Confirmed with Link: Kessel and a 4th to Arizona for Galchenyuk and PO Joseph

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
He didn't want to be here. Only someone who has absolutely no idea how a hockey team works (or any sports team in general) would suggest keeping a disgruntled player in the name of asset management. If a player doesn't want to be part of the team, the best course for the team is to rid themselves and bring in players that do want to be there. This isn't a video game.

Smart GMs don't move a player for a shit return ASAP simply because the player has requested a trade at some point.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
we were always gonna get worse from trading Kessel, it was just a matter of how much worse. It still remains to be seen.

Technically Pens just have to win one playoff game to be better than last season.

Obviously they could miss the playoffs I suppose, but the bar from last season hasn’t been set as low since maybe 2014.

Reactions: Andy99 and KIRK

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
The fact that we got Galchenyuk + a decent prospect for Kessel when Arizona was the *only* team with a realistic chance of acquiring him tells me that the GMs are still an old boys club and nobody's out to fleece anyone else.

I thought this to myself numerous times. It's all in the name of diplomacy. In that industry, you may be fired tomorrow and end up in a different situation with the shoe on the other foot.

Reactions: Jacob

JRS91

Jul 4, 2010
I don't think we got any better.. the Pens will probably get less offense from Gally, the same amount of defense (from what I have seen), and slower. I'm not sure how we get better, unless I'm simply wrong about Galchenyuk - which I 100% want to be wrong.

But, that's just this move in a vacuum. What we do with cap space/the rest of the offseason is what matters. And on that note, I have no idea what Gally's contract looks like.

I already said that.

He's not as productive or as fast as Kessel. I disagree about defense, I think he's better in that department. That said, you trade a disgruntled player for a 25 year old who only 3 years ago had a 30 goal season. Who has carried the offense of one of the worst offensive teams in the league. I think if you put him alongside Malkin and Rust, he'll do absolutely fine.

The Penguins also get a good defensive prospect. Granted, he's about 3 years away from being NHL ready, but the Penguins get younger. That's what Rutherford has wanted to do. He managed to swap a disgruntled player for a younger, talented player that isn't a long-term investment. There's no commitment if Galchenyuk doesn't fit, then you don't re-sign him. If he does and and wants to remain with the team, great, bring him back. I think it was a solid trade for both sides. You're not going to win every trade in a landslide.

NoMessi

Jan 2, 2009
The fact that we got Galchenyuk + a decent prospect for Kessel when Arizona was the *only* team with a realistic chance of acquiring him tells me that the GMs are still an old boys club and nobody's out to fleece anyone else.

I gotta be honest, I really like that. The effects of an awful trade or two can put your team back hard as it is.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Sure, but Gally also has worked with muckers before and Bjugstad and Horny needed a finisher

That line would have a higher cap hit than HBK.

Maybe we'd then call the 2nd line 'The Sloppy Seconds Line'?

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Smart GMs don't move a player for a **** return ASAP simply because the player has requested a trade at some point.

It wasn't a shit return. It was the best return we were ever going to get. Phil has a no trade list. 7 teams we couldn't trade him to because they had cap constraints or they didn't want him. AZ was the only team he could have gone to and staying in Pittsburgh was no longer an option. He didn't want to be here and the coaching staff didn't want him.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Because teams would make UFA decisions impacting the ability to move him without cap retention?

Right, there was no public bickering.

And there was no reason they HAD to move Kessel this summer. That's an artificial time frame. Again, look at what Yzerman did with Drouin. He bid his time and waited to get a good return.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
They would clearly add, right?

giphy.gif

Reactions: ColePens

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

And there was no reason they HAD to move Kessel this summer. That's an artificial time frame. Again, look at what Yzerman did with Drouin. He bid his time and waited to get a good return.

What do you mean there was no public bickering? JR and Kessel basically just called each other in the media less than a few hours ago.

If you don’t understand the difference between moving an RFA Drouin and 32 year old NTC holding Kessel. I mean.

JRS91

Jul 4, 2010
I remember when Maple Leafs fans thought the return they got for Kessel was "underwhelming".

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I think we have over 6 million
Capfriendly has us at $5.09 million free. We still have to re-sign ZAR, Petts and Blueger.

If we want to chase a bigger fish, even someone making $5 million, we need to dump JJ. Well, we need to dump JJ at any rate, and it'll likely cost us a significant piece (I believe it'll be Rust), but that's a move that has to be made before we worry about any bigger names.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018

Yea... that’s going to fly with Kessel. That’s definitely the same thing. :help:

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I hope you're right about JJ, but I think that's far too optimistic. :laugh:

I still think we need a significant LD for the middle pairing. I'm entirely content running with a Petts-Riikola bottom pairing and shipping out Gudbranson for that much more cap wiggle room.

Our middle pair is above average against the rest of the league. A better middle pairing defenseman would be a luxury as Schultz is a pretty solid 3-4, and Petterson showed flashed of being a good middle pair guy himself. The best you could hope for is a guy who could play top pair mins and matchups, but they go for 7-8m these days.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Capfriendly has us at $5.09 million free. We still have to re-sign ZAR, Petts and Blueger.

If we want to chase a bigger fish, even someone making $5 million, we need to dump JJ. Well, we need to dump JJ at any rate, and it'll likely cost us a significant piece (I believe it'll be Rust), but that's a move that has to be made before we worry about any bigger names.

We could technically sign someone and deal with the RFAs.

Or as many have alluded. Sign someone then move Gally for peanuts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad