Confirmed with Link: Kessel and a 4th to Arizona for Galchenyuk and PO Joseph

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Ask yourself how the Penguins got better with this deal.

I'm interested to know.

Gally plays LW. Our biggest weakness is LW.

Gally is a UFA with no protection. If we want to sign say Lee or Zucc Monday. We can then we swap Gally to another team for a pick.

Our D prospect pool sucks. We added a player that projects a little bit less well than Addison.

We shipped out a player who reportedly requested trades multiple times over the last two years and got actual value back when he basically had a NTC that allowed him to move to one time.

How did we win the Staal trade?

Reactions: Dominance and KIRK

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh

I'm interested to know.

That's an unfair way to look at things when a salary cap exists.

You guys already know I've made my case for 81 to stay. But I also understand this aspect of the business, too.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Jack Johnson as Kessel's top 5on5 D partner, almost no time with Letang or Schultz. Playing with Malkin who he has no chemistry with, his next top linemates being Pearson then ZAR by ice time.

82 points, how many more ES points could Kessel have had if he wasn't set up to fail?

Reactions: JackFr

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

I'm interested to know.

1. Galchenyuk may actually fit with Malkin, and Malkin and Kessel were like oil and water.
2. Malkin won't defer to Galchenyuk like he did with Kessel, which is a big improvement for Malkin.
3. If you want to believe Rossi, the friction between Kessel and Sullivan also caused Malkin problems last year. That's another way that Malkin benefits.
4. They have more money to add to other areas of the roster.
5. Galchenyuk is more likely to improve going forward and Kessel is more likely to decline.
6. Galchenyuk plays LW and LW was a big need in the organization.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

Gally is a UFA with no protection. If we want to sign say Lee or Zucc Monday. We can then we swap Gally to another team for a pick.

Our D prospect pool sucks. We added a player that projects a little bit less well than Addison.

We shipped out a player who reportedly requested trades multiple times over the last two years and got actually value back when he basically had a NTC that allowed him to move. How did we win the Staal trade?

And in the process even better position thinks for renting a defenseman at the deadline.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
The absolute worse case scenario with Galchenyuk is that you probably get 40-50 points out of him this year and you let him walk as a free agent, which let's you enter the 2020 off-season with a dump truck of cap space. The best case scenario is that you acquired a young 30 goal scorer to play with Malkin, and you re-sign him to a contract similar to what Guentzel got. Both of those options sound better than keeping Kessel to me.
I wouldn't say we're going to have a dump truck of cap space. Schultz would free up 5.5 but that leaves us with a hole on D that'll need filled. Galchenyuk's 4.9 will go to cover raises for Murray, Simon, Kahun, and McCann. Plus maybe Riikola if he improves.

Jobeycool

Jun 20, 2019
If you can move Hornqvist you do that instead....because He gets banged up so much around the net by the end of the year He cannot take it anymore.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
1. Galchenyuk may actually fit with Malkin, and Malkin and Kessel were like oil and water.
2. Malkin won't defer to Galchenyuk like he did with Kessel, which is a big improvement for Malkin.
3. If you want to believe Rossi, the friction between Kessel and Sullivan also caused Malkin problems last year. That's another way that Malkin benefits.
4. They have more money to add to other areas of the roster.
5. Galchenyuk is more likely to improve going forward and Kessel is more likely to decline.
6. Galchenyuk plays LW and LW was a big need in the organization.

And yet Kessel produced at an elite level regardless, because - unlike Galchenyuk - he's an elite player.

Position, youth, and an extra 2 mil in cap space for one year for a demonstrably much worse player than Kessel is a pretty hard sell. Based on actual on-ice performance, the team took a serious hit.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
If you can move Hornqvist you do that instead....because He gets banged up so much around the net by the end of the year He cannot take it anymore.

He has a full NTC until 2021 where it turns into 8 teams...

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express

We shipped out a player who reportedly requested trades multiple times over the last two years and got actual value back when he basically had a NTC that allowed him to move to one time.

I guess I wonder how Addison projects more than Joseph when the latter was a 1st round pick who only turns 20 tomorrow.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
That's an unfair way to look at things when a salary cap exists.

You guys already know I've made my case for 81 to stay. But I also understand this aspect of the business, too.

We're a contender and we gave away an elite player for a much worse player with the same warts, and all we got for it in terms of how we can improve the team this year is 2 mil in cap space, whereafter the advantage ends because Kessel was cost-controlled on a bargain deal.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
And yet Kessel produced at an elite level regardless, because - unlike Galchenyuk - he's an elite player.

Position, youth, and an extra 2 mil in cap space for one year for a demonstrably much worse player than Kessel is a pretty hard sell. Based on actual on-ice performance, the team took a serious hit.
Phil's opposition produced at an elite level too.

heysmilinstrange

Nov 10, 2016
Quick, now dump JJ+Rust for futures and sign Anders Lee.

Y88sPTY.gif

Galchenyuk coming in makes Rust a must keep for me, Rust is absolutely what that Chucky-Malkin duo needs

You're probably right, though.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

Well, we didn't win the Staal trade. We got worse for years.

You're basing our advantage on projecting good moves yet to be made. We're a contender built to win for the next couple years, and right now we're a worse team.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Oh wow, Kessel produced at an elite level with Evgeni Malkin. So did James Neal, who went back to a 50 point forward after the Penguins shipped him off. I don't know about you, but comparing the production of one guy who played with Malkin and Crosby to another guy who....didn't play with Crosby and Malkin seems pretty disingenuous and lazy to me.

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018

You guys are foolish to look at what has happened in the past with Kessel. This trade is for the future of the team.

And if you believe Kessel is still an elite player with how he was performing for long stretches of the year last year, then I just question if you even watched the team play at all.

Kessel went something like 15 games where he didn’t score and was a complete liability last year.

Only reason he got to his PPG is because he went on a tear the first part of the season. The last part he looked absolutely terrible on multiple fronts.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Oh wow, Kessel produced at an elite level with Evgeni Malkin. So did James Neal, who went back to a 50 point forward after the Penguins shipped him off. I don't know about you, but comparing the production of one guy who played with Malkin and Crosby to another guy who....didn't play with Crosby and Malkin seems pretty disingenuous and lazy to me.

True, but his 2nd and 3rd most productive season at ES came in Toronto . . .

Reactions: JackFr
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad