a pedestrian asset, that is not a steal of a contract no matter how many points you’re in on when on the PP. That is a player you absolutely have to trade.

Anyone not understanding that to me is just not comprehending what he is seeing.

The only issue was not getting completely reamed due to his NTC, and JR richly avoided embarrassment. What Chucky does will determine, whether it ultimately is a success, but standing pat just wasn’t an option.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Another small thing I like about this trade -

I feel like the 15/16 team was driven to an extent by having chips on their shoulder by being traded out by previous teams. Well, Chucky has plenty of reason to want to prove everyone wrong. There should be no shortage of motivation there.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I hope he does well/has fun in the desert.

But as someone who has been openly pining for Kessel to be traded for two years, I can only say that a player being a gigantic turd 5 on 5 and making Evgeni Malkin lose his **** so much as to be a pedestrian asset, that is not a steal of a contract no matter how many points you’re in on when on the PP. That is a player you absolutely have to trade.

Anyone not understanding that to me is just not comprehending what he is seeing.

The only issue was not getting completely reamed due to his NTC, and JR richly avoided embarrassment. What Chucky does will determine, whether it ultimately is a success, but standing pat just wasn’t an option.

The only reason for keeping him was if you genuinely believed that Crosby or Malkin can’t run a powerplay, or if you genuinely believed that he would change his mind/game to suit the third line.

TheCrosbyShow

Jan 29, 2016
Pittsburgh
Anybody remember when this team was fighting to make the playoffs towards the end of the season? From 2/1/18 to 3/31/18, a 29 game span, Phil had 3 goals. Zero even strength goals. He was an absolute ghost. He's going to be turning 32. I appreciate everything he did for this team but as he ages he's only going to get streakier. It was time for him to go before you really could get nothing of value for him.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Stop making logical arguments.

Some on here just want a carbon copy of the Blackhawks trajectory.
No one wants the Penguins to fail. It’s just some of us aren’t in the mindset of we just won 2 cups 2 years ago, so everyone is great and fully trusting our idiot coach and gm.

Our window is maybe 2 or so more years. We lost the Kessel trade in the short term. That’s all.

I am just so sick of Sullivan running players out of town. He was a journeyman and a joke of a coach until he stumbled into this job when Bylsma was fired.

I just think it’s foolish to dump a guy that did score a ppg for a guy that produces at half as much when you are trying to contend next year. Yea, some of those points were on the pp.

Our best RW is now Hornqvist....let that sink in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad