Confirmed with Link: Kessel and a 4th to Arizona for Galchenyuk and PO Joseph

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Then you keep him, because he's a lot better than the guy he was traded for, and on a bargain deal. As JR himself said:

“There were times that they didn’t agree on things, maybe as to what line he was on or whatnot, but that’s not an isolated case. That happens lots of times throughout our league. That was not the factor of him being moved. He certainly could have stayed here and they could have coexisted.

They would have coexisted is not how you wanted this to be. Coexisted means that he would have showed up to play, but he didn't want to be coached by Mike Sullivan. He wanted to be coached by Rick Tocchet. You don't want the tension between the two, you don't want the distraction, and freeing up the money was also necessary. JR wanted to get free long term of that contract, and that was the correct move.

Phil Kessel being kept as a Pittsburgh Penguin was not an option. If it was an option, trading him wouldn't have been considered as the team didn't have any leverage.

I'm probably a bad person to discuss this with because I'm absolutely sure Schultz is gone next summer and I'd have liked JR to get aggressive and go after somebody like Trouba to play that 2RD spot.

I'm just not sold on Schultz at all anymore. Particularly a Cole-less Schultz.

We are in disagreement of who made whom.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
There's still a move or two to come, before we bash this deal let's see how things play out over the next week or so. We got younger, added a good D prospect and gained cap space without having much leverage in the process. Yes we gave up the best player in the deal, and certainly that's a concern, but I still hold out some hope that when it's all said and done this summer, we're moving in the right direction.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Oh wow, Kessel produced at an elite level with Evgeni Malkin. So did James Neal, who went back to a 50 point forward after the Penguins shipped him off. I don't know about you, but comparing the production of one guy who played with Malkin and Crosby to another guy who....didn't play with Crosby and Malkin seems pretty disingenuous and lazy to me.

Kessel has always produced at a much higher level than Galchenyuk has, wherever he played.

Reactions: JackFr

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
True, but his 2nd and 3rd most productive season at ES came in Toronto . . .

That was also like a half decade ago. He's not even remotely the same player he was in 2013, there's no way the Penguins would even entertain moving him if he was still at that level.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
They would have coexisted is not how you wanted this to be. Coexisted means that he would have showed up to play, but he didn't want to be coached by Mike Sullivan. He wanted to be coached by Rick Tocchet. You don't want the tension between the two, you don't want the distraction, and freeing up the money was also necessary.

Phil Kessel being kept as a Pittsburgh Penguin was not an option. If it was an option, trading him wouldn't have been considered as the team didn't have any leverage.

I'll take a disgruntled P/G player over a gruntled 40 point player with the same shortcomings any day.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

I went over this in reply to @ObsessedCreative, who noted another site showed 5.1M cap space.

The site he quoted showed Riikola and Trotman among 8 signed defensemen. Obviously, we won't have all 8 defensemen once Pettersson is signed.

BUT, the site I (and now you) cite shows Trotman among 7 signed defensemen with Riikola in the minors.

Anyway, depending upon which one actually stays, they have 5.925-6.075M in cap space.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Kessel has always produced at a much higher level than Galchenyuk has, wherever he played.

Neato. But that's irrelevant of the fact that we're talking about now, so comparing productions for 2 players in 2 significantly different situations is disingenuous without citing those differences.

I'll make a claim now, if Malkin and Galchenyuk click, Galchenyuk outscores Kessel next year.

Reactions: Dominance

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Well, we didn't win the Staal trade. We got worse for years.

You're basing our advantage on projecting good moves yet to be made. We're a contender built to win for the next couple years, and right now we're a worse team.

Yeah, I don’t view things in a vacuum. And Kessel didn’t fit in our top six. So there is easily a chance this is a lateral move if our 2nd line is better next year.

Reactions: Dominance

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Neato. But that's irrelevant of the fact that we're talking about now, so comparing productions for 2 players in 2 significantly different situations is disingenuous without citing those differences.

I'll make a claim now, if Malkin and Galchenyuk click, Galchenyuk outscores Kessel next year.

If you have some data manipulation that accounts for that much difference in production based on linemates, I'd love to see it.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Should be able to get Pettersson, ZAR & Blueger done for under 4.5m total.

Still doesn’t leave us much to play with without moving Johnson.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Just gonna leave this here:

Yeah but no, noooooo JR is clearly just making this up to dump on Kessel and Sullivan is just a big bad bully.

The fact that we got Galchenyuk + a decent prospect for Kessel when Arizona was the *only* team with a realistic chance of acquiring him tells me that the GMs are still an old boys club and nobody's out to fleece anyone else.

Yes and no. Arizona wanted Kessel too. They didn't "take" him. That said, they needed to move out salary to accommodate him. JR obviously likes Galchenyuk. The deal makes sense.

Ask yourself how the Penguins got better with this deal.

I'm interested to know.

Phil Kessel and his bullshit attitude are off the team.

Quick, now dump JJ+Rust for futures and sign Anders Lee.

No. Anders Lee will get a contract that will be more disastrous to the team than what JJ is. Free agents in his mold NEVER work out as good deals.

I'll put 500 vcash on that. If Galchenyuk can accept a pass on the PP and one time it, he'll already be an improvement.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Yeah, I don’t view things in a vacuum. And Kessel didn’t fit in our top six. So there is easily a chance this is a lateral move if our 2nd line is better next year.

Ifs and buts.

All the talk prior to the trade was about getting a guy who was better defensively and on the possession front, a la Zucker. Now we get Kessel xtra-lite on a one year deal and people are crossing their fingers for better chemistry that will make up for the 40 point chasm.

Reactions: Shady Machine

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
I know Malkin will help Galchenyuk. I'm not sure that Galchenyuk will help Malkin.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
People do realize that Archibald (21) outscored Galchenyuk (20) at ES last year, right? In 4 fewer games, no less.

Kessel got raked over the coals for finishing with 46 ES points.

Reactions: Shady Machine
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->