Confirmed with Link: Kessel and a 4th to Arizona for Galchenyuk and PO Joseph

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
It wasn't a **** return. It was the best return we were ever going to get. Phil has a no trade list. 7 teams we couldn't trade him to because they had cap constraints or they didn't want him. AZ was the only team he could have gone to and staying in Pittsburgh was no longer an option. He didn't want to be here and the coaching staff didn't want him.
Don't bother. Some people just don't want to accept that Phil's expiration date had arrived and his value wasn't anywhere close to the "PPG player on a sweetheart deal" that they keep floating around.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
I already said that.

He's not as productive or as fast as Kessel. I disagree about defense, I think he's better in that department. That said, you trade a disgruntled player for a 25 year old who only 3 years ago had a 30 goal season. Who has carried the offense of one of the worst offensive teams in the league. I think if you put him alongside Malkin and Rust, he'll do absolutely fine.

The Penguins also get a good defensive prospect. Granted, he's about 3 years away from being NHL ready, but the Penguins get younger. That's what Rutherford has wanted to do. He managed to swap a disgruntled player for a younger, talented player that isn't a long-term investment. There's no commitment if Galchenyuk doesn't fit, then you don't re-sign him. If he does and and wants to remain with the team, great, bring him back. I think it was a solid trade for both sides. You're not going to win every trade in a landslide.

I can't help but feel like you think I'm arguing. I agree with everything you're saying (minus my thoughts on Gally, but I'll hold judgement until I see him play here), but also think the team is worse, and I'm bummed about the move because I like Kessel and did before he was in Pittsburgh. I wish adults could have been adult about it and made it work, whoever was at fault for the drama. It worked well enough to win two cups, after all.

I also don't know what you already said. I read like three posts before making mine.

Jobeycool

Jun 20, 2019
With a trade we have over 6 or 7 million...I would not count out Hornqvist getting traded..

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
But he’s a versatile asset even if it’s not a fit.

Jesus, we're really stretching things now.

Sure, he has the same problems as Phil and isn't half as good at the thing he's best at, but he can play LW or center!

It wasn't a **** return. It was the best return we were ever going to get. Phil has a no trade list. 7 teams we couldn't trade him to because they had cap constraints or they didn't want him. AZ was the only team he could have gone to and staying in Pittsburgh was no longer an option. He didn't want to be here and the coaching staff didn't want him.

Then you keep him, because he's a lot better than the guy he was traded for, and on a bargain deal. As JR himself said:

“There were times that they didn’t agree on things, maybe as to what line he was on or whatnot, but that’s not an isolated case. That happens lots of times throughout our league. That was not the factor of him being moved. He certainly could have stayed here and they could have coexisted.

Or maybe Kessel just isn't valuable as you think, seeing how he has been traded 3 times for "**** returns".

Then you keep him instead of trading him for a guy who has the same warts as Kessel but is half as productive and an impending UFA.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Our middle pair is above average against the rest of the league. A better middle pairing defenseman would be a luxury as Schultz is a pretty solid 3-4, and Petterson showed flashed of being a good middle pair guy himself. The best you could hope for is a guy who could play top pair mins and matchups, but they go for 7-8m these days.
I'm probably a bad person to discuss this with because I'm absolutely sure Schultz is gone next summer and I'd have liked JR to get aggressive and go after somebody like Trouba to play that 2RD spot.

I'm just not sold on Schultz at all anymore. Particularly a Cole-less Schultz.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Thought Fil would have gone for more.

Pens get a couple decent players though.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The absolute worse case scenario with Galchenyuk is that you probably get 40-50 points out of him this year and you let him walk as a free agent, which let's you enter the 2020 off-season with a dump truck of cap space. The best case scenario is that you acquired a young 30 goal scorer to play with Malkin, and you re-sign him to a contract similar to what Guentzel got. Both of those options sound better than keeping Kessel to me.

JRS91

Jul 4, 2010
I can't help but feel like you think I'm arguing. I agree with everything you're saying (minus my thoughts on Gally, but I'll hold judgement until I see him play here), but also think the team is worse, and I'm bummed about the move because I like Kessel and did before he was in Pittsburgh. I wish adults could have been adult about it and made it work, whoever was at fault for the drama. It worked well enough to win two cups, after all.

I also don't know what you already said. I read like three posts before making mine.

That's fair, I just think it had to be done.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Versatile in that the Pens immediately get 5 mill in cap space Under the worst case scenario. With Phil you run the risk of severe friction and 3 more years of it at a higher number.

The worst case scenario is the most likely one: that the Pens got no better in the areas where Kessel was a liability but a lot worse in the areas where Kessel was elite. Then they either sign him to an inflated UFA deal or JR wades into UFA again with a wad in his pocket, which is terrifying considering his track record.

Reactions: Shady Machine
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad